Zandvoort

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Unc1eM0nty

Re: Zandvoort

Looks like it will be very windy being so close to the sea, great stuff, should be vary changeble weather too.

Capharol

Unc1eM0nty wrote:
02 Dec 2019, 15:21
Looks like it will be very windy being so close to the sea, great stuff, should be vary changeble weather too.
that will be the biggest challenge for the drivers and team, because it is near the sea the wind can change in speed or direction very fast.
this with the sand from the dunes makes it trickier that it looks

Big Tea

Unc1eM0nty wrote:
Used to go, and as there was little to rest the motorcycle stands on they usually ended up being blown over.
And you needed long tent pegs.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Big Tea

Big Tea wrote:
02 Dec 2019, 18:42
Unc1eM0nty wrote:
Used to go, and as there was little to rest the motorcycle stands on they usually ended up being blown over.
It was the days when beer came in bottles, today you just stamp a tin flat

And you needed long tent pegs.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Wouter

Short video: Circuit curve Circuit Zandvoort under construction for Dutch GP
In May 2020, Formula 1 returns to Zandvoort for the first time since 1985.
The Dutch Grand Prix is ​​provided with extra cachet because Circuit Zandvoort gets a real turn with a slope of eighteen degrees (about 32 percent).
Take a look at these drone images of home architect Dromo to see how the Arie Luyendyk curve is currently being converted into a spectacular turn.
https://motorsport.tv/embed/sr16Nmiq?autoplay
The Power of Dreams!

FW17

Looks horrible

MtthsMlw

Scorpaguy

...is it just me, or does this layout seem to be a great place for a drivers parade/procession race?

PlatinumZealot

Scorpaguy wrote:
02 Dec 2019, 19:51
...is it just me, or does this layout seem to be a great place for a drivers parade/procession race?
It is, actually! Not sure what can save it.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

TwanV

I thought the same initially but I think it will be fine; a little like interlagos, the last corner is all important. Besides... It's the Netherlands in spring, it will rain ;)

NathanOlder

Talking about the banking, for comparisons,

Daytona start finish tri-oval section is 18 degrees of banking.

GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

zac510

Every time there's a new circuit forum users complain that it looks terrible. It's painfully predictable.
I recall when Turkey was announced, someone said that the access circuit looked better than the actual circuit. Turkey turned out to be a rare exception of a modern circuit that actually gave us good racing every year.

Juzh

PlatinumZealot wrote:
02 Dec 2019, 20:09
Scorpaguy wrote:
Main straight, with it's banked corners preceding it, is give or take the same overall length as the one in suzuka, so this gives me some hope.

edit. I just had a look at the video from a few posts above and if it's anywhere close to accurate, because second to last corner is already banked somewhat exit speed is much higher than I originally expected. This is actually a lot better for slipstreaming compared to what we have in suzuka where cars are coming from a very slow corner and the car ahead always gets 3-4 car lengths advantage simply from being on the power 0.4s earlier. This advantage will be much reduced in zandvoort. Good.

Track itself looks like it's gonna be lots of fun for drivers.

And we also get another "puohon" type corner, which will push cars to their limits:

mertol

PlatinumZealot wrote:
02 Dec 2019, 20:09
Scorpaguy wrote:
I know - bring back the old layout.

RZS10

MtthsMlw wrote:
02 Dec 2019, 19:30
https://youtu.be/_ypVsOpi-dI
No clue how accurate this is but it looks like they'll remove pretty much every non-major elevation change, bump or roughness of the track, turning it into a completely flat characterless mess.