2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
LM10

Re: 2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

waynes wrote:
13 Dec 2019, 12:45
LM10 wrote:
13 Dec 2019, 10:59
Why would he want his hands to be on a Mercedes power unit?
not sure if you've noticed but its the best overall unit.
No, I’ve not noticed that. Maybe you can explain.
But even if that’s the case, the times you would want to change to a Mercedes powered team just because of the PU are gone for 2 years now at least.

kfrantzios

LM10 wrote:
13 Dec 2019, 10:59
waynes wrote:
12 Dec 2019, 13:17
Mclaren Mercedes with Vettel?

He's certainly not getting a seat at the Mercedes works team, so why not go to Mclaren to get his hands on a Mercedes power unit?

I like this. Sainz to Ferrari backing up Leclerc
Why would he want his hands to be on a Mercedes power unit?
You cant blame a 4 times WC who names his cars Kinky Kylie or Luscious Liz when he wants to put his hands on a Power Unit...

waynes

kfrantzios wrote:
13 Dec 2019, 13:25
You cant blame a 4 times WC who names his cars Kinky Kylie or Luscious Liz when he wants to put his hands on a Power Unit...
=D>
LM10 wrote:
13 Dec 2019, 13:05

No, I’ve not noticed that. Maybe you can explain.
But even if that’s the case, the times you would want to change to a Mercedes powered team just because of the PU are gone for 2 years now at least.
this thread's about Mclaren, i'm not going further off topic talking about the power units

Darth-Piekus

What did I miss?

kfrantzios

Regarding the new simulator
This is the current McLaren simulator

This is the RedBull simulator

This is the famous Ferrari "spider" simulator that will be renewed as well

My question is, Are these the real simulators teams use? I guess not (except maybe for Ferrari), but if they are, what could be novel in the new Gen 3? Rolling road?

the EDGE

kfrantzios wrote:
13 Dec 2019, 22:39
Regarding the new simulator
This is the current McLaren simulator
https://i.imgur.com/pyFjOcy.jpg

This is the RedBull simulator
https://i.imgur.com/6PwZ5sM.jpg

This is the famous Ferrari "spider" simulator that will be renewed as well
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7174/671 ... 93b8_o.jpg

My question is, Are these the real simulators teams use? I guess not (except maybe for Ferrari), but if they are, what could be novel in the new Gen 3? Rolling road?
Well certainly not a rolling road, the thing about a simulator is it needs to act like the car, and the car goes around corners... you’d have real trouble doing that with a rolling road 😂

In terms of ‘novalty’ a realistic environmental feeling for the driver would be cool, complete 360’ 3d screens, Dolby Atmos surround sound (popcorn holder) etc.

In reality I don’t think the 3rd gen will differ too much in terms of construction, by the sounds of it, it’s the computing power where progress will be made, more parameters will be able to be programmed into it, the between the software & hardware it will be a lot more representative in terms of the behaviour to the car than has been previously possible, including engine mapping, behaviour etc.

And yes, I think they're all real sims, McLarens and Redbulls are interior view and Ferrari’s is an exterior view

SmallSoldier

Agreed, the biggest change is not only the amount of variables that can be analyzed simultaneously, but also how detailed those variables are... Is mostly on processing power that there will be a change

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

McL-H

I would say that Norris would need to improve quite a bit in 2020 and show he can fight Sainz in both qualifying as in the race. If not, I wouldn’t be surprised if McLaren would indeed sign Vettel for 2021.

I do think however, that the talent in Norris is definitely there. He has shown this on numerous occasions, especially in Spa. He has finished his rookie season (in which he hasn’t really made many mistakes), he has gotten used to the team, to the car and to the circuits F1 drives at across the season. All this will help him a lot in 2020. But there are no more excuses. If he cannot push Sainz in race pace, someone else needs to. And in contrast to what many people feel, I do think Vettel belongs to the top drivers out there, as long as the car is to his liking. We’ve seen this in Red Bull years. Yes, those cars were great, but also look how good he was at driving it. Other than that, he brings a lot of experience with him that we can always take advantage of.

So I have absolutely no negative feelings towards Vettel driving for McLaren. But it’s not necessary if Norris starts fighting Sainz in 2020. I do think that if this were to happen, you could say goodbye to the positive atmosphere between them that is used as an argument to retain both. There will be fireworks, and it will be interesting to see how Seidl manages that.

Lucky

McL-H wrote:
14 Dec 2019, 12:31
And in contrast to what many people feel, I do think Vettel belongs to the top drivers out there, as long as the car is to his liking. We’ve seen this in Red Bull years.

Vettel fakechampion

proteus

Lucky wrote:
14 Dec 2019, 13:47
McL-H wrote:
And in contrast to what many people feel, I do think Vettel belongs to the top drivers out there, as long as the car is to his liking. We’ve seen this in Red Bull years.
https://youtu.be/jYOM0v6ajRE
Vettel fakechampion
How little did he know, his career will also crash and burn in next few seasons.
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

diffuser

McL-H wrote:
I would say that Norris would need to improve quite a bit in 2020 and show he can fight Sainz in both qualifying as in the race. If not, I wouldn’t be surprised if McLaren would indeed sign Vettel for 2021.

I do think however, that the talent in Norris is definitely there. He has shown this on numerous occasions, especially in Spa. He has finished his rookie season (in which he hasn’t really made many mistakes), he has gotten used to the team, to the car and to the circuits F1 drives at across the season. All this will help him a lot in 2020. But there are no more excuses. If he cannot push Sainz in race pace, someone else needs to. And in contrast to what many people feel, I do think Vettel belongs to the top drivers out there, as long as the car is to his liking. We’ve seen this in Red Bull years. Yes, those cars were great, but also look how good he was at driving it. Other than that, he brings a lot of experience with him that we can always take advantage of.

So I have absolutely no negative feelings towards Vettel driving for McLaren. But it’s not necessary if Norris starts fighting Sainz in 2020. I do think that if this were to happen, you could say goodbye to the positive atmosphere between them that is used as an argument to retain both. There will be fireworks, and it will be interesting to see how Seidl manages that.
Think they would take Alonso back first.

Norris is still much a work in progress. Norris didn't match Sainz the whole 2nd part of the season in either the race or Quali. It took Sainz 1/2 the year to get used to the car. Then he dominated.

It will be something to watch next year.

NathanOlder

They both had to get used to the car, so you're saying Norris did it better than Sainz?

Also in qualifying, wasn't Norris better than Sainz this year?

Also I seem to remember Norris having more of the car mechanical problems than Sainz? And when Norris did have issues he was often in good points scoring positions. Lando also seemed to be used more in strategies ect.

To be clear, I'm not taking anything away from Sainz, he did an amazing job this year, definitely top 3 or 4 for driver of the year, and he performed better than Norris over the year as a whole, as expected. But for people to say Lando needs to up his game is a little bit of a wind up surely?
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Andres125sx

Agree, I think people is being a bit harsh on Lando, he´s been a rookie and didn´t make any big mistake

But I don´t think he suffered more mechanical issue than Sainz, Carlos also had a bunch of them in both starts of first and second half of the season, some of them when he was in a position to collect many points

I´ve not recorded how many for each driver, but my feeling is Sainz has not been more lucky at all, but I´ve focused more on him tough so maybe it´s just my subjective pov

Emag

proteus wrote:
14 Dec 2019, 23:48
Lucky wrote:
14 Dec 2019, 13:47
McL-H wrote:
https://youtu.be/jYOM0v6ajRE
Vettel fakechampion
How little did he know, his career will also crash and burn in next few seasons.
However, his reputation remained. Can't say the same for Vettel after the last couple of years.

McL-H

diffuser wrote:
15 Dec 2019, 06:48

Think they would take Alonso back first.

Norris is still much a work in progress. Norris didn't match Sainz the whole 2nd part of the season in either the race or Quali. It took Sainz 1/2 the year to get used to the car. Then he dominated.

It will be something to watch next year.
You could be right about them taking back Alonso first. If that's an option, they should take it. I'm just not entirely sure whether Fernando would like to return to McLaren. I think that if he returns, he would like to do so at Ferrari, Red Bull or Mercedes. McLaren would only be an option to him if they could close the gap in 2020.

I believe it would certainly be good for the sport if he were to return, but only if he could fight at the front this time out. If Mercedes or Red Bull cared about the sport in any way, they would have signed Alonso next to Hamilton or Verstappen a long time ago. It's ridiculous we have great drivers outside of F1, who are lacking a seat in F1 because Toto Wolf needs to keep his mediocre protege in the Mercedes.

I agree with others we should not judge Norris too quick and I am not. But this is McLaren. 2020 will be his second season. If next season he does not show he belongs to the top of F1, a top team should search for another top driver. Because the likes of Hamilton, Alonso, Vettel, Ricciardo, Verstappen didn't need more than 2 seasons to prove they belong to drive for the top teams. I believe that Norris can show this, but he has to do it now. This is it!