Zandvoort

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
zeph

Re: Zandvoort

Does anybody know what has been done in terms of infrastructure to accommodate all those people?

I haven’t been there in at least twenty years, but back then there was only a single track rail and two-lane road in and out of town. On a nice beach day traffic would slow down to a crawl, and at times you”d have to queue up for an hour just to get in the train.
No way that could handle the influx of 100,000 spectators.

Xray

zeph wrote:
22 Jan 2020, 19:07
Does anybody know what has been done in terms of infrastructure to accommodate all those people?

I haven’t been there in at least twenty years, but back then there was only a single track rail and two-lane road in and out of town. On a nice beach day traffic would slow down to a crawl, and at times you”d have to queue up for an hour just to get in the train.
No way that could handle the influx of 100,000 spectators.
It's still gonna be a challenge. They do have experience with the Jumbo Race days with about 50-60k spectators a day which they can build upon. Extra capacity on the railroads are being realized, 3x more trains per hour, including an expanded station. Public transport will be enhanced, special traffic plans are being planned. They are aware and are taking measures in conjunction with governmental bodies. Time will tell though..

Just_a_fan

Park and ride schemes can be useful in these situations as they allow you to get dozens of people at a time in a single vehicle. They are used to good effect for the British GP, for example, even though that had a major road and car parking reorganisation a few years ago.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Caddy58

Detailled map of the new Zandvoort circuit, it’s going to be great!!
There is also a well thought mobility plan, no cars to Zandvoort but huge parking lots far away from the circuit and then by bus or bike.
Also is the train capacity more than doubled.
Bad news is....all tickets are sold out.
But I have tickets!!,!

https://i.redd.it/ht6cpjy1p9641.jpg

TEHNOS

Wouter

They are really lucky that the temperatures are so high this winter, otherwise they would have run out of time.

The Power of Dreams!

Spacepace

The run offs scare me

Capharol

Spacepace wrote:
27 Jan 2020, 03:16
The run offs scare me
those run offs are good, no room to go otherwise back on the track and i assume the space between track and run off will be filled with gravel =D>

TEHNOS

How do you redesign a historic track?

Interview: Jarno Zaffelli, Circuit Zandvoort designer

https://www.tracksidelegends.com/articl ... t-designer

strad

The run offs scare me
Why,, Are you planning on racing there?
If the FIA and the drivers think it's ok then I'm willing to accept that the runoff areas are fine.
I can't remember now but perhaps it was Bernie that said: "If you're scared slow down."
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

TEHNOS

RZS10

wonder whether drivers who missed the corner will be allowed to slowly re-enter via that narrow strip of tarmac, should theoretically be slower than taking the corners normally and would be safer than turning around and rejoining head on

TEHNOS

RZS10 wrote:
30 Jan 2020, 02:05
wonder whether drivers who missed the corner will be allowed to slowly re-enter via that narrow strip of tarmac, should theoretically be slower than taking the corners normally and would be safer than turning around and rejoining head on
That is the only way they are allowed to rejoin.