[ 2020 ] Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Jambier

Re: [ 2020 ] Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

M840TR wrote:
24 Feb 2020, 19:09
bosyber wrote:
24 Feb 2020, 18:48
Brown did say at the launch that they wouldn't just switch early as they felt showing good progress, and getting/staying in touch with the top would be more important in their phase of renewing/building the team, didn't he?
It all depends on relative pace. If they can clear the midfield in Melbourne they'll shift all resources right away. Otherwise not. Objective is to secure 4th.
Which is compromised due to Racing Point, but anyway, they should not lose to much time on 2020, let's work on 2021

RonDennis
RonDennis

Let's write 2021 off as well and focus on 2022.

McL-H
McL-H

McG wrote:
24 Feb 2020, 19:28
McLaren traditionally develop pretty close to full capability even at the end of a rule set.
That was the McLaren of Ron Dennis.

Back then McLaren had championships at stake. Currently, not so much...

Jambier

RonDennis wrote:
24 Feb 2020, 19:57
2021 is most important for McLaren Mercedes.

This year well... Renault declared they only focused this winter on reliability.

And now Taffin declared that they will only make one evolution this year with a Spec 2, mainly for reliability as well.

The gap with the Mercedes engine who is a big step this year will increase compare to 2019

So, they shouldn’t waste too much on this year

604gtir
604gtir

Jambier wrote:
24 Feb 2020, 23:36
RonDennis wrote:
24 Feb 2020, 19:57
2021 is most important for McLaren Mercedes.

This year well... Renault declared they only focused this winter on reliability.

And now Taffin declared that they will only make one evolution this year with a Spec 2, mainly for reliability as well.

The gap with the Mercedes engine who is a big step this year will increase compare to 2019

So, they shouldn’t waste too much on this year
Reliability upgrades could mean they can run at higher power levels for longer or could not run b/c of unreliability.

diffuser

Jambier wrote:
24 Feb 2020, 19:29
M840TR wrote:
bosyber wrote:
24 Feb 2020, 18:48
Brown did say at the launch that they wouldn't just switch early as they felt showing good progress, and getting/staying in touch with the top would be more important in their phase of renewing/building the team, didn't he?
It all depends on relative pace. If they can clear the midfield in Melbourne they'll shift all resources right away. Otherwise not. Objective is to secure 4th.
Which is compromised due to Racing Point, but anyway, they should not lose to much time on 2020, let's work on 2021
I 2nd that!

Sanchit f1fan
Sanchit f1fan

diffuser wrote:
25 Feb 2020, 07:23
Jambier wrote:
24 Feb 2020, 19:29
M840TR wrote:

I 2nd that!
As I still believe the whole pink Mercedes thing is a hype and I think it will blow out in Melbourne it's not that easy to just copy something and make it work

diffuser

M840TR wrote:
24 Feb 2020, 19:08
diffuser wrote:
24 Feb 2020, 18:56
OK, I will clarify. I don't think they will develope the 2020 car's aero for very long.

That being said, I still find it interesting on how tall the floor enterance in the barge area is. Almost like they've used some of the development for 2021 onto 2020. It's more than doubled in hight from 2019.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ERIdc6yXsAE ... name=large
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ERIT1BeWoAAwmfb.jpg
It was noticeable at the launch as well and seems like a decent development. I'm not sure how it compares with other teams though (someone please do a side-by-side comparison photo) but I reckon the extra wheelbase has allowed them more freedom in the floor area to exploit for aero.
Not convinced that the wheelbase is longer, if so, marginally. In the side by side supplied by McLaren themselves the mcl34 and 35 looked like a draw. Though, clearly the side pods start further back. McLaren choose to use "modified wheelbase" instead of longer base to keep us talking :) .

JRindt

“Only McLaren and the Renault factory team are still difficult to classify. In terms of chassis, McLaren is among the top four. But Carlos Sainz and Lando Norris have a problem in the back. ABMS learned: In contrast to Mercedes, Honda and Ferrari, Renault has NOT further developed its engine since 2019. An insider: “Then you lose two to three tenths at once - solely due to the drive””

https://f1-insider.com/f1/f1-tests-wo-s ... -wirklich/

Does the McLaren insider think they are among the top 4 or is it speculation by the journo?

I personally think they are close to top 3 and tracing point is not a big issue. Or may be it’s just wishful thinking on my part.

NiyolHuayra
NiyolHuayra

JRindt wrote:
25 Feb 2020, 09:03
“Only McLaren and the Renault factory team are still difficult to classify. In terms of chassis, McLaren is among the top four. But Carlos Sainz and Lando Norris have a problem in the back. ABMS learned: In contrast to Mercedes, Honda and Ferrari, Renault has NOT further developed its engine since 2019. An insider: “Then you lose two to three tenths at once - solely due to the drive””

Does the McLaren insider think they are among the top 4 or is it speculation by the journo?

I personally think they are close to top 3 and tracing point is not a big issue. Or may be it’s just wishful thinking on my part.
I agree, RP car may look like merc from last year but I bet that they do not understand it like merc did, so they will have issues.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

NiyolHuayra wrote:
25 Feb 2020, 09:33
JRindt wrote:

I agree, RP car may look like merc from last year but I bet that they do not understand it like merc did, so they will have issues.
Marcin Budkowski of Renault stated that they and McLaren are at the same level, with RP a little ahead at the moment. We can’t know if he’s bluffing, but apparently, that’s the word on the street.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

cyclon

JRindt wrote:

This year is mainly focused on aero. It's not a write off but prepare aero efficiency for next year in areas that will remain unchanged by the new rules. Correlation is the target since team was far away from it the recent years!
I loved the iconic McLaren-Honda
But most of all i love McLaren . After all first contact made with M23 that had a Ford Cosworth PU

NiyolHuayra
NiyolHuayra

Ground Effect wrote:
25 Feb 2020, 09:59
NiyolHuayra wrote:
25 Feb 2020, 09:33
JRindt wrote:

Marcin Budkowski of Renault stated that they and McLaren are at the same level, with RP a little ahead at the moment. We can’t know if he’s bluffing, but apparently, that’s the word on the street.
Renault can talk all they can, they need too prove that they are fast first and foremost, only then I will listen to them. We all knew that the gaps will be smaller this year, and if we are lucky we may get a podium too, if Ferrari breaks down :D

CjC
CjC

JRindt wrote:

I think what he means to say is:
Mclaren have the 4th best chassis/aero but it’s combined with the 4th best PU so reading between the lines it may mean that we are the 5th or even 6th fastest team.

I agree with the concerns over the Renault PU, only making reliability gains is good but you get the feeling from Mercedes that they have bossed the winter, so the threat from the Mercedes B team specifically will be huge- along with the Red Bull B team IMO
Just a fan's point of view

Jambier

I agree.
This year the Renault engine will be weaker than 2019, compare to the Mercedes and the Honda at least.

It will obviously be an issue for McLaren and Renault team. So in order to beat Racing Point, chassis must be much better.

I think McLaren developpement rate will be much faster than RP though