FIA-Ferrari PU Statement Controversy

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
saviour stivala
saviour stivala

Re: FIA-Ferrari PU Statement Controversy

Not being an English speaking native it was the more amusing seeing some FERRARI LOVERS! Getting their nickers in a twist by the differences between ‘FERRARI having been ‘sanctioned’ because no evidence could be found of them having broken the flow rules and the whole thing being turned into FERRARI was given ‘sanctions’ because of fuel flow rules abuse.

turbof1

saviour stivala wrote:
10 Apr 2020, 12:32
The FIA did not ‘settled’ and ‘forced’ itself into a situation where it needs FERRARI to agree to release information of said settlement. Article 4.6 of the FIA judicial and disciplinary rules states ‘the prosecuting body and all persons taking part in the inquiry are bound by obligation of confidentiality vis-à-vis persons or organisations not concerned with the inquiry’. For persons and/or organisations to be qualified as being ‘concerned with the inquiry’ said persons and/or organisations needed to be part of an official protest, something that was never presented.
FERRARI exercised their right as per article 4.6 and not because of any settlement entered into between themselves and the FIA.
They explicitly called it a settlement. They used that regulation to settle, not the other way around you are claiming.

I'll go one further actually: there's little else reason why they released this to the press, then a very large part of the FIA being discontent with the settlement. By all accounts, them keeping their mouth shut about the whole affair would have been better. Now they did loose face, to the point the WMSC had to step in because the FIA really looked to be walked over by the other teams.
#AeroFrodo

saviour stivala
saviour stivala

The other teams are powerless in all this and they will get nowhere because they lacked the balls to do things the right way by actually officially log a protest because they had no solid technical prof in their hands of any wrong doing.

dans79

This entire fiasco underlines the impotence of the FIA, when it comes to policing the sport as a whole, and specially teams at the sharper end of the grid.
197 104 103 7

turbof1

saviour stivala wrote:
10 Apr 2020, 18:14
The other teams are powerless in all this and they will get nowhere because they lacked the balls to do things the right way by actually officially log a protest because they had no solid technical prof in their hands of any wrong doing.
I agree in part here. The teams do lack courage to push it further. However, they are not powerless. Nothing keeps them into the sport; if even 5 teams walk away, it is the end of the sport. And they absolutely can since they aren't bound to the sport going from next year unless they sign the long term contracts of Liberty Media. It is this same pressing tool that they used in 2009 to bring the FIA to its knees.

And that is what bothers me the most. The FIA can -will not necessarily happen, but there is that possibility- end up in a situation where they will have to choose between breaching NDAs, or say farewell to half the field and by default the sport. Things are already dire enough as it is with the corona crisis. They should have never settled. If they weren't sure, they should have declared whatever Ferrari was using legal and try to find a way to take the doubt away in the future through new regulation.
#AeroFrodo

TAG

saviour stivala wrote:
10 Apr 2020, 18:14
Maybe the other teams put more effort into winning championships than into novel ways to game the system?
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

strad

It is not fitting for an authoritive body to be dependent on its subjects for agreement. It means the authority of said body is compromised.
This whole affair undermined the FIA much, much more than it did Ferrari.
And they are smart enough to know they were shooting themselves in the foot so you have to ask why that didn't concern them. :wink:
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Big Tea

saviour stivala wrote:
10 Apr 2020, 17:05
Not being an English speaking native it was the more amusing seeing some FERRARI LOVERS! Getting their nickers in a twist by the differences between ‘FERRARI having been ‘sanctioned’ because no evidence could be found of them having broken the flow rules and the whole thing being turned into FERRARI was given ‘sanctions’ because of fuel flow rules abuse.
Just for your info. as your English is probably better than mine in many ways, its Knickers for in a twist nicker for money
(no offence intended, just though you may like to know)
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

bill shoe
bill shoe

I will lower myself to say what needs to be said-

If Max Mosley were in charge of the FIA, then the lame confidential "settlement" would never have happened. He would have been decisive and very public. He would probably turn it to his political advantage ("see how I don't favor Ferrari!"), but he would get it done.

I will now wash myself clean from having said something positive about Mr. Mosley.

strad

and well you should Bill. What next a compliment about Bernie? :lol:
Last edited by strad on 12 Apr 2020, 00:40, edited 1 time in total.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Jolle
Jolle

This reminds me a bit of the traction control Benneton had in ‘94. Same kinds of stakes, then it was the prospect of loosing the new star Schumacher after Senna’s death. If the FIA succeeded and Benneton was disqualified, it well could have been the end of F1 in its then current form. Letting it pass gave us a new star and enough attention that Philip Morris decided to invest more, bringing Ferrari back to the front, for Daimler to go all in and not much later other manufacturers with big money followed.

Now, especially with the shutdown (that nobody foresaw at the time of course), loosing Ferrari for a season would be a giant risk. Philip Morris would probably pull out, sending Ferrari back to the midfield (the Berger/Alesi years), big event partners that now can associate themselves with Ferrari’s halo could terminate their contracts, would Honda stay if they can’t beat Ferrari? Etc etc.

I think Ferrari got caught with their pants down, even worse then Benneton 25 years ago. But due to the importance of Ferrari to the sport and financial structure, disqualification would be suicide.
The agreement we have now is a public coverup. You don’t cover up small things or a difference in explaining the rules.

toraabe
toraabe

https://www.gpblog.com/en/news/57996/bi ... o-me-.html

Win by cheating. I have to say I just getting a really bad taste of this win. They were cheating and they knew it. Otherwise Hamilton would have won.

izzy
izzy

bill shoe wrote:
11 Apr 2020, 21:48
I will lower myself to say what needs to be said-

If Max Mosley were in charge of the FIA, then the lame confidential "settlement" would never have happened. He would have been decisive and very public. He would probably turn it to his political advantage ("see how I don't favor Ferrari!"), but he would get it done.

I will now wash myself clean from having said something positive about Mr. Mosley.
the whole spygate saga started with Nigel Stepney trying to blow the whistle about Ferrari's bendy floor and secret pre-buckled stay and Max carefully doing nothing and saying nothing, that's why Nigel went to Mike Coughlan to get McLaren to formally ask. So i think you're being a bit generous! Max'd have done even less than Jean and we wouldn't even have known

as it is i simply don't believe FIA couldn't find out what they were doing. If the intercooler was porous for oil that's an easy thing to test, and if the fuel pump was synchronised with the meter and out of phase or however that must be pretty easy to see as well, on a workbench with oscilloscopes and everything, i mean two frequencies how hard can it be? But as @Jolle says Ferrari are too big to nail so Jean did the best he could

nzjrs

izzy wrote:
12 Apr 2020, 10:47
and if the fuel pump was synchronised with the meter and out of phase or however that must be pretty easy to see as well, on a workbench with oscilloscopes and everything
My hypothesis from day one was that it was a dynamic exploit observed in static conditions. Do we even know if the investigation included running the ferarri engine on a FIA test bench?

All ferarri needs for plausible deniability is to have kept the FIA from being able to test it in the conditions that it was active.

"turn it on" "no" "if you have nothing to hide you must turn it on" "that's not what the rules say we have to do" "that looks like an ability to modulate the fuel pump in phase with the FFS" "prove it" "turn it on" "we don't have to"........ Settlement

hollus

toraabe wrote:
12 Apr 2020, 09:58
https://www.gpblog.com/en/news/57996/bi ... o-me-.html

Win by cheating. I have to say I just getting a really bad taste of this win. They were cheating and they knew it. Otherwise Hamilton would have won.
It is not clear at all what you are complaining about.
Are you even talking about the PU here? Because you are singling out Monza. If it is not about the PU, the rant is in the wrong thread.
Rivals, not enemies.