[ 2020 ] Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
frosty125

Re: [ 2020 ] Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

Emag wrote:
01 Jun 2020, 21:59
_cerber1 wrote:
01 Jun 2020, 13:34
Does anyone know if MTC and the factory are already working or not?
I think Lando and Carlos have posted stories on Instagram about going to London to visit the factory. I am not sure if it is operating on full capacity, but there should be some activity there at this moment.
All the F1 factories were shut down until the end of May, I think they will have started back up this week. The British based teams have had a financial advantage as the government has been covering wages for furloughed workers.

mwillems

frosty125 wrote:
03 Jun 2020, 10:16
Emag wrote:
01 Jun 2020, 21:59
_cerber1 wrote:
01 Jun 2020, 13:34
Does anyone know if MTC and the factory are already working or not?
I think Lando and Carlos have posted stories on Instagram about going to London to visit the factory. I am not sure if it is operating on full capacity, but there should be some activity there at this moment.
All the F1 factories were shut down until the end of May, I think they will have started back up this week. The British based teams have had a financial advantage as the government has been covering wages for furloughed workers.
Most teams are in the UK and Ferrari will be funded very well no matter what, so I don't think there will be an advantage or disadvantage in this situation, although I'm not sure how much of Haas' operations are based in the UK or what will happen with AlphaTauri.

Mclaren have laid of 70 staff in the F1 team but with the impending budget cap, staff would have gone anyway and yet more will go.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Morteza

From racefans.net
Mercedes to share reserve drivers with McLaren
Mercedes will make one of its reserve drivers available to McLaren if the team needs a substitute driver this year, RaceFans has learned.
Former McLaren driver Stoffel Vandoorne could therefore end up back at the wheel of one of the team’s cars if either Carlos Sainz Jnr or Lando Norris have to miss a race this year. Vandoorne made 41 race starts for McLaren between 2016 and 2018.
However Vandoorne also races for Mercedes in Formula E, which could limit his availability. Mercedes’ other reserve driver is Esteban Gutierrez, who previously raced in F1 for Haas and Sauber.

After confirming details of the first eight races on Formula 1’s heavily disrupted 2020 calendar, the sport’s chairman and CEO Chase Carey said on Tuesday grands prix will go ahead even if a driver is unable to participate due to a positive Covid-19 test. “If a driver has an infection, [teams have] reserve drivers available,” he said.

McLaren had a similar reserve driver arrangement with engine supplier Renault last year. Other teams also have arrangements to share reserve drivers: Alfa Romeo racer Antonio Giovinazzi is listed as one of Ferrari’s reserves, and Sebastien Buemi fulfils the reserve role at both Red Bull and its junior team AlphaTauri.
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

adrianjordan

Does question why McLaren don't have their own reserve/development driver though?

I wonder if Seb would be interested?? Lol
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Jolle

adrianjordan wrote:
04 Jun 2020, 12:40
Does question why McLaren don't have their own reserve/development driver though?

They have Oliver Turvey, but I don’t think he has his superlicence points. His last big win was 6 years ago.

PowerandtheGlory

There are other advantages to sharing a driver between teams when testing new tyres or compounds it is better for Mercedes to learn the beahviour in one car vs another and have the driver as a same variable.. plus for the team its a great way of seeing how much one car is ahead of another when given to the same driver. Considering the rules changes coming in - i think its a smart move from Mclaren and Merc to keep a close eye on things. especially as Aston Martin will want a close relationship - but im sure Merc would be happy if Mclaren were racing Aston and keeping them busy while Mercedes themselves drive off into the distance...
“I don't believe in luck, luck is preparation and taking your opportunity” Ross Brawn

Mansell89

Re: McLaren MCL35

M840TR wrote:
31 May 2020, 14:48
[quote=ScottR267 post_id=901971 time=<a href="tel:1590872153">1590872153</a> user_id=39860]
[quote=F1NAC post_id=901965 time=<a href="tel:1590864422">1590864422</a> user_id=17682]
[quote="Vital Spark" post_id=901939 time=<a href="tel:1590834129">1590834129</a> user_id=40435]
Does anyone know who supplies McLaren with fuel and lubricants since their split with Petrobras?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Castrol as Renault
[/quote]

I’d imagine this will change again next year to Petronas with the switch to Mercedes engines?
[/quote]

Correct.
[/quote]

Hope I’m not off topic here but when they used Mercedes last in 2014, did using Mobil (as per sponsorship) mean McLaren may not have had optimal engine performance given the works team had developed the PU with Petronas, and we know the fuels have been really important in finding performance since the hybrid era was introduced?

I’d hope they use exactly the same as the works team so there is no wriggle room to have anything other than excellent performance.

mwillems

adrianjordan wrote:

Oliver Turvey is our Development driver, and we have Serge Sette Camara in the young drivers programme. Neither would be great, to be honest, at least in my opinion. But to be fair I'm sure if we asked Jenson to come back for a few races, he'd be OK with it.

Edit: Looks like Sette Camara is no longer with Mclaren as he tests for Red Bull? I didn't realise that.
And a fair point about the superlicense, Turvey couldn't get one, but Sette Camara could.

diffuser

Typically a reserve driver got test time in the past. There isn't gonna be any time for that this year....and maybe not next so that might have to do with the change ?

Lucky

mwillems wrote:
04 Jun 2020, 23:39
adrianjordan wrote:

Oliver Turvey is our Development driver, and we have Serge Sette Camara in the young drivers programme. Neither would be great, to be honest, at least in my opinion. But to be fair I'm sure if we asked Jenson to come back for a few races, he'd be OK with it.

Edit: Looks like Sette Camara is no longer with Mclaren as he tests for Red Bull? I didn't realise that.
And a fair point about the superlicense, Turvey couldn't get one, but Sette Camara could.
Camara was in McLaren because of Petrobras

Lucky

Ground Effect wrote:
29 May 2020, 17:47
I wonder if Zak will talk to Rokit
Rokit is Mickey Mouse business

Ground Effect

Re: McLaren MCL35

Mansell89 wrote:
04 Jun 2020, 22:14
M840TR wrote:
31 May 2020, 14:48
[quote=ScottR267 post_id=901971 time=<a href="tel:1590872153">1590872153</a> user_id=39860]
[quote=F1NAC post_id=901965 time=<a href="tel:1590864422">1590864422</a> user_id=17682]
[quote="Vital Spark" post_id=901939 time=<a href="tel:1590834129">1590834129</a> user_id=40435]
Does anyone know who supplies McLaren with fuel and lubricants since their split with Petrobras?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Castrol as Renault
I’d imagine this will change again next year to Petronas with the switch to Mercedes engines?
[/quote]

Correct.
[/quote]

Hope I’m not off topic here but when they used Mercedes last in 2014, did using Mobil (as per sponsorship) mean McLaren may not have had optimal engine performance given the works team had developed the PU with Petronas, and we know the fuels have been really important in finding performance since the hybrid era was introduced?

I’d hope they use exactly the same as the works team so there is no wriggle room to have anything other than excellent performance.
[/quote]

There were reports that there was a significant deficit in HP due to McLaren using Mobil fuel and lubricants with the Mercedes engine in 2014.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

Big Tea

Lucky wrote:
05 Jun 2020, 08:24
Ground Effect wrote:
29 May 2020, 17:47
I wonder if Zak will talk to Rokit
Rokit is Mickey Mouse business
Another 'Mickey Mouse' business gave 4billion for F1, so may be something in it :mrgreen:
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

mwillems

Lucky wrote:
05 Jun 2020, 08:09
mwillems wrote:
04 Jun 2020, 23:39
adrianjordan wrote:

Camara was in McLaren because of Petrobras
He's still in our young drivers program according to the Mclaren page, so it could be an oversight or a strange agreement with Red Bull.

https://www.mclaren.com/racing/team/you ... programme/

Jackles-UK

Nyck De Vries was part of the McLaren young driver program as well and he races for Mercedes in Formula E alongside Stoffel. Both have experience with the team and enough points on their super licence so they’re both good options to have (I’m personally surprised that an F1 team didn’t come in for De Vries after completely dominating F2 last year). I wouldn’t rule out a temporary return for Alonso as a super-sub either though, just like Button did in Monaco in 2017 (?) - he still has close ties with the team through his IndyCar deal and again is a known entity.