2020 Austrian Grand Prix - Spielberg, 3-5 July

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
PlatinumZealot

Re: 2020 Austrian Grand Prix - Spielberg, 3-5 July

Albon had pitted twice already? Sure? How was he so close then if he had pitted twice?
πŸ–οΈβœŒοΈβ˜οΈπŸ‘€πŸ‘ŒβœοΈπŸŽπŸ†πŸ™

mkay

PlatinumZealot wrote: ↑
07 Jul 2020, 14:50
Albon had pitted twice already? Sure? How was he so close then if he had pitted twice?
ALB/NOR/LEC were catching up to BOT/HAM due to the latter being stuck being the SC for 3/4 of a lap.

All I am saying is that even if they missed the chance to pit on L51 (like ALB/NOR/LEC), they could have done so a lap later - they would have lost minimal track position. I think they should have fancied their chances against ALB on fresh rubber.

Phil

matt_b wrote: ↑
07 Jul 2020, 14:16
NathanOlder wrote: ↑
07 Jul 2020, 14:10
matt_b wrote: ↑
07 Jul 2020, 13:44

Ultimately they were caught napping not pitting when everyone else did which seems to be a common pattern with their strategy team.
That'll be because Bottas was already in turn 9 when the safety car was put out, the pitlane also starts before turn 9. So no napping at all.
Couldn't they box the next lap or were the cars behind that pitted already too close?
Such situations are always bad for the leading team. Others behind can always gamble and take risks. For Mercedes, and assuming they could have pitted, then RedBull would have stayed out and gained track position and force them pass on the track. Perhaps it would have worked, but with the issues they were nursing/concerned about, perhaps a too difficult task, so keeping track position would have been key or at the very least the preferred option.

In a way, it’s ironic. If Hamilton and Albon had not colided, we may very well have seen a RedBull win the race and Hamilton being β€œonly” 3 points behind Bottas in the WDC rather than 13...
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. β€” bhall II
#Team44 supporter

Sieper

That is true. And Bottas and Albon might have collided Upon albons attempt on him (after Lewis) putting hamilton 25 points up on both Bottas as well as Verstappen. Maybe a good thinking point for Hamilton.

LM10

PlatinumZealot

Albon did the same to Perez. Worst of all Perez was ahead. So presumptuous that rookie Albon!
πŸ–οΈβœŒοΈβ˜οΈπŸ‘€πŸ‘ŒβœοΈπŸŽπŸ†πŸ™

foxmulder_ms

Jolle wrote: ↑
07 Jul 2020, 09:47
07 Jul 2020, 01:52
The elephant in the room for me.. Is the whole Mercedes equality thing. I think its overdone. It has come to my attention that Lewis had requested... Or suggested a different tyre strategy to what the team ultimately chose, but he was told no, shut up and drive the strategy we give you. Imagine that! If Mercedes stretegist was really paying attention he would have seen it obbious that many more reliabilty incidients were to come and thus the increased chances of saftey cars.. And as such should have ran the more aggressive strategy..

It really irks me because it isn't allowing the drivers to use their experience and instincts to differentiate themselves.
If I would have 30+ people behind screens with real time data and projections on all the drivers and strategies, the driver, even a six time world champion, can suggest what he want but stil gets the best set determined by science.
yeah... that is why teams always have the perfect strategy :| /not

basti313

mkay wrote: ↑
07 Jul 2020, 15:15
07 Jul 2020, 14:50
ALB/NOR/LEC were catching up to BOT/HAM due to the latter being stuck being the SC for 3/4 of a lap.

All I am saying is that even if they missed the chance to pit on L51 (like ALB/NOR/LEC), they could have done so a lap later - they would have lost minimal track position. I think they should have fancied their chances against ALB on fresh rubber.
Only with going flat out, which Merc did not want to do from lap 2...
Plus a car which showed up to be problematic in traffic over the last seasons...

No idea where you can come to the conclusion that it would have been a discussable solution for Merc to pit the cars behind three other cars.
Don`t russel the hamster!

ab_f1

Couple of thoughts:

a) Given this issue is re-occurring and creates controversy everytime, wouldn't it be better to who have a detetction line at corners to evaluate who was ahead. At the moment stewards reference points seems to be the point of contact. This does not seems to be fair in terms of limited vision, racing trajectory, and various other racing parameters.

b) What is the story with penalty points. Are those given by default as well. Even if 5s penalty is acceptable to some. It seems just acceptable. Penalty points on top of it does not make any sense.

Racer X

I absolutely hate that so many ended with a DNF but it was extremely entertaining.
RedBull Racing Checo//PEREZ

MtthsMlw

Most since Australia 2008

Oleo

foxmulder_ms wrote: ↑
07 Jul 2020, 01:15
dans79 wrote: ↑
06 Jul 2020, 22:53
In my opinion, this is a bone-headed move by Albon at worst, and a racing incident at best.
  • They are almost at the Apex of the turn before Albon has drawn level with Lewis.
  • At the point of contact Albon's car is fully inside the white line. Not to mention the racing line on that corner's exit is almost the entire car over the white line.
  • From the apex to the point of impact Lewis has full lock on, hence the reason you see him throw up his left hand in frustration afterwards.
Albon should go back and watch the replay of lap one, and maybe he will learn something. Lewis made an almost carbon copy move on him in the exact same corner. The difference being that Lewis had the experience to realize that Albon was only ever going to run into the side of him, because of albon's cars momentum. hence why Lewis backed out of it when they reached the apex.
100% truth.
Thats not 100% truth, its very inaccurate. Allow me to educate.
- Albon is level halfway turn in and apex, thats not almost at the apex.
- Albon is fully inside the white line because it is not a straight coming up, this corner keeps turning to the right, if he is any further to the left he will end up in the gravel. Cars hit the kerbs further down that corner.
- Lewis is indeed full lock, however he knows he is on old hard tyres vs pretty fresh softs and Albon is all over him. With his experience he shouldnt be in a situation where he is beaten but apparently unable to avoid an accident.
- Lap 1 is incomparable, both are on similar tyres, no advantage and more importantly Lewis is slightly ahead at the braking zone but never in the corner, so Albon can do whatever the f he wants and Lewis has to back out. Its all in the details why you cant compare every somewhat similar situation to each other.

Wynters

Oleo wrote: ↑
07 Jul 2020, 22:42
dans79 wrote: ↑
06 Jul 2020, 22:53
[*] From the apex to the point of impact Lewis has full lock on, hence the reason you see him throw up his left hand in frustration afterwards.
- Lewis is indeed full lock...
Hamilton is never at even close to full lock. Compare his angle with Norris' when he's punting Perez.

ALO_Power

A bit of a stupid question, why is everyone calling this weekend's Austrian gp as Styrian gp since it will be held in the same place.

Big Tea

ALO_Power wrote: ↑
07 Jul 2020, 23:22
A bit of a stupid question, why is everyone calling this weekend's Austrian gp as Styrian gp since it will be held in the same place.
So that when you look at the report you know which is which.

There will be the British GP at Silverstone, then the following week the Celebration 70th GP erm, also at Silverstone :D
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.