[ 2020 ] Renault F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
User avatar
diffuser
180
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:55 pm
Location: Montreal

Re: [ 2020 ] Renault F1 Team - Renault

Post

As much as the midfield has gotten more interesting with the solid addition of Ferrari and the midfield seaming closing in on RBR. The Sharp end of the spear looks very boring. Wish they would spend more camera time on the midfield. The coverage hasn't been that bad but it could be alot better.

Wynters
Wynters
49
Joined: Sun May 15, 2016 1:49 pm

Re: [ 2020 ] Renault F1 Team - Renault

Post

djos wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:19 pm
Wynters wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:21 pm
Hmm, not much to say about Renault's race in Hungary.
- Ocon was great in the first few laps in those tricky conditions but it was pretty much undone when Renault double-stacked and cost him 3 seconds.
He claims he was double stacked but the footage clearly shows Daniel was gone well before he got there.
Interesting. I can't the footage to comment (I'm guessing it's on the App, which I don't have), which is a shame as it might show some useful further details. I wonder if he was told to create a gap?

The timing gap to Ricciardo just before Ricciardo entered the pitlane was 4.599 seconds. When Ocon exited the pitlane it was 7.370 seconds and the FIA pit stop timing shows him as taking two-and-a-half seconds longer than usual through the pit entry/exit timing points. Also, looking at the gap to Hamilton in the seconds before Ocon dived into the pit, Hamilton pulled out a bunch of time on him in that final mini-sector.

User avatar
JordanMugen
49
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:36 pm

Re: [ 2020 ] Renault F1 Team - Renault

Post

Mansell89 wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:19 pm
Renault have been very clever in their approach here because they’ve been specific rather than allow a bit of theological debate to happen.
Why didn't Renault take the same approach by purchasing gearbox and suspension from McLaren (I had previously suggested the opposite, but McLaren had no interest in buying from Renault, so seems like it would have to be Renault buying from McLaren just like Force India used to) and sharing a wind tunnel -- it would be an important efficiency gain which would have improved economies of scale at both teams!!

Worse Renault let McLaren defect to Mercedes-Benz, instead of offering say Lada or Dacia sponsorship to keep McLaren in the fold! #-o A McLaren-Dacia racing car would do wonders to enhance the already considerable prestige of the Dacia brand. =D> =D> :D

Almost if the marraige between McLaren and Renault was only one of convenience, rather than one based on mutual admiration of technical excellence. :wtf:

User avatar
diffuser
180
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:55 pm
Location: Montreal

Re: [ 2020 ] Renault F1 Team - Renault

Post

JordanMugen wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:24 pm
Mansell89 wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:19 pm
Renault have been very clever in their approach here because they’ve been specific rather than allow a bit of theological debate to happen.
Why didn't Renault take the same approach by purchasing gearbox and suspension from McLaren (I had previously suggested the opposite, but McLaren had no interest in buying from Renault, so seems like it would have to be Renault buying from McLaren just like Force India used to) and sharing a wind tunnel -- it would be an important efficiency gain which would have improved economies of scale at both teams!!

Worse Renault let McLaren defect to Mercedes-Benz, instead of offering say Lada or Dacia sponsorship to keep McLaren in the fold! #-o A McLaren-Dacia racing car would do wonders to enhance the already considerable prestige of the Dacia brand. =D> =D> :D

Almost if the marraige between McLaren and Renault was only one of convenience, rather than one based on mutual admiration of technical excellence. :wtf:


Renault had wanted almost a partnership with McLaren and they wanted to share parts. It would not have been a one way partnership, they would buy from each other.

Not sure why McLaren left but one of the reasons was Renault was charging more for the PU than Merc. They didn't want to budge on that.

Mansell89
Mansell89
25
Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:21 pm

Re: [ 2020 ] Renault F1 Team - Renault

Post

Seidl seems a shrewd man and he seemed to be super keen on the Merc deal.

Given that we now know Ferrari were going to lose a lot of power after the FIA technical directive, and that Merc incremental gains in pushing the PU development was to make them the standout best engine again, it seems like Seidl has made a solid choice.

That being said, Renault have been an excellent partner to McLaren and the PU is a much better one than 3-4 years ago.

I’d be amazed if they don’t end up having a customer like Williams or something down the line.

Renault are fascinating in the next couple of years of being “lone power rangers” because IF they can get to right, they will be the exclusive gainers in performance.

Getting both Renault and McLaren to join the podium fight would be tremendous for the sport and the spectacle, so I wish them both luck and don’t begrudge either approach. I think they’ll continue to be close rivals.

selvam_e2002
selvam_e2002
-2
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:52 am

Re: [ 2020 ] Renault F1 Team - Renault

Post

I think RB will come back to Renault Engine in 2023 if Honda fail to deliver in 2022.

It seems midfield team are closing the gap to RB, if RB losses 2nd place more often to RP and Mclaren in next year then they will screw the Honda very badly compared to Mclaren did couple of years back.

selvam_e2002
selvam_e2002
-2
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:52 am

Re: [ 2020 ] Renault F1 Team - Renault

Post

I also think Pat Fry can improve Renaul in 2021. Let see how it goes with Alonso in 2021.

User avatar
JordanMugen
49
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:36 pm

Re: [ 2020 ] Renault F1 Team - Renault

Post

JordanMugen wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:18 pm
It's hard to get excited about this RS20, it seems to be the fifth or sixth fastest car at best despite all the improvements over the RS19. :wink:
Blackout wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:35 pm
In Hungary, it was p6 as expected in Qualy, but it was better than that in the race. (they beat MCL quite easily)
Regarding Silverstone, we'll see tomorrow in qualy : )
As predicted, Renault only the 6th fastest car in qualifying, behind Mercedes, Red Bull, Ferrari, Racing Point and McLaren. :shock:

A far cry from the plan to score podiums with an improving car which Mr. Ricciardo signed up for.

Even with the flaws of the RS19 fixed, the RS20 is just not exceptional in any area. It's most disappointing! :|

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier
154
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:54 am

Re: [ 2020 ] Renault F1 Team - Renault

Post

JordanMugen wrote:
JordanMugen wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:18 pm
It's hard to get excited about this RS20, it seems to be the fifth or sixth fastest car at best despite all the improvements over the RS19. :wink:
Blackout wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:35 pm
In Hungary, it was p6 as expected in Qualy, but it was better than that in the race. (they beat MCL quite easily)
Regarding Silverstone, we'll see tomorrow in qualy : )
As predicted, Renault only the 6th fastest car in qualifying, behind Mercedes, Red Bull, Ferrari, Racing Point and McLaren. :shock:

A far cry from the plan to score podiums with an improving car which Mr. Ricciardo signed up for.

Even with the flaws of the RS19 fixed, the RS20 is just not exceptional in any area. It's most disappointing! :|
Actually, the RS20 is an step forward compared to the RS19 and in terms of the performance they have cut the gap to the likes of Red Bull and Ferrari... Obviously not enough to be fighting against Red Bull in equal terms, but the gap was too big to be covered in just one winter... In regards to been behind Racing Point, well, we all know that car has the potential of the W10, the fact that they are closer to the RP W10 than they were to the Merc W10 also shows that they are making progress year on year... Racing Point’s performance wasn’t on anyone’s calculations before testing this year.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User avatar
Blackout
760
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:12 am

Re: [ 2020 ] Renault F1 Team - Renault

Post

JordanMugen wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:18 pm
As predicted, Renault only the 6th fastest car in qualifying, behind Mercedes, Red Bull, Ferrari, Racing Point and McLaren. :shock:
A far cry from the plan to score podiums with an improving car which Mr. Ricciardo signed up for.
Even with the flaws of the RS19 fixed, the RS20 is just not exceptional in any area. It's most disappointing! :|
Not really.
In Hungary, it was p6 as expected in Qualy, but it was better than that in the race. (they beat MCL quite easily)
In Austria1, it couldnt show it's true pace in Q3 (due to the yellow flag)*
*But it's one of the cars that improved the most in one lap pace compared to 2019. In Austria it made the second best improvement after RP, and in Hungary it improved slightly more than MCL.
And Austria and Hungary were some of the worst tracks for the RS.19. But no Enstone-made car was as 'fast' as the RS.20 in Spielberg in the race since... since spielberg is back in the calendar.
So the new aero is working and this car is definitely (much) better.

Sadly it only improved by 2 tenths today (compared to 2019) while Mcl found 4 tenths.
The Ferrari is the surprise.

MCL improving more than Renault? not a surprise. That's what I predicted because MCL built a fully new car, trying to gain in every area, unlike Renault who carried over many old parts and concepts and made compromises.
So you shouldn't expect miracles, the car is based on the 2018-2019 chassis because the team is focussing on 2022.
viewtopic.php?p=910750#p910750

Podiums? I dont think they promised podiums to the drivers. Only the drivers dreamed about podiums and they'll need luck for that.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier
154
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:54 am

Re: [ 2020 ] Renault F1 Team - Renault

Post

Blackout wrote:
JordanMugen wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:18 pm
As predicted, Renault only the 6th fastest car in qualifying, behind Mercedes, Red Bull, Ferrari, Racing Point and McLaren. :shock:
A far cry from the plan to score podiums with an improving car which Mr. Ricciardo signed up for.
Even with the flaws of the RS19 fixed, the RS20 is just not exceptional in any area. It's most disappointing! :|
Not really.
In Hungary, it was p6 as expected in Qualy, but it was better than that in the race. (they beat MCL quite easily)
In Austria1, it couldnt show it's true pace in Q3 (due to the yellow flag)*
*But it's one of the cars that improved the most in one lap pace compared to 2019. In Austria it made the second best improvement after RP, and in Hungary it improved slightly more than MCL.
And Austria and Hungary were some of the worst tracks for the RS.19. But no Enstone-made car was as 'fast' as the RS.20 in Spielberg in the race since... since spielberg is back in the calendar.
So the new aero is working and this car is definitely (much) better.

Sadly it only improved by 2 tenths today (compared to 2019) while Mcl found 4 tenths.
The Ferrari is the surprise.

MCL improving more than Renault? not a surprise. That's what I predicted because MCL built a fully new car, trying to gain in every area, unlike Renault who carried over many old parts and concepts and made compromises.
So you shouldn't expect miracles, the car is based on the 2018-2019 chassis because the team is focussing on 2022.
viewtopic.php?p=910750#p910750

Podiums? I dont think they promised podiums to the drivers. Only the drivers dreamed about podiums and they'll need luck for that.
Beat Mclaren “quiet easily”... Not really, they beat Mclaren because of Mclaren own issues/mistakes, not based on pace... Sainz pitstop delay due to traffic and Norris’ subpar start of the race compromised the whole race.

The fact that the delta between cars has to be considerable to make an overtake in Hungary meant that it was easier for Renault to maintain their positions... And even then, Norris managed to overtake Ocon on track.

Renault outscored Mclaren at Hungary, but didn’t outperformed them by a considerable margin and definitely didn’t beat Mclaren “easily”


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User avatar
Blackout
760
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:12 am

Re: [ 2020 ] Renault F1 Team - Renault

Post

Maybe. But Renault also had a very shitty strategy + bad luck in that race. And Ocon did not really represent the car's true pace there.
RIC was controlling his pace and he outpaced Sainz whenever he wanted.

And dint Ocon undercut Norris thanks to a better pace?

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier
154
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:54 am

Re: [ 2020 ] Renault F1 Team - Renault

Post

Blackout wrote:Maybe. But Renault also had a very shitty strategy + bad luck in that race. And Ocon did not really represent the car's true pace there.
RIC was controlling his pace and he outpaced Sainz whenever he wanted.

And dint Ocon undercut Norris thanks to a better pace?
You probably should watch the race again.... RIC didn’t “outpaced” Sainz... Sainz matched RIC’s times after the problems on the first pitstops... The only reason why RIC created a gap with Sainz is because his second pitstop placed him behind both Magnusen and Leclerc’s and Sainz lost a lot of time making the pass on Leclerc

Renault’s pace isn’t better than McLaren this season and the Hungary results were deserved by Renault, but not due to outright pace.

But, it’s your opinion...


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Iowa
Iowa
12
Joined: Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:42 pm

Re: [ 2020 ] Renault F1 Team - Renault

Post

Good race from the team ! The car looks to have better pace at the end of the races on low fuel and seems to be easier on his tires. It seems to me the car still lack traction on low speed corner which input a lower straight line speed, Ricciardo struggled more to pass Grosjean than the Mclaren's. Still, Superb drive from him and good to see Ocon getting the same kind of pace.

Hope they have another great race next week. With Checo missing, they can score big points again and the team could be in the fight for 4th or 3rd in the WCC.

selvam_e2002
selvam_e2002
-2
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:52 am

Re: [ 2020 ] Renault F1 Team - Renault

Post

Not sure when Ric overtook Norris? If we have one more lap he could be in 3rd place.

If Renault improve Qualy pace then they will be 3rd or 4th fastest team. Let see how they improve the car through out the season.