[ 2020 ] Renault F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Blackout

Re: [ 2020 ] Renault F1 Team - Renault

SmallSoldier wrote:
01 Aug 2020, 19:15
Blackout wrote:Maybe. But Renault also had a very shitty strategy + bad luck in that race. And Ocon did not really represent the car's true pace there.
RIC was controlling his pace and he outpaced Sainz whenever he wanted.

And dint Ocon undercut Norris thanks to a better pace?
You probably should watch the race again.... RIC didn’t “outpaced” Sainz... Sainz matched RIC’s times after the problems on the first pitstops... The only reason why RIC created a gap with Sainz is because his second pitstop placed him behind both Magnusen and Leclerc’s and Sainz lost a lot of time making the pass on Leclerc

Renault’s pace isn’t better than McLaren this season and the Hungary results were deserved by Renault, but not due to outright pace.

But, it’s your opinion...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Okay maybe I was wrong for Hungary... but Sainz seems to agree with me (for Hungary) :mrgreen:
Norris and Sainz on the race pace vs the Renault:

That was a nice performance  :P
Now they have to find solutions for qualy and the bad S2 : )
Last year, they tested these two rear wings, then they kept the thinner one and they used it this weekend too. But maybe it's a bit too light for S2.
Maybe the team was too confident against MCL and Ferrari in qualifying and that's why they didn't explore other alternatives. So I hope they will try another aero setup in Silverstone2. Try to Increase df a little bit without unbalancing the car and without losing too much in the straights.  :p

But the s1 and s3 arent too shabby, so the mechanical grip and the stability under braking arent bad with this low df level.
2019:
https://imgr1.auto-motor-und-sport.de/D ... 610837.jpg

2020 vs Mcl:

Blackout

selvam_e2002 wrote:
02 Aug 2020, 19:16
Not sure when Ric overtook Norris? If we have one more lap he could be in 3rd place.
I dont think so, LEC was cruising and managing the gap at the end. If RIC had 0 car between him and LEC from the beginning of the race, would he have caught LEC? Maybe... maybe not... the Ferrari was out of reach in Q anyways

SmallSoldier

Blackout wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:
01 Aug 2020, 19:15
Blackout wrote:Maybe. But Renault also had a very shitty strategy + bad luck in that race. And Ocon did not really represent the car's true pace there.
RIC was controlling his pace and he outpaced Sainz whenever he wanted.

And dint Ocon undercut Norris thanks to a better pace?
You probably should watch the race again.... RIC didn’t “outpaced” Sainz... Sainz matched RIC’s times after the problems on the first pitstops... The only reason why RIC created a gap with Sainz is because his second pitstop placed him behind both Magnusen and Leclerc’s and Sainz lost a lot of time making the pass on Leclerc

Renault’s pace isn’t better than McLaren this season and the Hungary results were deserved by Renault, but not due to outright pace.

But, it’s your opinion...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Okay maybe I was wrong for Hungary... but Sainz seems to agree with me (for Hungary) :mrgreen:
Norris and Sainz on the race pace vs the Renault:

That was a nice performance  :P
Now they have to find solutions for qualy and the bad S2 : )
Last year, they tested these two rear wings, then they kept the thinner one and they used it this weekend too. But maybe it's a bit too light for S2.
Maybe the team was too confident against MCL and Ferrari in qualifying and that's why they didn't explore other alternatives. So I hope they will try another aero setup in Silverstone2. Try to Increase df a little bit without unbalancing the car and without losing too much in the straights.  :p

But the s1 and s3 arent too shabby, so the mechanical grip and the stability under braking arent bad with this low df level.
2019:
https://imgr1.auto-motor-und-sport.de/D ... 610837.jpg

2020 vs Mcl:
I never said that Renault didn’t had the capability of been faster than Mclaren and at Silverstone that seemed to be the case and they had more pace than Mclaren... But, going from that to say that they easily outpace them, it’s simply not true... It’s a tight fight and the balance of performance will probably change at every race between that group of teams fighting for P3 in the WCC... At any given weekend one of them has the potential to lead that group... In Austria Mclaren was leading that group, in Hungary Racing Point lead that group, I will argue that in Silverstone Renault was the one leading that group (although, the result indicates that it was probably Ferrari leading it, they just didn’t need to show any additional pace).

But, the fight is so close that no one is “easily” beating the other ones yet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Blackout

Dont take that sentence ou of its context. I was only talking about a past race, in Hungary ; ) and okay, "easily" and even "beat" arent necessarily suitable in that case.
I'm aware that the hierarchy in Q and race could be also track-dépendant between these close cars, they dont have the same strengths and weaknesses. That sentence put together shows that. : )

Blackout

djos wrote:
04 Aug 2020, 22:55
ALO_Power wrote:
04 Aug 2020, 20:11
If that's any accurate then we can expect a decent gain in 2021 with 37hp extra:
https://i.imgur.com/hklGLPt.jpg
Now that will be awesome!

Honestly, I think with the quality of the Mclaren chassis, combined with the Merc PU, Daniel and Lando will be fighting for podiums on a regular basis next year.
Or they'll be behind Renault thanks to Alonso and the fully new Renault PU that Mclaren knows nothing about because they only know the 2020 PU which is a small evolution of the 2019 one and is focused on durability :mrgreen:
(and those numbers seem to be BS)

Wynters

3-Place penalty for Ocon. Team admitted they didn't say anything about Russell to him.

djos

Yeah that was a slam dunk.

Epic job by Daniel tho, he was on the pace all weekend!
"In downforce we trust"

browney

Did Riccardo only go out on mediums in Q3? What was the reason for this? I assumed they would do a banker on the mediums then go for a lap on the softs

anzx

ATM it looks like the team did the mistake replacing Hulkenberg with Ocon.

djos

browney wrote:
09 Aug 2020, 08:44
Did Riccardo only go out on mediums in Q3? What was the reason for this? I assumed they would do a banker on the mediums then go for a lap on the softs
Yes, he said the soft tires degraded too quickly over the course of a lap.
"In downforce we trust"

Big Tea

anzx wrote:
09 Aug 2020, 08:51
ATM it looks like the team did the mistake replacing Hulkenberg with Ocon.
It looks like, but lets see the race first. Hulk has such bad luck he will probably run most of the race in 4th and fail on the last lap. He can not seem to break the jinx
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

JordanMugen

PowerandtheGlory wrote:
15 Aug 2020, 10:25
But lets address the elephant in the room...
Estaban just isnt quick.....
I presume Renault had their reasons for replacing Hulk with Ocon, however the difference in performance isn't clear cut and Ocon has already shown some concerning Ocon-esque hot-headedness on the team radio. Ocon's driving and speed seems OK to me however.

rgimblett

What a terrible race they had in Spain. Car seems to be better than these results so are they just unreliable at finding the best setup and/or poor at maximising the strategy?

Cyril was upset Daniel jumped ship but on the basis this car is no closer to the front than 2019 and 2018 there's little to substantiate they're capable to reach the front.

Neno

rgimblett wrote:
17 Aug 2020, 13:39
What a terrible race they had in Spain. Car seems to be better than these results so are they just unreliable at finding the best setup and/or poor at maximising the strategy?

Cyril was upset Daniel jumped ship but on the basis this car is no closer to the front than 2019 and 2018 there's little to substantiate they're capable to reach the front.
If world was in normal, next year we would have new regs with complete new rules and new cars. And Renault in chance to fight for a win likely. Developing current car was waste of time till December 2019 for Enstone. Covid-19 completely changed dynamic and car development for them. And now Renault is forced to run another year same car. To little? Yeah, you are right. But not because Renault is incapable of doing such.