Silly Season 2020/2021 (starting with silliness in 2019)

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Big Tea

Re: Silly Season 2020/2021 (starting with silliness in 2019)

Scorpaguy wrote:
08 Aug 2020, 22:12
PlatinumZealot wrote:
08 Aug 2020, 18:48
Well.. they used Hamilton's marketability as reason why they should be getting a bigger share in the new Concorde agreement! So they, Mercedes, want Hamilton as much as he wants them. It makes sense because at the end of the day Formula 1 is entertainment and a marketing exercise to the investors. To racers, engineers and fans its a bit different of course.
No argument from me on that PZ. My "pay cut" quip was not about Ham's ability/prowess (proven, I need not elaborate). Rather I was just waxing poetic due to the overall financial status of our covid world...Merc, or course, less affected than most. My main point was just that Ham truly has no other grid options at the moment...even if he wanted to move. I am not sure his ego would allow for him to go to a start-up/re-build-up...and at this time, Merc is the only sharp stick on the grid. As for the 2020 WDC, our only hope for drama is Bot finding a groove...something I have yet to see. Looking like 7 in 2020(asterisk or not) and 8 in 2021. 2022 is likely a 9, and then he is gone...all in a black merc (seems a marriage made in F1 heaven).
I see Hamilton as the sort of guy who found himself in that place would go to someone like Gunther and pull any string he can for support and be back fighting for podiums in 3 years, Shoe at Ferrari style. He has money and enough clout not to have to spend his own, just get some 'names' onboard and he would put in the work.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

adrianjordan

Big Tea wrote:
08 Aug 2020, 22:57
Scorpaguy wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:
08 Aug 2020, 18:48
Well.. they used Hamilton's marketability as reason why they should be getting a bigger share in the new Concorde agreement! So they, Mercedes, want Hamilton as much as he wants them. It makes sense because at the end of the day Formula 1 is entertainment and a marketing exercise to the investors. To racers, engineers and fans its a bit different of course.
No argument from me on that PZ. My "pay cut" quip was not about Ham's ability/prowess (proven, I need not elaborate). Rather I was just waxing poetic due to the overall financial status of our covid world...Merc, or course, less affected than most. My main point was just that Ham truly has no other grid options at the moment...even if he wanted to move. I am not sure his ego would allow for him to go to a start-up/re-build-up...and at this time, Merc is the only sharp stick on the grid. As for the 2020 WDC, our only hope for drama is Bot finding a groove...something I have yet to see. Looking like 7 in 2020(asterisk or not) and 8 in 2021. 2022 is likely a 9, and then he is gone...all in a black merc (seems a marriage made in F1 heaven).
I see Hamilton as the sort of guy who found himself in that place would go to someone like Gunther and pull any string he can for support and be back fighting for podiums in 3 years, Shoe at Ferrari style. He has money and enough clout not to have to spend his own, just get some 'names' onboard and he would put in the work.
I kind of agree, but I think if he goes anywhere after Merc, which I don't think he will. I honestly think he's Merc until he retires. If Ham were to go anywhere with a few to rebuilding the team, I think it would be back to McLaren.

Let's not forget that his hero is Senna and he has a history with the team.
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Big Tea

adrianjordan wrote:
09 Aug 2020, 12:26
Big Tea wrote:
Scorpaguy wrote:

I kind of agree, but I think if he goes anywhere after Merc, which I don't think he will. I honestly think he's Merc until he retires. If Ham were to go anywhere with a few to rebuilding the team, I think it would be back to McLaren.

I could imagine him going back to a resurgent Mclaren, the scenario above is if he finds himself dumped without a top 3 option. As long as Mercedes is there in some form I see him with them, even if it becomes a 'reverse Brawn' with Merc selling up and going home.

Jolle
Jolle

Big Tea wrote:
09 Aug 2020, 12:34
adrianjordan wrote:
Big Tea wrote:

I could imagine him going back to a resurgent Mclaren, the scenario above is if he finds himself dumped without a top 3 option. As long as Mercedes is there in some form I see him with them, even if it becomes a 'reverse Brawn' with Merc selling up and going home.
Hmm, I think at this moment, Mercedes needs Hamilton more then Hamilton needs Mercedes and looking at drivers salaries in the past, he's worth at least around 40-50 mln a year. If talks somehow break down, he could just sit a year out or have a move to a team like Ferrari (if Hamilton doen suddenly becomes available, they could pay Sainz to sit this one out). Mercedes can't sit out a season or have their investment in F1 be gone to waste on a driver like Bottas, who is good, but not the marketing product Daimler is aiming for.

Big Tea

Jolle wrote:
09 Aug 2020, 12:54
Big Tea wrote:
09 Aug 2020, 12:34
adrianjordan wrote:

Hmm, I think at this moment, Mercedes needs Hamilton more then Hamilton needs Mercedes and looking at drivers salaries in the past, he's worth at least around 40-50 mln a year. If talks somehow break down, he could just sit a year out or have a move to a team like Ferrari (if Hamilton doen suddenly becomes available, they could pay Sainz to sit this one out). Mercedes can't sit out a season or have their investment in F1 be gone to waste on a driver like Bottas, who is good, but not the marketing product Daimler is aiming for.
But the inverse is also true. If Hamilton walked (which he will not) you can bet every single driver bar none except possibly Charles will be dropping a text if not knocking on the door of Merc looking for a deal.

jumpingfish

I want to see Charles and Max in one team. Epic long battles for history are guaranteed Image

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

jumpingfish wrote:
09 Aug 2020, 17:18
I want to see Charles and Max in one team. Epic long battles for history are guaranteed http://www.kolobok.us/smiles/standart/good.gif
Never going to happen. These are drivers that a team looks after and treats as Number 1 with a view to being supported by a Number 2. No team would want them together and have to deal with the fallout from incidents like last season's Brazilian GP. Because that's what would happen.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

jumpingfish

Just_a_fan wrote:
09 Aug 2020, 18:25
jumpingfish wrote:
09 Aug 2020, 17:18
I want to see Charles and Max in one team. Epic long battles for history are guaranteed http://www.kolobok.us/smiles/standart/good.gif
Never going to happen. These are drivers that a team looks after and treats as Number 1 with a view to being supported by a Number 2. No team would want them together and have to deal with the fallout from incidents like last season's Brazilian GP. Because that's what would happen.
I know but anyway it would be epic with their wheel-to-wheel fights at least in ~ equal cars. Also I want 20 car manufacturers with 20 drivers on the grid, everyone fights for himself, no need command tactics and orders, each pilot is a leader in his team, a car is made for his piloting style, updates and settings are brought for him. :D

JordanMugen

Scorpaguy wrote:
My main point was just that Ham truly has no other grid options at the moment...even if he wanted to move.
:?:

Albon is not confirmed AFAIK, Verstappen + Hamilton would a be good pairing provided Hamilton has reasonable salary demands that are acceptable to Red Bull.

For around $10m I think Red Bull would be happy to sign Hamilton, and it would weaken their rival Mercedes team, which would be good for Red Bull too. :)

raymondu999

JordanMugen wrote:
10 Aug 2020, 15:10
Scorpaguy wrote:
My main point was just that Ham truly has no other grid options at the moment...even if he wanted to move.

Albon is not confirmed AFAIK, Verstappen + Hamilton would a be good pairing provided Hamilton has reasonable salary demands that are acceptable to Red Bull.

For around $10m I think Red Bull would be happy to sign Hamilton, and it would weaken their rival Mercedes team, which would be good for Red Bull too. :)
Going back to Scorp’s point, why would Ham go to RB? Merc is still the stronger bet, probably. (For 2021) - he’d probably take the pay cut to stay. Personally that’s what I’d do, not that it matters what I’d do
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

GPR-A

JordanMugen wrote:
I am sure Anthony would be more than happy to sign the deal and drive for RB for $10mn. One heck of deal to start his own career.

Big Tea

JordanMugen wrote:
Scorpaguy wrote:

I don't think Red Bull would allow Hamilton's lifestyle. He likes to have a lot going on in his own sphere bey Red Bull like you to be 'in the family'. Can not see him buying it, or sticking it if he did.

PlatinumZealot

Redbull would love Hamilton for marketing! They would take him away from Monster.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

dodds_turbo

JordanMugen wrote:
04 Aug 2020, 21:34
dodds_turbo wrote:
04 Aug 2020, 12:43
Is there likely to be anything in Vettel's contract that forces him to keep driving this donkey that Ferrari call an F1 car?
Donkey!? Ferrari's F1 car has finished on the podium twice.
Not Vettel's car. Now even Ferrari are open to changing the chassis as they suspect his car is knackered. Vettel's car is a donkey, not a prancing horse.
Gothrek wrote:
05 Aug 2020, 02:31
Not a single time on merit for those podiums. Both times Leclerc has all the luck in world, just drives and stuff happens in front him gifting him a podium.
Ferrari really created a donkey this year, its almost sad to watch.
I think Leclerc is where he is on a lot of talent but equally a lot of luck/fortune. He is over-delivering on a Ferrari that doesn't deserve to be where it is.

dans79

PlatinumZealot wrote:
10 Aug 2020, 16:57
Redbull would love Hamilton for marketing! They would take him away from Monster.
Honestly, I don't know how people can drink any of that stuff. even if you mix it with a lot of alcohol it makes me want to gag.
197 104 103 7