[ 2020 ] Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Darth-Piekus

Re: [ 2020 ] Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

Actually we did pretty well in the last weekend compared to this one. If it wasn't for tyre issues we would have finished in front of the Renault and if Silverstone wasn't that narrow we would have found a way to pass Leclerc in a straight.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Bit of a disappointment in the race, but I felt that the team did well with what they had. Only complaint is the slow pitstop for Carlos which cost him at least 4-5 seconds and put him 3-4 spots down the order. Hard to come back from that. Other than that, it seemed decent. We did not have stellar pace but the guys were racy, Carlos forced Ricciardo into a mistake, Ocon didn't do much better than us so at least we didn't lose a lot compared to Renault.

Leclerc seems to be outperforming the car, very impressive to see, but if it continues like this I doubt he can singlehandedly pull Ferrari ahead of the midfield.

I'm optimistic for the remainder of the season but we probably should be ready to accept that the team starts to push changes to the car which will make it suit Mercedes engine better. Perhaps closer to the end of the season we see a performance drop off as the team makes changes before token system is put into effect.

diffuser

SmallSoldier wrote:
09 Aug 2020, 17:12
genarro wrote:Todays race pace was on par with everyone in the midfield. On track was hard to overtake and the tyres were an unknown.. I expect us to be very much on the sharp end of the midfield in barcelo a and italy
Simply put, the car wasn’t at it’s best today in Silverstone... Just as Mercedes showed, sometimes conditions can play against you and the MCL35 seem to struggle with the high temperatures all weekend.

But, we are still in the fight and coming home with a couple points is not a bad result given the pace of the car... On to Barcelona now!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Tired of them going backwards during the race cause of pitstops. I think a 7 and 9 finish was possible.

diffuser

Darth-Piekus wrote:
09 Aug 2020, 21:01
Actually we did pretty well in the last weekend compared to this one. If it wasn't for tyre issues we would have finished in front of the Renault and if Silverstone wasn't that narrow we would have found a way to pass Leclerc in a straight.
It would have been an uphill battle for Sainz to get past LeClerc. With the cooling problems he was slow on the straights. He would have had to pass him in S2 which is nearly impossible.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Seidl said the team would invest in equipment that would help tackle issues they’ve been having with pit stops in recent seasons. I would really like to know if that has been done, if it has, then I guess someone or some people need to be held accountable, not firings, but maybe reshuffling or demotions. The team is quite possibly the worst in pit stops on the grid, few would disagree. I personally first noticed their pit stop failings during the 2016 season, I honestly don’t know if it goes further back. Whatever the case, something drastic and aggressive needs to be done.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

mwillems

diffuser wrote:
10 Aug 2020, 02:38
Darth-Piekus wrote:
It would have been an uphill battle for Sainz to get past LeClerc. With the cooling problems he was slow on the straights. He would have had to pass him in S2 which is nearly impossible.
I wonder how much they will impact the team in Barcelona. Hopefully a good solution will be in place by then.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Andres125sx

Those pitstops are costing a lot of points, a lot!. Specially with Carlos they´ve ruined several races, and that´s from only 5 to date. With the midfield so tight, poor pitstops can and will be the difference and McLaren will finish 6th in the WCC if they can´t drastically improve it

diffuser

mwillems wrote:
10 Aug 2020, 11:32
diffuser wrote:
10 Aug 2020, 02:38
Darth-Piekus wrote:
I wonder how much they will impact the team in Barcelona. Hopefully a good solution will be in place by then.
Team? they only impacted Sainz, Apparently Norris had no issues.

Who know's not like they've had cooling problems before. maybe they've figured it out? Maybe it isn't as hot in Spain?

Pretty sure they'll suck in S3 in Spain.
Last edited by diffuser on 10 Aug 2020, 14:29, edited 1 time in total.

mwillems

In my head I'm thinking that the heat of Barcelona may tip Norris' cooling over the edge and still require more cooling than others. But it's possible that Sainz will be hampered more than most again so ultimately it affects the team, if it pans out. Basically the cooling concerns me that we may have a similar or worse issue that causes one or two of our cars to be compromised.

I'm not technical so I don't know, but if it does we are in for a massive struggle.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

_cerber1

I don't think cooling is McLaren's problem. Key said that the problem was most likely in the sensor, Lando did not suffer from this on the same machine. In general, I think that the team's weak performance is due to the rubber, which was brought to the second stage at Silverstone. At the first race, everything was fine with speed.

Andres125sx

diffuser wrote:
10 Aug 2020, 14:08
Maybe it isn't as hot in Spain?
Spain hotter than UK in August? Nah, probability of that is only a 99.999% :mrgreen:

It´s around 36-38ºC (97-100ºF) on average here in Spain, but for this week forecast says temps will be a bit cooler... hopefully!

the EDGE
the EDGE

Andres125sx wrote:
10 Aug 2020, 15:10
diffuser wrote:
Spain hotter than UK in August? Nah, probability of that is only a 99.999% :mrgreen:

It´s around 36-38ºC (97-100ºF) on average here in Spain, but for this week forecast says temps will be a bit cooler... hopefully!
https://cdn4.vectorstock.com/i/thumb-la ... 045333.jpg
Fortunately we are back to the hardest compound tyre choice this weekend, and with much lower pressures than yesterday, 23.0 psi (front) & 20.5 psi (rear).

Hopefully we can be competitive again!

Big Tea

Andres125sx wrote:
diffuser wrote:

The Silverstone track is a very strange animal. It is very black and on a very dense bed so it absorbs heat and becomes very hot to the touch, and very hot to a depth. It is like a large radiator so transmits heat by conduction and radiation in longer wavelengths. Probably the surface temp will be higher in Spain, but possibly less will be transmitted back into the tyre
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Hoffman900
Hoffman900

Big Tea wrote:
10 Aug 2020, 16:28
Andres125sx wrote:
diffuser wrote:

The Silverstone track is a very strange animal. It is very black and on a very dense bed so it absorbs heat and becomes very hot to the touch, and very hot to a depth. It is like a large radiator so transmits heat by conduction and radiation in longer wavelengths. Probably the surface temp will be higher in Spain, but possibly less will be transmitted back into the tyre
Not sure I follow that logic. Most racing surface beds, especially modern tracks, are built to the same way. Regardless, thermal capacity degrades with depth.

I think the lower min. pressures and different compounds will be the whole store.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

diffuser wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:
09 Aug 2020, 17:12
genarro wrote:Todays race pace was on par with everyone in the midfield. On track was hard to overtake and the tyres were an unknown.. I expect us to be very much on the sharp end of the midfield in barcelo a and italy
Simply put, the car wasn’t at it’s best today in Silverstone... Just as Mercedes showed, sometimes conditions can play against you and the MCL35 seem to struggle with the high temperatures all weekend.

But, we are still in the fight and coming home with a couple points is not a bad result given the pace of the car... On to Barcelona now!

Tired of them going backwards during the race cause of pitstops. I think a 7 and 9 finish was possible.
I share the frustration... There aren’t any excuses for the PitStop performance and really surprised we are suffering as much as we do with them this season.

Hope we find a good solution soon, since not only it isn’t helping the team, it is actually taking several points from the team lately.