[ 2020 ] Williams F1 Team - Mercedes

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
jjn9128

Re: [ 2020 ] Williams F1 Team - Mercedes

That's a bit tin foil hat.

IMO Frank put Claire in charge because he could control the team by proxy. That undermined her authority in the team, not that I think she particularly had the authority/expertise to lead it anyway. The succession plan was always Adam Parr but that relationship soured before he could take over.

As for Senna, there's so much unfounded speculation and misinformation, and the Italians were desperate for a conviction too so truths were twisted to fit a narrative. There was no cover up, but if you mean the car being destroyed, that was the right thing to do after forensic analysis so it didn't end up in some creeps morbid collection.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

Sevach

jjn9128 wrote:
04 Sep 2020, 00:49
That's a bit tin foil hat.

IMO Frank put Claire in charge because he could control the team by proxy. That undermined her authority in the team, not that I think she particularly had the authority/expertise to lead it anyway. The succession plan was always Adam Parr but that relationship soured before he could take over.
Parr, then Wolff.
After Wolff chose to bolt for Mercedes i guess everyone saw that the only ones who would always be "100% Williams" would be one of his off spring.

As for why Claire and not Johnny, something Peter Windsor keeps mentioning as a wrong decision who knows?

gshevlin

The Williams succession plan was for Adam Parr to gradually assume all commercial responsibilities to allow Frank to step almost completely into the background. That plan went out of the window when Parr butted heads with Bernie Ecclestone, and so he had to go. Toto could have been really good, but then he was made an offer by Mercedes that history shows that he would have been a fool to refuse.
As for the future...the announcements just made are for general leadership roles and the oversight from Dorilton. It is not clear to me who is going to actually run the race team and the development programs. Dorilton needs somebody with a track record in race team direction roles. There are not many people with the skills who would be immediately available. Except for a certain Mr. Lowe...

kalinka

gshevlin wrote:
04 Sep 2020, 03:26
As for the future...the announcements just made are for general leadership roles and the oversight from Dorilton. It is not clear to me who is going to actually run the race team and the development programs. Dorilton needs somebody with a track record in race team direction roles. There are not many people with the skills who would be immediately available. Except for a certain Mr. Lowe...
^
These are the most important questions now, and it's quite sad that nobody pops up as a clear candidate for these roles within the team ( not that there are many more out there too ). I've got more than a gut feeling that Frank is quite a bit poisonous for these management positions. I think he still tries to always have an upper hand and that undermines authority of these people, including Claire.

gshevlin

The really interesting question is who is behind BCE Ltd, which may be the final buyer, with Dorilton acting as the proxy front for the deal.

Lynx

Reading all these negative posts about how the team was run is quite annoying actually. Do you realise that the last family or privately owned team without "limitless" suply of someone's money (other than Williams and Sauber briefly from 2010 - 2016) was sold in 2005? And that for the last 15 years they were the only ones that managed it? And now after they were the ONLY ones of its kind for the last 15 years, some of you still see it like a failure. Incredible.
I am quite sure that without Covid crisis and collapse of F1 money distribution we would not have this situation today.

Another topic... Does anybody know if Jonathan Williams also leaves from his post at Williams Heritage?

qatmix

Simon Roberts is the new acting Team Principle. https://www.joeblogsf1.com/joesaward/id/00803

Lynx

It seems that Dorilton's money already started to flow:

https://www.williamsf1.com/news/2020/09 ... rity-group

ScottR267

https://www.motorsportgp.pl/otmar-szafn ... u-williams

You will need to use google translator, however it states that Andy Cowell will go to Aston Martin and Otmar Szfanauer will move to Williams.

diffuser

Lynx wrote:
04 Sep 2020, 17:43
Reading all these negative posts about how the team was run is quite annoying actually. Do you realise that the last family or privately owned team without "limitless" suply of someone's money (other than Williams and Sauber briefly from 2010 - 2016) was sold in 2005? And that for the last 15 years they were the only ones that managed it? And now after they were the ONLY ones of its kind for the last 15 years, some of you still see it like a failure. Incredible.
I am quite sure that without Covid crisis and collapse of F1 money distribution we would not have this situation today.

Another topic... Does anybody know if Jonathan Williams also leaves from his post at Williams Heritage?
Could it be that with the new racing regs coming into effect, that F1 teams values have gone up. Claire just doesn't want to be involved anymore, is taking the payday and getting out? I kind of thought she was gonna get out soon, just not this year. I was surprised by that.

Big Tea

ScottR267 wrote:
16 Sep 2020, 01:51

You will need to use google translator, however it states that Andy Cowell will go to Aston Martin and Otmar Szfanauer will move to Williams.
This would be replacing a 'manager' with an engine guy?
While obviously a very good acquisition, could he do Otmar's job well? Or is 'someone' going with him?
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Manoah2u

Big Tea wrote:
16 Sep 2020, 14:55
ScottR267 wrote:

While obviously a very good acquisition, could he do Otmar's job well? Or is 'someone' going with him?
That's funny, I just recently announced that.

Quote from the Silly Season thread.
Manoah2u wrote:
10 Sep 2020, 20:59
MtthsMlw wrote:
10 Sep 2020, 20:56
Manoah2u wrote:
10 Sep 2020, 20:32
well wow. just when i believed vettel didn't go to RP based upon statements of otmar that sergio stays and vettel 'never was in' this totally flabbergasted me. wtf!!!
Some say that Szafnauer and other team members wanted Perez to stay but Stroll Sr. and the AM board pushed to get Vettel.
Good point. That would explain a lot.

Here's something. Could Szafnauer call it quits next year?
move to....Williams? :wtf:
Toto.......to Aston? :wtf:
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Big Tea

Manoah2u wrote:
17 Sep 2020, 09:43
Big Tea wrote:
16 Sep 2020, 14:55
ScottR267 wrote:

That's funny, I just recently announced that.

Quote from the Silly Season thread.
Manoah2u wrote:
10 Sep 2020, 20:59
MtthsMlw wrote:
10 Sep 2020, 20:56

Some say that Szafnauer and other team members wanted Perez to stay but Stroll Sr. and the AM board pushed to get Vettel.
Good point. That would explain a lot.

Here's something. Could Szafnauer call it quits next year?
move to....Williams? :wtf:
Toto.......to Aston? :wtf:
So I did not start the rumour, You did :evil:
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Manoah2u

Let's face it, RP mentioned they are going a 'new direction' and Perez doesn't fit. Then Vettel got announced. Toto has bought a huge stake in RP/AMR. He is friends with Stroll Sr. Toto is concidering his future, and there's substancial plausibility that he is not just able but motivated to go to Aston Martin. He's been in contineous contact with Vettel the moment he was 'released' from Ferrari. Otmar mentioned Vettel never was 'in' and they're happy with Sergio, just moments before that announcement of taking a different 'route'.
I would read that as Otmar being part of something to 'change'.

Otmar is "American," Williams is now 'American' if you may. Otmar is THE guy to lift Williams from it's current slump.

There's a lot to say for that, but in the end, it can be nothing at all either.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Baulz

There are some comments from Claire today saying that the loss of their title sponsor led to the sale, otherwise they would have continued. They may have dragged on a bit longer but I think they were always going to get to this point.