[ 2020 ] Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
PhillipM

Re: [ 2020 ] Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

And the problem with the nose is the structural portion of it that needs to go through crash testing isn't covered under the free bodywork changes. Hence dev this year.

SmallSoldier

Big Tea wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:
21 Sep 2020, 18:19
the EDGE wrote: So many questions I forgot 1 :lol:

Personally I don't believe the pu intergration will be an problem. The loss of the token is the real issue, for example others may choose to upgrade both front & rear suspension where McLaren would have to choose 1 or the other
Actually, Mclaren will have to use both tokens for the engine integration... They won’t have an additional token for other changes, while the rest of the teams will have those 2 tokens to make changes.

That’s why it is stated that Mclaren are in a losing position against the other teams, because the 2 tokens used for the engine change can’t create a performance increase (Mclaren has to show that the changes to accommodate the new engine doesn’t create additional performance).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
But what about everything they have to change to facilitate the engine change? can thy not be the things that would have been upgraded anyway?
The token system was created because of Mclaren’s PU change... In theory the chassis were going to be frozen into 2021... McLaren needed to make modifications to the chassis to accommodate it, in order for the other teams to allow the changes in a fairness spirit, the token system was put in place.

McLaren will have to make modifications, the biggest and most likely will be in regards to the wheelbase of the car due to the different layouts... McLaren has to proof to the FIA that all changes are in order to install the PU and not for performance improvements, therefore minimizing what they can change on their suspension for example.

It has had to be extremely difficult for McLaren to not only try to push developments for the MCL35, but also push developments for the MCL36 before the homologation deadlines (for example, the new nose, which is really an MCL36 part, but needed to be brought up early in order to be able to use it next year).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

godlameroso

The loss of the floor, diffuser fence height, and leading edge angle will mean the bargeboards will be more important.

Teams are already focusing on this area in preparation for next year. McLaren has introduced a lot of bargeboard parts lately as has Mercedes. This is not by accident.
Saishū kōnā

the EDGE

godlameroso wrote:
22 Sep 2020, 00:03
The loss of the floor, diffuser fence height, and leading edge angle will mean the bargeboards will be more important.

Teams are already focusing on this area in preparation for next year. McLaren has introduced a lot of bargeboard parts lately as has Mercedes. This is not by accident.
The new floor trialed was definitely in response to next years changes and maybe the latest fences too, but as they are still run on Carlos’ car with the current floor there must be a benefit

I would have thought the bargeboards updates were well underway before this announcement, and possibly before Covid forced the decision to roll-over the chassis too?

_cerber1

“Even though we are past the halfway point of the season, we still have to focus on the task at hand and continue to work hard. The balance of resources between car upgrades, spare parts and next year’s car continues to be an exciting challenge in this compact season. We’ll be deploying some new updates in future races with the aim to improve the car.”

https://www.mclaren.com/racing/2020/rus ... ow-russia/

M840TR

_cerber1 wrote:
22 Sep 2020, 14:39
“Even though we are past the halfway point of the season, we still have to focus on the task at hand and continue to work hard. The balance of resources between car upgrades, spare parts and next year’s car continues to be an exciting challenge in this compact season. We’ll be deploying some new updates in future races with the aim to improve the car.”

https://www.mclaren.com/racing/2020/rus ... ow-russia/
Interesting to see when they introduce the new nose. The current lock-in for chassis design sets at the end of September. Yet the team has said it might be introduced only after Sochi. Perhaps mere testing approves the concept for future integration?

_cerber1

M840TR wrote:
23 Sep 2020, 09:33
Interesting to see when they introduce the new nose. The current lock-in for chassis design sets at the end of September. Yet the team has said it might be introduced only after Sochi. Perhaps mere testing approves the concept for future integration?
Maybe it means that at the end of September there will be a ban on work in a wind tunnel and CFD on these elements?

the EDGE

_cerber1 wrote:
23 Sep 2020, 09:54
M840TR wrote:
Maybe it means that at the end of September there will be a ban on work in a wind tunnel and CFD on these elements?
It’s been baffling me too. I think the rules are quite clear, after 30th Sep you can not change homologated parts without the use of tokens.

It’s worth noting that only the front impact structure is homologated, non-structural farings remain free to be updated as & when, so perhaps either the front impact structure remains unchanged and didn’t require a new crash test, or the front impact structure has already been changed and the old fairings have been integrated whilst development continues

M840TR

the EDGE wrote:
23 Sep 2020, 10:07
_cerber1 wrote:
23 Sep 2020, 09:54
M840TR wrote:
It’s been baffling me too. I think the rules are quite clear, after 30th Sep you can not change homologated parts without the use of tokens.

It’s worth noting that only the front impact structure is homologated, non-structural farings remain free to be updated as & when, so perhaps either the front impact structure remains unchanged and didn’t require a new crash test, or the front impact structure has already been changed and the old fairings have been integrated whilst development continues
The nose is essentially the front impact structure though. Given the contrast between the two I doubt they share that aspect.

I guess we'll know in a few days' time.

CjC
CjC

Might it just be the design/ drawing that’s homologated and the physical part can be raced after the 30th?
Just a fan's point of view

the EDGE

CjC wrote:
23 Sep 2020, 11:17
Might it just be the design/ drawing that’s homologated and the physical part can be raced after the 30th?
I don’t think so...
a number of components or assemblies will be homologated from a certain moment during the 2020 Championship, to be used for the rest of the 2020 Championship and for the 2021 Championship
https://www.fia.com/sites/default/files ... 6-19_1.pdf

adrianjordan

the EDGE wrote:
23 Sep 2020, 11:41
CjC wrote:
I don’t think so...
a number of components or assemblies will be homologated from a certain moment during the 2020 Championship, to be used for the rest of the 2020 Championship and for the 2021 Championship
But that rule doesn't preclude using older designs during the rest of the 2020 season.
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

the EDGE

adrianjordan wrote:
23 Sep 2020, 13:00
the EDGE wrote:
23 Sep 2020, 11:41
CjC wrote:
I don’t think so...
But that rule doesn't preclude using older designs during the rest of the 2020 season.
In my opinion it does. You can only Homologate one specification and you must run it for the remainder of this year and all of next year.

I guess the part open for interpretation is do you have to use the part before the deadline, or is it from the first race after the deadline

This would explain why McLaren said to be on car from 2-3 races

The 3rd race would be the first race after the deadline

CjC
CjC

Yea that’s the timeframe I was thinking
Just a fan's point of view

the EDGE

CjC wrote:
23 Sep 2020, 13:31
Yea that’s the timeframe I was thinking
It’s pretty simple when you think about it, I’m clearly not as smart as I thought :lol: