If only.... shark fin will return in F1 2022 or not

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter does not belong here.

Vote: F1 2022 car, without or with shark fin?

Without
72%
With
28%

Total votes: 36

theriusDR3
theriusDR3

If only.... shark fin will return in F1 2022 or not

I honestly choose with shark fin because to make room for sponsors and also aerodynamic improvement.

hudnut
hudnut

Re: If only.... shark fin will return in F1 2022 or not

Only if no sponsors on the fin.

It must have the driver's number in large, bright colour to help Croft work out who is in the car.

Herr_Koos

I never liked the shark fins. Don't want anything interfering with the nice clean lines of the new cars.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

I dislike the fin immensely.
Turbo says "Dumpster sounds so much more classy. It's the diamond of the cesspools." oh, and "The Dutch fans are drunk. Maybe"

the EDGE
the EDGE

I see no reason to want the full shark fin back, they are beyond ugly

strad

The should get rid of the fin for aesthetic reasons but mostly because it is what made them so susceptible to being disturbed by winds. Cross winds in particular.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Zynerji
Zynerji

strad wrote: ↑
Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:29 pm
The should get rid of the fin for aesthetic reasons but mostly because it is what made them so susceptible to being disturbed by winds. Cross winds in particular.
I thought it SOLVED the crosswind problemπŸ€”

I love the look of the 3/4 fins, and it's a great driver number space for the fans to see.

jjn9128

Zynerji wrote: ↑
Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:34 am
Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:29 pm
I thought it SOLVED the crosswind problemπŸ€”

I love the look of the 3/4 fins, and it's a great driver number space for the fans to see.
Fin helps yaw stability but in gusting crosswinds will create a problem with shifting balance. Much like the unnecessarily massive rear wing endplates.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

strad

Exactly... The more surface area the more the winds will affect the cars stability.
Compare a Van or station wagon/estate wagon to something sleeker in the wind on the freeway. :wink:
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Puzzleheaded_Ice
Puzzleheaded_Ice

Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:24 pm
Exactly... The more surface area the more the winds will affect the cars stability.
Compare a Van or station wagon/estate wagon to something sleeker in the wind on the freeway. :wink:

The fin improves yaw stability since the aerodynamic force acting on the fin acts rearwards of the CofG and moves the centre of pressure rearwards in a cross wind which provides a stabilising moment

Not to mention the lateral side force which contributes to cornering forces

Jolle
Jolle

Puzzleheaded_Ice wrote: ↑
Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:51 pm

The fin improves yaw stability since the aerodynamic force acting on the fin acts rearwards of the CofG and moves the centre of pressure rearwards in a cross wind which provides a stabilising moment

Plus, it "simplifies" the airflow to the rear wing, which needs less CFD, tweaking, etc to compute and therefore brings the field closer together.

Puzzleheaded_Ice
Puzzleheaded_Ice

Jolle wrote: ↑
Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:26 pm
Puzzleheaded_Ice wrote: ↑
Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:51 pm

Plus, it "simplifies" the airflow to the rear wing, which needs less CFD, tweaking, etc to compute and therefore brings the field closer together.
That's not quite true, the flowfield will be different but not simpler.

We dont run any less CFD runs whether you have a shark fin or not, we just keep developing the wing