Ferrari SF21 Speculation thread

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
TechF1

Re: Ferrari SF21 Speculation thread

They changed some sponsors like Hublot that is no more present but this is the new SF-21, the rules are very clear:

MachineCo.

There is still quite a lot that teams can change for 2021. Horner said it's about 60% of the car using the tokens. Aero is pretty open so might see some changes to engine cover etc. But even if it looks the same, apparently Ferrari are planning on a new rear end and suspension. Could be some big gains still.

TechF1

MachineCo. wrote:
20 Jan 2021, 22:04
There is still quite a lot that teams can change for 2021. Horner said it's about 60% of the car using the tokens. Aero is pretty open so might see some changes to engine cover etc. But even if it looks the same, apparently Ferrari are planning on a new rear end and suspension. Could be some big gains still.
Teams got just two tokens, a simple modification of the inner of the rear suspension will cost two tokens.
Probably due of the new rules about part of the floor, the diffuser and the rear brake duct, using their tokens somewhere in a more sensible area they can reach 60% of the car, but i think is probably 40%.
Binotto said they will use their two tokens on rear suspension, the photo i posted is the SF-1000 adapted to new rules the shown on a free pratice so the new SF-21 it's the car in the photo, yes they could change aero a bit more, but not a dramatic change.
MCL and Racing Point will got more space for modifications due the engine change, and updated rear suspension (RP will use 2020 version from W11 as per rules).

ryaan2904

TechF1 wrote:
20 Jan 2021, 22:28
MachineCo. wrote:
Teams got just two tokens, a simple modification of the inner of the rear suspension will cost two tokens.
Probably due of the new rules about part of the floor, the diffuser and the rear brake duct, using their tokens somewhere in a more sensible area they can reach 60% of the car, but i think is probably 40%.
Binotto said they will use their two tokens on rear suspension, the photo i posted is the SF-1000 adapted to new rules the shown on a free pratice so the new SF-21 it's the car in the photo, yes they could change aero a bit more, but not a dramatic change.
MCL and Racing Point will got more space for modifications due the engine change, and updated rear suspension (RP will use 2020 version from W11 as per rules).
No. Ferrari are spending their tokens on a new gearbox. It will be much more slimmer. It will also solve the gearbox stiffness problems and they'll change the rear suspension attachment points (which was the problem with the current suspension apparently) without penalty, as long as the inner components remain the same.
CFD Eyes of Sauron

FDD
FDD

ryaan2904 wrote:
21 Jan 2021, 10:19
TechF1 wrote:
MachineCo. wrote:
No. Ferrari are spending their tokens on a new gearbox. It will be much more slimmer. It will also solve the gearbox stiffness problems and they'll change the rear suspension attachment points (which was the problem with the current suspension apparently) without penalty, as long as the inner components remain the same.
As far as I understand (all these are speculations) they'll also change internal structure of the rear suspension system to eliminate problems with overheating which was generating improper reaction of the suspension linked with wrong leveling of the rear of the car under braking or in acceleration on exit of the curve thus stalling the diffuser and losing much downforce.

ryaan2904

FDD wrote:
21 Jan 2021, 11:28
ryaan2904 wrote:
TechF1 wrote:

As far as I understand (all these are speculations) they'll also change internal structure of the rear suspension system to eliminate problems with overheating which was generating improper reaction of the suspension linked with wrong leveling of the rear of the car under braking or in acceleration on exit of the curve thus stalling the diffuser and losing much downforce.
But can't they change only one thing? Either gearbox or suspension? And I'm pretty sure about the gearbox thing..

"spring elements &
damper internals may be
changed, and more
options may be available"
I found this though in the rules, under the 'token free' section of the table
CFD Eyes of Sauron

FDD
FDD

ryaan2904 wrote:
21 Jan 2021, 17:58
FDD wrote:
ryaan2904 wrote:

But can't they change only one thing? Either gearbox or suspension? And I'm pretty sure about the gearbox thing..

"spring elements &
damper internals may be
changed, and more
If I understand right for gearbox and suspension arms attachments points changes they need 2 tokens.

TechF1

FDD wrote:
22 Jan 2021, 01:02
ryaan2904 wrote:
21 Jan 2021, 17:58
FDD wrote:

"spring elements &
damper internals may be
changed, and more
If I understand right for gearbox and suspension arms attachments points changes they need 2 tokens.
Yes they can change just one thing or rear suspension or gearbox (obviously the settings are token free).
So the car is the same SF-1000 updated to 2021 aerodinamic regulations new rear suspension (?) and new engine. Nothing more than this.

ryaan2904

New aero also ofc
CFD Eyes of Sauron

ryaan2904

Also, new wheel nuts and wheel guns (new guns they brought at mugello before freeze)
CFD Eyes of Sauron

MachineCo.

By changing the gearbox, Ferrari will also be allowed to modify the rear suspension.

ferkan

Narrow nose is yet another proof of Ferrari being conservative with its chassis development, they are forever followers (apart from sidepods it must be said).

Reason for high suspension arms at front + narrow nose is clear to everyone now, and whichever team could have changed it - did so. But Ferrari has carried same design of front suspension for years, saying its "OK", but Merc went into extremes and raised it + added cape and with very narrow nose had more space to play with Y250 vortex. This is now followed by most of the grid, bar Ferrari powered teams that dont have token to change it. In fact, even AT will change front of the car and spend tokens there instead of rear, says it all really.

ME4ME

ferkan wrote:
24 Jan 2021, 13:03
..they are forever followers (apart from sidepods it must be said).
As previously pointed out by some much more knowledgeable people on this forum, this is just not true. Quite the opposite. Ferrari have many times been pioneers of new concepts, or applied forgotten solutions to new problems before others thought of them.

Unfortunately they haven't always got the execution right, or haven't being able to exploit a good idea because of other weaknesses elsewhere on the car.

As you said, sidepods. But also sidepod deflectors come to mind (which RB copied to Vettels amusement)
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/how- ... 3/3011090/
And of course the inboard loaded 2019 front wings (althought they weren't the only ones).

Im certain there was a discussion about Ferrari's ability to innovate here a year or so ago, possibly in the 2021 aero thread..

F1NAC

ferkan wrote:
Narrow nose is yet another proof of Ferrari being conservative with its chassis development, they are forever followers (apart from sidepods it must be said).

Reason for high suspension arms at front + narrow nose is clear to everyone now, and whichever team could have changed it - did so. But Ferrari has carried same design of front suspension for years, saying its "OK", but Merc went into extremes and raised it + added cape and with very narrow nose had more space to play with Y250 vortex. This is now followed by most of the grid, bar Ferrari powered teams that dont have token to change it. In fact, even AT will change front of the car and spend tokens there instead of rear, says it all really.
So what are you saying is that they should be spending tokens at the place where gains cannot be so significant rather than trying fixing the problem which is what they are doing atm. :roll:

TechF1

F1NAC wrote:
24 Jan 2021, 13:46
ferkan wrote:

So what are you saying is that they should be spending tokens at the place where gains cannot be so significant rather than trying fixing the problem which is what they are doing atm. :roll:
=D> =D>
Honestly Ferrari need a PU with 50BHP more than Mercedes and magically the aero concept will be the best one. :D
Ferrari has aerodinamic "problems" because the engine lacks of BHP, so they always try to find a way to be competitive lacking power.