2021 Mclaren F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
mwillems

Re: 2021 Mclaren F1 Team

Macklaren wrote:
20 Jan 2021, 23:48
Emag wrote:
20 Jan 2021, 19:19
Anybody knows if Daniel has had a seat fitting session yet? I think Perez got one today and Carlos has been involved with Ferrari basically from the moment 2020 ended.
I guess there's no need to rush anything but would be nice to see some videos / pictures of Daniel interacting with the team.
AFAIK Danny is still in LA. He just posted pics of his new company car (Mclaren 765LT) and the RHUDE partnership on social media. He'll prob have to quarantine for a while if he files to the UK so probably going to be a while
Surprising, he was booked to have his seat fitting in Jan, I know I read that somewhere, but maybe it was pushed back.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Big Tea

mwillems wrote:
21 Jan 2021, 00:02
Big Tea wrote:
20 Jan 2021, 20:49
mwillems wrote:
20 Jan 2021, 19:37

I feel 6th could be our place as easily as 3rd could. Renault, Ferrari and RP will all be competitive this year, we won't have the benefit of a slow starting Ferrari I think.

Re the cost cap, yes it will make it more competitive - and profitable, even for Mclaren. it's interesting you mention that again because only this morning I was reading an article where Daimler had spoken about an ongoing profitable franchise for Mercedes.

https://www.planetf1.com/news/mercedes-f1-team-profit/

I'm posting here because what they say applies to all teams.
I 100% agree with you. I don't see much more than plus or minus a tenth in the teams and some luck or DNF's will define the list.
The tighter the group the less opportunity to get an extra point or two, and that will be the deciding factor along with a slip up or two V another teams fails
Praise the lord for Lance Stroll retaining his seat at RP :lol:
I would not be suspired if he turns out to be the more reliable of the two :mrgreen:
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

mwillems

Big Tea wrote:
21 Jan 2021, 00:12
mwillems wrote:
Big Tea wrote:
20 Jan 2021, 20:49

I 100% agree with you. I don't see much more than plus or minus a tenth in the teams and some luck or DNF's will define the list.
The tighter the group the less opportunity to get an extra point or two, and that will be the deciding factor along with a slip up or two V another teams fails
I would not be suspired if he turns out to be the more reliable of the two :mrgreen:
If that turn out to be the case, I'll send a crate of beer to Buddah, too.

_cerber1

diffuser

mwillems wrote:
21 Jan 2021, 00:32
Big Tea wrote:
mwillems wrote:

It's gonna be a REALLY interesting race inside the race, from a driver perspective, for next year.
How will Vettel rebound in 2021.
Along with how will Perez compare vs Max.
Sainz vs LeCerc.
Riccardo vs Norris
and finally Alonso vs Ocon.

Might take a couple of years to come to a conclusion though.

mwillems

diffuser wrote:
21 Jan 2021, 18:36
mwillems wrote:
Big Tea wrote:

It's gonna be a REALLY interesting race inside the race, from a driver perspective, for next year.
Sainz vs LeCerc.
Riccardo vs Norris

Yeah you're not wrong there. This year has been one of the best seasons in a long long time, next year could be better.

I know the token system is a bit daft, but with the budget cap and the aero changes , I feel like F1 is moving back towards a good place. I feel excited for F1, especially after last years racing :D

Incidentally, ere are my (largely ignorant) F1 matchup predictions for the year:

Vettel beats Lance but struggles to do so.

Max goes toe to toe with Perez, shows his ability by just edging it consistently

Sainz starts strong but falls by the wayside against Leclerc as the Monegasque gets into his stride

Riccardo beats Norris consistently in Q & R with Norris having a couple of standout performances and a gradual improvement

Ocon finishes second to Alonso, gets progressively worse as the season goes on

I'm sure the opposite will now happen, but hey, we have nothing better to do.

Ground Effect

mwillems wrote:
21 Jan 2021, 19:08
diffuser wrote:
mwillems wrote:

Sainz vs LeCerc.
Riccardo vs Norris

Yeah you're not wrong there. This year has been one of the best seasons in a long long time, next year could be better.

I know the token system is a bit daft, but with the budget cap and the aero changes , I feel like F1 is moving back towards a good place. I feel excited for F1, especially after last years racing :D

Incidentally, ere are my (largely ignorant) F1 matchup predictions for the year:

Max goes toe to toe with Perez, shows his ability by just edging it consistently

Sainz starts strong but falls by the wayside against Leclerc as the Monegasque gets into his stride

Riccardo beats Norris consistently in Q & R with Norris having a couple of standout performances and a gradual improvement

I personally tip Lando to once again be strong in qualifying, could edge it like he did against Carlos. But I expect Ricciardo to show his class in the race and out score him in points, podiums [-o< etc. I think Carlos will progress in the course of the season and be not too far of Charles. I love Fernando, so I want him to smash Ocon. :D
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

mwillems

Ground Effect wrote:
21 Jan 2021, 19:19
mwillems wrote:
21 Jan 2021, 19:08
diffuser wrote:

Sainz vs LeCerc.
Riccardo vs Norris

I personally tip Lando to once again be strong in qualifying, could edge it like he did against Carlos. But I expect Ricciardo to show his class in the race and out score him in points, podiums [-o< etc. I think Carlos will progress in the course of the season and be not too far of Charles. I love Fernando, so I want him to smash Ocon. :D
I just want Ocon to get smashed by everyone. I even wouldn't mind if Lance Stroll smashed him. :mrgreen:

diffuser

Yeah, I don't like making predictions blindly. No data to compare those guys and come to an educated guess on who will prevail. That's one of the most interesting parts about it. We'll be able to compare how they faired in 2020 to 2021 and really getting a good pecking order of drivers.

Ground Effect

haza wrote:
20 Jan 2021, 11:36

Just posted pretty sure that’s the PU on the left
So, apparently McLaren has deleted the tweet with the engine in the background. Phone call from Brixworth, or maybe even Stuttgart? :D
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?

_cerber1

It is a pity that no one has kept it ... :roll:

Big Tea

_cerber1 wrote:
22 Jan 2021, 15:25
It is a pity that no one has kept it ... :roll:
[url]
Nothing is ever 'removed' from the internet :evil:
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

lio007

Ground Effect wrote:
22 Jan 2021, 15:01
haza wrote:
20 Jan 2021, 11:36

Just posted pretty sure that’s the PU on the left
So, apparently McLaren has deleted the tweet with the engine in the background. Phone call from Brixworth, or maybe even Stuttgart? :D
This would really be a shame if it is the case.
All the secrecy and paranoia is sometimes a bit annoying. McLaren was a contrast to that trend which was nice to see.

_cerber1

Seidl, however, wants to keep the ball low. With Renault as its customer engine, McLaren already managed third place in the constructors’ standings in 2020. With Mercedes (according to experts, it brings an advantage of three to five tenths of a second, depending on the track), even more could be possible.

https://f1-insider.com/en/formula1/mcla ... -mercedes/

Ground Effect

_cerber1 wrote:
23 Jan 2021, 20:50
Seidl, however, wants to keep the ball low. With Renault as its customer engine, McLaren already managed third place in the constructors’ standings in 2020. With Mercedes (according to experts, it brings an advantage of three to five tenths of a second, depending on the track), even more could be possible.

https://f1-insider.com/en/formula1/mcla ... -mercedes/
I find this hard to believe, journalists just pull figures out of the air, depending on the mood.... The “According to experts” line has been so abused by these guys, which experts exactly?