Ferrari SF21 Speculation thread

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Ringleheim

Re: Ferrari SF21 Speculation thread

wowgr8 wrote:
08 Feb 2021, 13:08
Split turbo design rumoured for 2022;

Ferrari: revolutionary power unit for 2022!

For the ground-effect Red which is being designed in Maranello, they decided to bet on an engine with a separate turbo and compressor, following the direction dictated by Mercedes at the beginning of the hybrid era. The novelty is that the compressor could go into the intake box, resulting in the miniaturization of the upper part of the engine. A courageous solution, especially if the freezing of PUs is decided from next year.

ttps://it.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-ferrari-power-unit-rivoluzionaria-per-il-2022/

Interesting! That's putting a fair amount of weight into the highest part of the car, but they have obviously considered that and concluded it is the best option.

Let's hope the design is even more radical than the article reports, and that it works fantastically.

The 2022 car is not the time for status quo. They need to shoot for the moon and hope they hit it.

wowgr8

Ringleheim wrote:
08 Feb 2021, 23:35

Interesting! That's putting a fair amount of weight into the highest part of the car, but they have obviously considered that and concluded it is the best option.

Let's hope the design is even more radical than the article reports, and that it works fantastically.

The 2022 car is not the time for status quo. They need to shoot for the moon and hope they hit it.
Yup the article talks about that, not following but being the leader. I hope it works out for them, they should dump all the money that would've gone into the chassis this year into it and ensure its working well before 2022

I'm guessing this also means the Ferrari engine noise will change now? I like their engine sound with the loud whistle

RedNEO

wowgr8 wrote:
08 Feb 2021, 13:08
Split turbo design rumoured for 2022;

Ferrari: revolutionary power unit for 2022!

For the ground-effect Red which is being designed in Maranello, they decided to bet on an engine with a separate turbo and compressor, following the direction dictated by Mercedes at the beginning of the hybrid era. The novelty is that the compressor could go into the intake box, resulting in the miniaturization of the upper part of the engine. A courageous solution, especially if the freezing of PUs is decided from next year.

https://it.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-fe ... r-il-2022/
This article doesn’t seem to understand that Red Bull want to freeze the engine in 2021. If everyone gets an upgrade in 2022 there wouldn’t be as much fuss being made of a freeze by everyone. But if the rest of this is true and they want to introduce a new engine they will almost certainly not vote for a freeze along with Renault. That leaves it up to Mercedes and it’s teams who only want one if it means no BoP.

RedNEO

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/ferr ... n=widget-1

The English version quoting same author doesn’t even mention a freeze?

Has something changed or do neither of these authors realise they are about to vote on no-more upgrades from this season?

The only compromise I can see happening is they allow another upgrade in 2022 before a freeze and anyone outside 20bhp bracket can get help but that’s the only compromise I can see everyone accepting.

LM10

RedNEO wrote:
09 Feb 2021, 18:02

Has something changed or do neither of these authors realise they are about to vote on no-more upgrades from this season?

The only compromise I can see happening is they allow another upgrade in 2022 before a freeze and anyone outside 20bhp bracket can get help but that’s the only compromise I can see everyone accepting.
For all we know the engine freeze would kick in at the start of 2022 after homologation of the PUs for that season. Which means that this would not change Ferrari's idea of a new PU to be introduced as rumored in the article.

wowgr8

LM10 wrote:
09 Feb 2021, 19:01

For all we know the engine freeze would kick in at the start of 2022 after homologation of the PUs for that season. Which means that this would not change Ferrari's idea of a new PU to be introduced as rumored in the article.
Yes exactly, all the freeze proposals I've heard have said it would come into effect at the beginning of 2022, not that they're freezing the 2021 engine specs

RedNEO

LM10 wrote:
09 Feb 2021, 19:01
RedNEO wrote:
09 Feb 2021, 18:02

Literally a few articles before..
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/dome ... n=widget-6
Calls for an engine freeze have not met with universal approval, however, with Renault in particular not keen as it is scheduled to introduce a new power unit for the start of 2022.
Why would Red Bull be wanting a freeze before the start of 2022 if they were planning to upgrade there engine anyway? It’s clear the freeze was supposed to be about this years engine, Honda brought forward there 2022 engine for this year.

Schippke

... does engine talk/speculation for 2022 belong in the SF21 Speculation thread? :oops:

MtthsMlw

Ferrari got ears again
Source

wowgr8

MtthsMlw wrote:
12 Feb 2021, 17:48
Ferrari got ears again
https://i.imgur.com/6TjkPxi.png
Source
I like this a lot. I thought it was a dumb idea to get rid of the ears and pack the cooling into the sidepods which you're trying to shrink as much as possible, I think that change is what caused a lot of their reliability issues in 2019.

The ears look really small though, the airbox could definitely have been bigger, Mercedes or Red Bull style

stan_french

MtthsMlw wrote:
12 Feb 2021, 17:48
Ferrari got ears again
https://i.imgur.com/6TjkPxi.png
Source
Damn seems like a lot of people are going down the Central Cooling System path, slowly. I guess tho the aerodynamic benefits of having small sidepods and packing in as much as possible above outweighs the higher center of gravity. I guess also the fact that Renault, a very outspokenly pro CCS team, hasn't changed their airboxes or cooling philosophy across the past 3 years shows the system has some serious potential. It also seems like Mclaren follwed them down this path, and well, every other team (minus haas) seem to be going also down a larger inlet at the top, rather than in the sidepods.

FDD
FDD

smaller sidepods with "ears" back

wowgr8

FDD wrote:
13 Feb 2021, 16:38
smaller sidepods with "ears" back
https://www.formu1a.uno/wp-content/uplo ... sSF71H.jpg
The SF21 ears are so tiny I doubt they'll make a big difference in terms of sidepod size. The change is intended to help free up the radiator stacking in the sidepods for easier airflow/less drag and potentially smaller outlets at the rear of the car.

I do hope we somehow see slimmer sidepods even though I think they already did an outstanding job last year with how tight & slim they were

Ringleheim

It's hard to tell, but what little color we can see in the photo seems to be an improvement over what they have been doing the last few years.

f1316

You have to also consider that the pre 2020 cars also had the top inlet in the sidepods (ie there was an additional one above and behind the main sidepod inlet) so that also made a difference to the size and arrangement.

Maybe they’ll also go back to that? Interesting to see.