Ferrari SF21

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
FDD
FDD

Re: Ferrari SF21

Owen.C93 wrote:
17 Apr 2021, 12:43
FDD wrote:
17 Apr 2021, 12:36
Owen.C93 wrote:
17 Apr 2021, 01:05
Nice little addition to the edge of the diffuser. McLaren have something similar but they are fully connected to the other gurney extensions.

https://i.imgur.com/P980r3f.png

And an interesting skid block they have this year. Many other teams extend it all the way forward. It almost looks offset from the wooden section?

https://i.imgur.com/2b6yRBg.png
2018 Ferrari (many similarities with the today's underfloor, but different skid plate for sure)
https://www.racedepartment.com/attachme ... pg.292167/

2016 Example
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CnLe33SWIAA ... me=900x900
I do not understand:
1. And an interesting skid block they have this year. Many other teams extend it all the way forward. It almost looks offset from the wooden section.
Do you have any picture for comparation?

2. 2018 Ferrari (many similarities with the today's underfloor, but different skid plate for sure).
I compare the pictures and I can not find indicative differences in the skid plate (AFAIK that is the the wooden composite plate fitted beneath the central part of the floor). Can you point out differences, please?

Thank you
It's the metal inserts at the front. I've posted comparison pictures in the post.

The reason this area is interesting is because one of the keys to high rake is being able to run the front as low as possible while still passing the FIA wear limits. It just looked interesting that the titanium skid block doesn't extend all the way to the leading edge. And the black outline make it look like it isn't entirely flush.
Thank you, I understand your point now.

ryaan2904

wowgr8 wrote:
17 Apr 2021, 11:28
In 2019 it was somewhere in the middle because they tried to move towards Mercedes but in 2020 and 2021 it's high rake
No way its mid rake definitely
CFD Eyes of Sauron

Morteza

Nicolas Carpentiers wrote:A rare image of outer dampers, visible when steering rack removed (SF21). They work to smooth out motions of suspensions independently from each other. By absorbing bumps & bounces, they provide stability. Also visible heave damper, rockers, torsion bars.
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

JordanMugen

Are those F1-spec cable ties to hold the brake and clutch(?) fluid reservoirs! :shock:

I didn't expect to see such crude assembly methods for critical (non-cable) components on an F1 car, but if it does the job. 8)

PhillipM

Crude? It's compact and very light, what more do you need?
You'd be amazed what's held together with cable ties on race cars...

gordonthegun

JordanMugen wrote:
19 Apr 2021, 17:44
Are those F1-spec cable ties to hold the brake and clutch(?) fluid reservoirs! :shock:

I didn't expect to see such crude assembly methods for critical (non-cable) components on an F1 car, but if it does the job. 8)
It is not finished, there's a further protection in carbon fiber to install.

Something like this (from the SF1000):
https://www.f1technical.net/gallery/2020/bcn-feb26/093
Or this (from the SF71H):

marcush

JordanMugen wrote:
19 Apr 2021, 17:44

I don't see the problem here .Tyraps and ducttape are surprisingly effective ,serviceable and repeatable .
don't forget these cars are constantly built and rebuilt , it makes sense .

PhillipM

He's gonna have a heart attack when he finds out they cellotape the panels together.

raymondu999

Is the merc really that much slimmer? Especially considering the Ferrari is more of an RBR jellymould type sidepod and the Merc is more of an undercut
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

F1NAC

Angle really helps for Merc to look slimmer

aerofoilf1

Rear wing endplate comparison vs 2020

Nathanael F1

raymondu999 wrote:
22 Apr 2021, 04:59
Is the merc really that much slimmer? Especially considering the Ferrari is more of an RBR jellymould type sidepod and the Merc is more of an undercut
It’s really a bad angle to compare. A fair comparison would be a perfectly symmetrical top view.
Favorite Team: Scuderia Ferrari
Favorite Driver: Nico Hülkenberg

f1316

raymondu999 wrote:
22 Apr 2021, 04:59
Certainly the angle is contributing to this - look at the front wheels for an example of the different perspective.

Compensating for that with nothing but my eyes/perception, I wouldn’t say there’s a dramatic difference in slimness alone. From this angle, the Ferrari looks slimmer at the front (widest) part of the sidepod for example - although again, how much of that is the perspective/angle is hard to say. The Mercedes does still seem more vacuum formed - so it conforms to the contours of what’s underneath a lot more - but my reading is that the overall surface area would not be dramatically different if we had the same angle.

It might be interesting if we flipped this and used the half of the Mercedes that’s nearer to the camera and the half of the Ferrari that’s further away. It still wouldn’t be apples with apples but might alter one’s perception enough to be illustrative.