Red Bull RB16B

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
hollus

Re: Red Bull RB16B

Just a reminder, lap times and specially pace relative to other teams, in the team threads, please.
Some posts have been removed. As usual, check post #1 in EVERY car thread for guidelines.
Rivals, not enemies.

Bandit1216

MtthsMlw wrote:
06 May 2021, 15:30
Look at that view on the gearbox...
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E0tUGpYXIAE ... name=large
via @NicolasF1i

I wonder how the rear arb and spring/damper connect to that grey pieces. Looks more like a tool then the actual rods/levers
But just suppose it weren't hypothetical.

PlatinumZealot

PhillipM wrote:
06 May 2021, 20:43
You can't even see it from that angle, that's the bottom.
I checked to see if to was the bottom.
But those mountings.... And the pull rods were hanging the other way!
Which is why i couldnt identify thebgearbox first Confusing photo!
But yes correct. It's the bottom.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

aerofoilf1

bigblue

Red Bull's "bendy wing on the back of their car" according to Lewis,
“The Red Bulls are really fast on the straights. They have this bendy wing on the back of their car which they put on today and they gained at least three tenths from this wing. So they will be quicker down the straights than us, and it will be hard to keep them behind. But that doesn’t mean it will be impossible.”
If the magic wing gave them 0.3s per lap, then the car performance without it is pretty damn poor. File with Lewis's regular "my tyres are falling to bits, I'll try to make it to the end of the race somehow" comments ? ;-)

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/red- ... s/6506089/

e30ernest

bigblue wrote:
10 May 2021, 12:44
“The Red Bulls are really fast on the straights. They have this bendy wing on the back of their car which they put on today and they gained at least three tenths from this wing. So they will be quicker down the straights than us, and it will be hard to keep them behind. But that doesn’t mean it will be impossible.”
If the magic wing gave them 0.3s per lap, then the car performance without it is pretty damn poor. File with Lewis's regular "my tyres are falling to bits, I'll try to make it to the end of the race somehow" comments ? ;-)

I believe he was referring to the spoon wing?

Just_a_fan

e30ernest wrote:
10 May 2021, 13:01
bigblue wrote:

And he was correct. The RB16B was fast on the straights.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Juzh

Just_a_fan wrote:
10 May 2021, 13:51
e30ernest wrote:
bigblue wrote:

None faster than mercedes with barn door wing. In quali they were at best equal and in race it wasn't even close.

Just_a_fan

Juzh wrote:
10 May 2021, 14:54
Just_a_fan wrote:
10 May 2021, 13:51
e30ernest wrote:

None faster than mercedes with barn door wing. In quali they were at best equal and in race it wasn't even close.
The RB16B was able to stay ahead of the W12 even when the W12 had the DRS open - right up until Hamilton had a big tyre advantage at the end. So the RB16B was fast in a straight line.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

aerofoilf1

Flying JPS Lotus

Anyways... Anyone else think we'll see RBR will tweak their nose concept this weekend? The last time they ran in Monaco 2019 they changed their nose for the weekend removing the hole in their nosecone for a more conventional approach like Ferrari runs.
Last edited by Flying JPS Lotus on 19 May 2021, 06:45, edited 1 time in total.
"Looks like meat's back on the menu boys!"

#AeroUruk-Hai

Steven
Owner

Please share your opinion on how you think we should handle the wing flex posts here:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=29826

zibby43

Flying JPS Lotus wrote:
18 May 2021, 22:08
I love how the mods will come on and ask people to stop doing something and people will just completely ignore them and keep posting.

Anways... Anyone else think we'll see RBR will tweak their nose concept this weekend? The last time they ran in Monaco 2019 they changed their nose for the weekend removing the hole in their nosecone for a more conventional approach like Ferrari runs.
It's extremely difficult to do correlation work at a circuit like Monaco, so no, I think it's unlikely we'll see a change to such a sensitive are of the car at a race like Monaco.

Wouter

About Perez his car after the Barcelona race.

From The FIA Formula One Technical Delegate To The Stewards Document2 Date 18 May 2021 Time14:45 2021 MONACO

GRAND PRIX19 - 23 May 2021 Technical Delegate's Report
After the race car number 11 was randomly chosen among the top ten cars for more extensivephysical inspections.
Subject to these physical inspections were all components of the fuel system inside the fuel cell up tothe self-sealing breakaway connector,
including sensors and loom routing. All inspected components were found to be in compliance with the 2021 Formula One TechnicalRegulations.
The FIA Formula One Technical Delegate

Jo Bauer
The FIA Formula One Technical Delegate
The Power of Dreams!

i70q7m7ghw

With the way the rear wing pivots to reduce the angle of attack, I would say this provides a significant drag reduction down the straight. It probably also means they can effectively run a higher rear downforce setup than they normally would because the drag penalty is reduced, which means the benefit isn't just on the straights. That could be why Hamilton was suggesting the 3 tenths or whatever it was, it's not just the straight line speed gain, it's the gain from being able to run the higher downforce wing through the entire lap.