2021 French Grand Prix - Le Castellet, June 18 - 20

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Just_a_fan

Re: 2021 French Grand Prix - Le Castellet, June 18 - 20

langedweil wrote:
14 Jun 2021, 15:52
Just_a_fan wrote:
14 Jun 2021, 14:36
RZS10 wrote:
14 Jun 2021, 13:12

Btw the sprinklers should be controlled via fan vote just like that boost they have in Formula E.
I can see a million Dutch fans voting for sprinklers before Max approaches the pit lane entrance but after Lewis has gone by. :lol:
Wouldnt really work very often these days ..
Depends how it's gamed. Max goes towards the pits, Lewis is told "do the opposite to Max" and stays out. Then the vote comes in and the sprinklers come on as Max is in the pit entrance lane. Spends a few extra seconds changing strategy to wets whilst Lewis does the whole lap in the wet and on slicks. Result is a half lap lead to Max when he exits the pits, assuming Lewis even gets around the whole lap and back to the pits.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

FW17

Wasn't there talk of using a different turn 1-2 combination for last year after the 2019 season?

PlatinumZealot

Just_a_fan wrote:
RZS10 wrote:
14 Jun 2021, 13:12

Btw the sprinklers should be controlled via fan vote just like that boost they have in Formula E.
I can see a million Dutch fans voting for sprinklers before Max approaches the pit lane entrance but after Lewis has gone by. :lol:
The whole race should be sprinklered. Most boring track since Valencia.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

godlameroso

Nature may provide her own tinkle to spice things up. Looking like it may rain on race day, but it also looked like it was going to rain in 2018 and that never happened.
Saishū kōnā

Chuckjr

Is Red Bull getting the updated Honda engine for this race and what kind of power jump if any is expected?
Watching F1 since 1986.

godlameroso

Yes on the new engine, nothing in the power jump. More of the same, but it's more same-y for more time, if that makes sense. Just a few fixes and optimizations, which should in theory cause less issues.
Saishū kōnā

Chuckjr

Ok but if the power unit is optimized and more durable, does that not mean it can be turned up and therefore results in an increase in power be it top end or longer time per lap running full tilt? Maybe that’s just my assumptions getting ahead of me...
Watching F1 since 1986.

Sevach

Chuckjr wrote:
14 Jun 2021, 23:34
Ok but if the power unit is optimized and more durable, does that not mean it can be turned up and therefore results in an increase in power be it top end or longer time per lap running full tilt? Maybe that’s just my assumptions getting ahead of me...
Not in the way you are saying, you can't change maps from the start of qualifying onwards.
What the current rules allow is changing maps from one track to another, but the map you run in qualifying is the one you race with.

Potentially Honda can have a slightly more aggressive map i suppouse, kick a few more horses, but nothing is guaranteed.

langedweil

Just_a_fan wrote:
14 Jun 2021, 16:01
langedweil wrote:
14 Jun 2021, 15:52
Just_a_fan wrote:

Wouldnt really work very often these days ..
Depends how it's gamed. Max goes towards the pits, Lewis is told "do the opposite to Max" and stays out. Then the vote comes in and the sprinklers come on as Max is in the pit entrance lane. Spends a few extra seconds changing strategy to wets whilst Lewis does the whole lap in the wet and on slicks. Result is a half lap lead to Max when he exits the pits, assuming Lewis even gets around the whole lap and back to the pits.
Mkay ... that would work yes, but it will take the most hughest discord serverfarm that ever lived to coordinate such a timing :lol:
Then again, nothing seems impossible these days.

It's just such a blantantly dull track ..
HuggaWugga !

Just_a_fan

langedweil wrote:
15 Jun 2021, 06:01

Mkay ... that would work yes, but it will take the most hughest discord serverfarm that ever lived to coordinate such a timing :lol:
Then again, nothing seems impossible these days.

It's just such a blantantly dull track ..
I didn't say it was likely, just that it would be possible. And actually quite funny in a way - watch the votes come in as supporters of a given driver try to get the water turned on at the best moment for their man. Would certainly be a way to see how many people support each driver! :lol:

And yes, we are agreed about the track. Dull.

Just_a_fan

Sevach wrote:
15 Jun 2021, 00:47
Chuckjr wrote:
Not in the way you are saying, you can't change maps from the start of qualifying onwards.
What the current rules allow is changing maps from one track to another, but the map you run in qualifying is the one you race with.

Potentially Honda can have a slightly more aggressive map i suppouse, kick a few more horses, but nothing is guaranteed.
But you can use things like overtake buttons which give the full beans to the driver. One could see the overtake button being used to access the max-power map during qualifying, but then the car being driven on a slightly lower power, max-reliability map during the race. Indeed, I'd be amazed if the teams weren't doing something like this already.

Juzh

Just_a_fan wrote:
15 Jun 2021, 10:01
Sevach wrote:
Chuckjr wrote:

But you can use things like overtake buttons which give the full beans to the driver. One could see the overtake button being used to access the max-power map during qualifying, but then the car being driven on a slightly lower power, max-reliability map during the race. Indeed, I'd be amazed if the teams weren't doing something like this already.
They really shouldn't as it's against the rules, but this particular rules area is so complex nothing is completely out of the question.
I remember an interview from bahrain where red bull had to detune their engine midrace that they had to specifically tell the fia changing of engine modes was solely to safeguard reliability and it had a detrimental effect on performance. Otherwise I doubt fia would go along with it.

Just_a_fan

Juzh wrote:
15 Jun 2021, 10:46
Just_a_fan wrote:
15 Jun 2021, 10:01
Sevach wrote:

They really shouldn't as it's against the rules, but this particular rules area is so complex nothing is completely out of the question.
I remember an interview from bahrain where red bull had to detune their engine midrace that they had to specifically tell the fia changing of engine modes was solely to safeguard reliability and it had a detrimental effect on performance. Otherwise I doubt fia would go along with it.
As we have seen elsewhere, being "against the rules" is very difficult to define and police in many areas.

I could see a case where a single map was used but using the overtake button just lifted a soft rev limit, for example. That's one map, isn't it? Or not, depending on the particular interpretation.

dans79

What teams are doing during qualifying is all ERS related.

Maximum harvesting maximum deployment, and that's all legal under the current rules about a single map.
197 104 103 7

amr
amr

are the rules specifies a single map? or the same calibration? Because I can imagine having a single map and the output of it is multiplied by a driver selector, like multiply by x3 in qualy, x2 in the race, and x1 for fuel saving. The software could be design to have this specific logic