Ferrari SF21

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter does not belong here.
ryaan2904
ryaan2904
24
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:45 am

Re: Ferrari SF21

Post

codetower wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:17 pm
Question regarding the tyre degradation issues in the SF21: The team say they still haven't solved the issue, yet the car/tyres seem to be performing much better since France. Have the drivers made any significant changes to their driving styles to help with the tyres? If the team hasn't "fixed" the problem, they definitely have improved it quite a bit.
When did they say that? I think its mostly solved for hotter temperatures. Maybe not for colder tracks tho..

User avatar
codetower
2
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:47 pm

Re: Ferrari SF21

Post

ryaan2904 wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 6:07 pm
codetower wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:17 pm
Question regarding the tyre degradation issues in the SF21: The team say they still haven't solved the issue, yet the car/tyres seem to be performing much better since France. Have the drivers made any significant changes to their driving styles to help with the tyres? If the team hasn't "fixed" the problem, they definitely have improved it quite a bit.
When did they say that? I think its mostly solved for hotter temperatures. Maybe not for colder tracks tho..
There was a quote from Leclerc over at scuderiafans that the team has not yet solved the tyre issues from france despite the strong British finish.

https://scuderiafans.com/ferrari-have-n ... lverstone/

hape
hape
5
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:17 pm

Re: Ferrari SF21

Post

ryaan2904 wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 6:07 pm
codetower wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:17 pm
Question regarding the tyre degradation issues in the SF21: The team say they still haven't solved the issue, yet the car/tyres seem to be performing much better since France. Have the drivers made any significant changes to their driving styles to help with the tyres? If the team hasn't "fixed" the problem, they definitely have improved it quite a bit.
When did they say that? I think its mostly solved for hotter temperatures. Maybe not for colder tracks tho..
And we don’t know the influence that comes from the new rear tyres. Might be small difference but over race distance it can be substantial if it helps one team but is a disadvantage for the other.

ryaan2904
ryaan2904
24
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:45 am

Re: Ferrari SF21

Post

codetower wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 6:19 pm
ryaan2904 wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 6:07 pm
codetower wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:17 pm
Question regarding the tyre degradation issues in the SF21: The team say they still haven't solved the issue, yet the car/tyres seem to be performing much better since France. Have the drivers made any significant changes to their driving styles to help with the tyres? If the team hasn't "fixed" the problem, they definitely have improved it quite a bit.
When did they say that? I think its mostly solved for hotter temperatures. Maybe not for colder tracks tho..
There was a quote from Leclerc over at scuderiafans that the team has not yet solved the tyre issues from france despite the strong British finish.

https://scuderiafans.com/ferrari-have-n ... lverstone/
This is worrying :oops:

ryaan2904
ryaan2904
24
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:45 am

Re: Ferrari SF21

Post

hape wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:12 pm
ryaan2904 wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 6:07 pm
codetower wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:17 pm
Question regarding the tyre degradation issues in the SF21: The team say they still haven't solved the issue, yet the car/tyres seem to be performing much better since France. Have the drivers made any significant changes to their driving styles to help with the tyres? If the team hasn't "fixed" the problem, they definitely have improved it quite a bit.
When did they say that? I think its mostly solved for hotter temperatures. Maybe not for colder tracks tho..
And we don’t know the influence that comes from the new rear tyres. Might be small difference but over race distance it can be substantial if it helps one team but is a disadvantage for the other.
Yea i think they helped Ferrari out too. Lets see what happens in hungary, that'll be a confirmation.

f1316
f1316
135
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:36 pm

Re: Ferrari SF21

Post

ryaan2904 wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:27 am
codetower wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 6:19 pm
ryaan2904 wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 6:07 pm

When did they say that? I think its mostly solved for hotter temperatures. Maybe not for colder tracks tho..
There was a quote from Leclerc over at scuderiafans that the team has not yet solved the tyre issues from france despite the strong British finish.

https://scuderiafans.com/ferrari-have-n ... lverstone/
This is worrying :oops:
I’d say the opposite: if the performance can be as good as it was without having solved the issue, it’s great news to see that they expect a further step once they fully understand the issue.

FerrariF60
FerrariF60
0
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:15 am

Re: Ferrari SF21

Post

by the time they solve the issue.....seasons over....that's how fast ferrari gets on top of things

User avatar
codetower
2
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:47 pm

Re: Ferrari SF21

Post

FerrariF60 wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:13 am
by the time they solve the issue.....seasons over....that's how fast ferrari gets on top of things
Ha! Well, considering how they've gone from tearing up the tires and dropping hard out of the top 10, to a podium finish in about a month, I'd say they are pretty fast.

JPower
JPower
15
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:06 am

Re: Ferrari SF21

Post

Ferrari knows what the problem is ie front axle slip and the car not putting enough energy into its front tires. They just won't be able to do anything this season beyond minimizing its issues through setup.

User avatar
F1NAC
176
Joined: Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:35 pm
Location: CRO

Re: Ferrari SF21

Post

Wasn't there a mention of a issue with rim design which is homologated or something this season and cannot be changed?

hape
hape
5
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:17 pm

Re: Ferrari SF21

Post

F1NAC wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:14 pm
Wasn't there a mention of a issue with rim design which is homologated or something this season and cannot be changed?
Yes, was in an interview with Binotto. Apparently the rims can not be redesigned this year.

User avatar
godlameroso
515
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:27 pm
Location: Miami FL

Re: Ferrari SF21

Post

New rear tires are easier to keep in the window, this helps out at front because you can force a little bit more slip angle on the rear axle without roasting the tires. This helps if you have a little understeer at the front axle, but it changes driving style slightly. Nothing the drivers can't adapt to in a few laps.
Saishū kōnā

ryaan2904
ryaan2904
24
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:45 am

Re: Ferrari SF21

Post

godlameroso wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 3:15 pm
New rear tires are easier to keep in the window, this helps out at front because you can force a little bit more slip angle on the rear axle without roasting the tires. This helps if you have a little understeer at the front axle, but it changes driving style slightly. Nothing the drivers can't adapt to in a few laps.
Helps out leclerc anyways since he prefers oversteery cars

User avatar
godlameroso
515
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:27 pm
Location: Miami FL

Re: Ferrari SF21

Post

ryaan2904 wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:22 pm
godlameroso wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 3:15 pm
New rear tires are easier to keep in the window, this helps out at front because you can force a little bit more slip angle on the rear axle without roasting the tires. This helps if you have a little understeer at the front axle, but it changes driving style slightly. Nothing the drivers can't adapt to in a few laps.
Helps out leclerc anyways since he prefers oversteery cars
If it's like what I'm experiencing with a certain tire I'm using, it's that the relationship between throttle and rear axle rotation is a bit more "transparent". Like the older tire had more contact patch deflection so the peak grip loss was more sudden because it wasn't just slip it was the contact patch shrinking as well.

In other words the path that leads to total grip loss has fewer brush and cobwebs in the way, it's more defined, so to speak. So it lets you hang out the rear end just a little bit more, and this is especially useful in say turn 5 and 9 in Hungary.
Saishū kōnā

ryaan2904
ryaan2904
24
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:45 am

Re: Ferrari SF21

Post

godlameroso wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:29 pm
ryaan2904 wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:22 pm
godlameroso wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 3:15 pm
New rear tires are easier to keep in the window, this helps out at front because you can force a little bit more slip angle on the rear axle without roasting the tires. This helps if you have a little understeer at the front axle, but it changes driving style slightly. Nothing the drivers can't adapt to in a few laps.
Helps out leclerc anyways since he prefers oversteery cars
If it's like what I'm experiencing with a certain tire I'm using, it's that the relationship between throttle and rear axle rotation is a bit more "transparent". Like the older tire had more contact patch deflection so the peak grip loss was more sudden because it wasn't just slip it was the contact patch shrinking as well.

In other words the path that leads to total grip loss has fewer brush and cobwebs in the way, it's more defined, so to speak. So it lets you hang out the rear end just a little bit more, and this is especially useful in say turn 5 and 9 in Hungary.
Nice read =D>