Exhaust blown diffusers and FIA restrictions/ban

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
vinuneuro
vinuneuro

Re: McLaren MP4-26 Mercedes

Sauber and Ferrari are the only two holding out.

Traction

Re: Exhaust blown diffusers and FIA restrictions/ban

Does anyone else that this whole blown diffuser debacle was maneuvered to try boost the local winners chances of home ground victory and then reinstating the diffusers for the German GP hence giving advantage back to another local. Only in this case, Silverstone, it backfired a bit.... #-o
Generally I don't care about what people say. I have to be clear with myself. When everything goes well, people celebrate you, when you make mistakes people criticize you.
Sebastian Vettel

raymondu999

Looks like everyone has voted yes, actually
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

smellybeard
smellybeard

Traction wrote:Does anyone else that this whole blown diffuser debacle was maneuvered to try boost the local winners chances of home ground victory and then reinstating the diffusers for the German GP hence giving advantage back to another local. Only in this case, Silverstone, it backfired a bit.... #-o
I'm sure somebody does but I hardly think you could call the episode "engineered"; it's more like like a bout of self inflicted public flagellation.

Whiting and company need to make one decision and stick to their guns.

myurr
myurr

Pierce89 wrote:Mclaren ran a practice with 10% throttle and a practice with 50% throttle so what change did they go into quali without running? Oh and Mclaren never complained till they showed up and got slapped by Ferrari and a straight up beating from Red Bull. When they thought the rule change would bring them closer to Red Bull they liked it. Lastly Red Bull IS running different from how they thought they would. They didn't get their 50% cold blowing till Friday, while Mercedes had 10% hot blowing coming in to the weekend, if they ran 50% in quali, I highly doubt it hurt them.
McLaren ran practice with 10% off throttle but with fuelled overrun. This was agreed with the FIA over a week ago but revoked 20 mins before qualifying. That fuelled overrun is important to the Mercedes based teams to balance engine braking, and in particular KERS harvesting.

Red Bull used 10% off throttle cold blowing during final practice and carried this in to qualifying and the race - exactly what they thought they would be running last Thursday night. They didn't even ask for 50% cold blowing until the Friday, and this was revoked before final practice.

So nice try and muddying the waters, but you are factually incorrect.

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

I'm pretty sure they didn't revoke the 10% hot blowing.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

munudeges
munudeges

myurr wrote:McLaren ran practice with 10% off throttle but with fuelled overrun. This was agreed with the FIA over a week ago but revoked 20 mins before qualifying.
As I understand it Renault got a concession in response to Mercedes's over-run allowance which was then revoked. Mercedes were allowed to keep their over-run allowance.

myurr
myurr

munudeges wrote:
myurr wrote:McLaren ran practice with 10% off throttle but with fuelled overrun. This was agreed with the FIA over a week ago but revoked 20 mins before qualifying.
As I understand it Renault got a concession in response to Mercedes's over-run allowance which was then revoked. Mercedes were allowed to keep their over-run allowance.
That was what was agreed first thing in the morning but then there was another meeting with all the team principals and technical directors along with the FIA that agreed to revoke Mercedes concession. This was agreed 20 minutes before qualifying.

Richard
Richard

So .... looks like it is settled for the rest of the season.

FIA have confirmed that the only restriction will be the need for teams to use the same engine map in qualifying and the race.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/formula ... 157976.stm

Pierce89

myurr wrote:
munudeges wrote:
That was what was agreed first thing in the morning but then there was another meeting with all the team principals and technical directors along with the FIA that agreed to revoke Mercedes concession. This was agreed 20 minutes before qualifying.
I've not read this anywhere
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

Richard
Richard

The BBC item above explains it well, the end result that was used in quail and the race was:

- Merc got their concession because it was agreed in advance.

- Renault conceded that their concession wouldn't be allowed because it was last minute.

- Ferrari were ominously quiet. Does anyone know what they are doing on this issue?

Everyone agreed to call the whole thing off (the restrictions) in Germany. Anything goes, but parc ferme rules now apply.

Traction

Generally I don't care about what people say. I have to be clear with myself. When everything goes well, people celebrate you, when you make mistakes people criticize you.
Sebastian Vettel

jody391
jody391

That still doesn't explain why Ferrari were keeping quiet!?

Traction

jody391 wrote:That still doesn't explain why Ferrari were keeping quiet!?
I know, but it explains the thinking behind the FIA's decisions....
Sebastian Vettel

Pierce89

could somebody give me a link where it says that the Merc teams weren't allowed their 4 cylinder hot blowing for quali and only had 20 minutes to prepare for the change
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher