Exhaust blown diffusers and FIA restrictions/ban

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Tozza Mazza

Re: BAN on exhaust blowing from this weekend

Should shake up the field, and penalise Red Bull the most, due to their raked exhaust extended diffuser, although cars are on average on full throttle 70% of the time. HRT should make a stupid claim like engines are a moveable aerodynamic device, and let there car be powered by Hamsters in the wheels, with the FIA as ridiculous as it is at the moment, they'd probably win the case, and get a handy 43 points.

Just_a_fan

Rob01 wrote:The ECU measures the 10 percent.
Yes, but is it "driver + engine map = 10%" or "engine map = 10% and driver is free to do as he wishes"?

I hope it's the latter...
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

ecapox

Just_a_fan wrote: It wasn't against the rules. The FIA are saying that it is against the rules from now on
On what basis, that it is an aerodynamic moveable part? So this wasnt a moveable part in Australia? Or last year? Stupid.

thestig84

Just_a_fan wrote:
Rob01 wrote:The ECU measures the 10 percent.
Yes, but is it "driver + engine map = 10%" or "engine map = 10% and driver is free to do as he wishes"?

I hope it's the latter...
Yeah it will be the latter. I guess the driver might be able to claw a bit back. Will be interesting but I think it will effect all the top teams. How can anyone know if the redbull will loose most. Maybe it will loose speed but retain its balance, mclaren or ferrari could loose both!

Redbull and others run a lot less overrun % in the race and redbull still do pretty well!

HampusA

Tozza Mazza wrote:Should shake up the field, and penalise Red Bull the most, due to their raked exhaust extended diffuser, although cars are on average on full throttle 70% of the time. HRT should make a stupid claim like engines are a moveable aerodynamic device, and let there car be powered by Hamsters in the wheels, with the FIA as ridiculous as it is at the moment, they'd probably win the case, and get a handy 43 points.
Wish a team would file a complaint saying Whiting´s brain is a aerodynamic moveable device because it clearly has left the building..
The truth will come out...

BreezyRacer

Jezz, maybe they could have waited to announce it in P1??????????????? WTF are they thinking in giving teams such a last minute rules without any undercurrent of conversation, such as throwing the possibility out there for a race or two? The cars have likely left the factories already.

This is simply meant to ambush the bulls .. straight up. I guess if you cannot beat them change the rules .. So who is the team behind this push? Who knows for the moment but we should have a clearer picture when we see how the Mercedes cars qualify.

And just who is completely off the gas during braking anyways? Nobody drives like that anymore, blown diffuser or not ..
Last edited by BreezyRacer on 17 May 2011, 19:29, edited 1 time in total.

Rob01

I think it's genius and that this is more of an attempt to slow Red Bull. And it will change Red Bull more than any other team as the concept was perfected on it.

Thunder2

Do LRGP use that method to send gases under the car?
Because I understand that it is now ban to blow gases when the throttle is off, even if it's not sent into the diffuser...

fenix4life

Rob01 wrote:I think it's genius and that this is more of an attempt to slow Red Bull. And it will change Red Bull more than any other team as the concept was perfected on it.
We should not forget that 2 years ago the Red Bulls had the best car even without a Double Diffuser. Brawn had to 'cheat' with their double diffuser to be faster.

SO if they remove it fully I'm not sure if Red Bull would be so in trouble if they kept their advantage and design.

Mysticf1

Where is that Alonso quote about not considering F1 a sport when you need it

mass damper all over again

BreezyRacer

fenix4life wrote:
Rob01 wrote:I think it's genius and that this is more of an attempt to slow Red Bull. And it will change Red Bull more than any other team as the concept was perfected on it.
We should not forget that 2 years ago the Red Bulls had the best car even without a Double Diffuser. Brawn had to 'cheat' with their double diffuser to be faster.

SO if they remove it fully I'm not sure if Red Bull would be so in trouble if they kept their advantage and design.
Yes, I believe that if the teams have the proper time to respond RB would still be on top. That is why this is such a last minute change IMO. So which team is NOT invested in this technology and has tons of pull? Mercedes, that's who. I bet they never even built a Red Bull blown diffuser and campaigned for this change instead. So whom does Ross Brawn have dirt on in the FIA? Don't forget they sided with him in the double deck diffusers too ..

HampusA

fenix4life wrote:Brawn had to 'cheat' with their double diffuser to be faster
Do not forget though that Brawn issued a warning about this before the season. The teams were ignorant enough to not listen. Well some did anyway.

We haven´t heard a word from Newey though on how to really cheat tests.
The truth will come out...

Rob01

McLaren first to announce that Red Bull was using engine mapping for EBD. Ross may have also put his two cents in as he is one of the first to respond to the rule change. Red Bulls car was built around the concept including the rake of the car to further influence the downforce in conjunction with the EBD. They will suffer the most.

PlatinumZealot

I see it as "active aerodynamics." The driver is off the throttle and the ECU keeps the throttle open and fuel flowing according to some pre-set programming.

Come to think of it... yeah it is variable control aerodynamics.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

MrBlacky

Does this rule affect already the upcomging race?