European GP 2011 - Valencia

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
andrew
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland - WhiteBlue Country (not the region)

Re: European GP 2011 - Valencia

Formula None wrote:
andrew wrote:Scale?
2 palms : 0.5 Scots mile
I'll get onto it for Silverstone.

HampusA

Re: Euorpean GP 2011 - Valencia

andrew wrote:The offered alternatives take up far too much space IMHO and would make the opening post too long, but I guess some folk are never happy unless they have something to complain about? :wink:
Exaggerating way to much here. It´s not like we are on 256K lines anymore.
It´s just some friendly criticism on how we think it could look better. No need to get all defensive :)
The truth will come out...

andrew

HampusA wrote:
andrew wrote:The offered alternatives take up far too much space IMHO and would make the opening post too long, but I guess some folk are never happy unless they have something to complain about? :wink:
Exaggerating way to much here. It´s not like we are on 256K lines anymore.
It´s just some friendly criticism on how we think it could look better. No need to get all defensive :)
I'm not talking about 256K lines or anything like that. It is the space on the page I am meaning, the length of the post.

As for it being friendly, it all depends who it comes from I guess. There are ways to ask for something without looking like a moaner making a fuss over nothing. :wink:

i70q7m7ghw

In the middle of your mouse there is this wheel, if you roll it the page moves up and down. If you haven't got that then on your keyboard there are these two buttons 'Page Up' and 'Page Down'. These also allow you to move up and down a web page. Failing that at the bottom middle of your keyboard there is this big bar type key, slam down on that and you'll find the page will also rapidly scroll down.

We know how to scroll on web pages, so please stop preaching how your saving vertical space, we don't need it.

andrew

Diesel wrote:In the middle of your mouse there is this wheel, if you roll it the page moves up and down. If you haven't got that then on your keyboard there are these two buttons 'Page Up' and 'Page Down'. These also allow you to move up and down a web page. Failing that at the bottom middle of your keyboard there is this big bar type key, slam down on that and you'll find the page will also rapidly scroll down.

We know how to scroll on web pages, so please stop preaching how your saving vertical space, we don't need it.
I'm certainly not preaching but thanks for the IT lesson. :roll:

At the risk of getting repetitive I'll say for one last time, I fail to see the point of a post which will take up nearly a whole page when one that takes up just over half a page will do.

The opening posts in the race threads that I open are intended for to give a bit of basic information and a short recap of the previous years results to get the thread started, nothing more. Detailed discussion can then follow. I fail to see you issue with this.

HampusA

andrew wrote:I'm not talking about 256K lines or anything like that. It is the space on the page I am meaning, the length of the post.

As for it being friendly, it all depends who it comes from I guess. There are ways to ask for something without looking like a moaner making a fuss over nothing. :wink:
Ok i can understand that, but on the other hand, after page 2 i would assume nobody is on the first page anymore. I know i´m not, i watched that once and now it´s always the last page :)

Could you please next time get a nicer track layout? it´s Silverstone and they have built a new complex so we could celebrate it like that in a way ;)
The truth will come out...

i70q7m7ghw

Whole page is relative, not everyone runs the same screen resolution as you.

andrew

Diesel wrote:Whole page is relative, not everyone runs the same screen resolution as you.
Whole page is relevant only if it shows something worth while. Why say 1000 words when 500 will do? I like the race threads I have opened to have some sort of standardisation, nothing wrong with that. Plus it depends what is available at the time. The FIA site is sometimes slow to produce the circuit info so I gave up on them a while ago and found a reasonable alternative.

However, there is nothing stopping others from posting an alternative circuit graphic later in the thread once it is available, in fact this usually happens and no one makes an issue of it.
HampusA wrote:Could you please next time get a nicer track layout? it´s Silverstone and they have built a new complex so we could celebrate it like that in a way ;)
I'll see what I can find. Might see if I can find some good pics of the pit complex with its funky roof (do you know who the architect was - it's bound to be on their website). Will that fulfill the artistic requirements along with the scaled pen sketch I'm doing for Forumla None? I'm gonna be busy, I'm terrible at freehand sketches so the sketch of the track will take a while. :lol:

Shrieker

I see no reason why Vettel won't be winning here. Yet he's not included in the top 3 predictions on this thread so far.

Wishful thinking ? :)
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

andrew

I think you're right Shrieker. It'll be one last hurrah for the EBD before Silverstone so I think this will be Red Bull territory.

beelsebob

Shrieker wrote:I see no reason why Vettel won't be winning here. Yet he's not included in the top 3 predictions on this thread so far.

1) No real high downforce stuff (well, more than canada or monaco, but yeh)
2) It's where McLaren's next major upgrade package arrives.
3) Ferrari have been incredibly strong in mechanical grip circuits lately.

CyleB

beelsebob wrote:
Shrieker wrote:I see no reason why Vettel won't be winning here. Yet he's not included in the top 3 predictions on this thread so far.

i think it more so that they have been strong in the low down force circuits..... because they are lacking down force
Look mama I'm going fast- Ricky Bobby

beelsebob

CyleB wrote:
beelsebob wrote:

i think it more so that they have been strong in the low down force circuits..... because they are lacking down force
Simply lacking down force is not enough to win on a low downforce circuit. My Skoda Fabia lacked downforce relative to the ferrari, but it's not gonna beat it round Monza.

CyleB

Simply lacking down force is not enough to win on a low downforce circuit. My Skoda Fabia lacked downforce relative to the ferrari, but it's not gonna beat it round Monza.[/quote]

what i am saying is that they started with less down force so there for on low down force circuits they are still going to have less down force then a car with much more starting down force .... and why in the world would you even use that comparison
Look mama I'm going fast- Ricky Bobby

beelsebob

CyleB wrote:
Simply lacking down force is not enough to win on a low downforce circuit. My Skoda Fabia lacked downforce relative to the ferrari, but it's not gonna beat it round Monza.
what i am saying is that they started with less down force so there for on low down force circuits they are still going to have less down force then a car with much more starting down force .... and why in the world would you even use that comparison
Because it makes as much sense as yours – the point is that you don't beat people by being worse in some department. Yes, the Ferrari has less DF than the McL or RBR, but the McL and RBR can strip it off when they need to. To win, you need to have an advantage. The advantage Ferrari appear to have is some pretty awesome rear suspension design and hence mechanical grip.