European GP 2011 - Valencia

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
i70q7m7ghw

Re: European GP 2011 - Valencia

andrew wrote:
Diesel wrote:Whole page is relative, not everyone runs the same screen resolution as you.
Whole page is relevant only if it shows something worth while. Why say 1000 words when 500 will do? I like the race threads I have opened to have some sort of standardisation, nothing wrong with that. Plus it depends what is available at the time. The FIA site is sometimes slow to produce the circuit info so I gave up on them a while ago and found a reasonable alternative.

However, there is nothing stopping others from posting an alternative circuit graphic later in the thread once it is available, in fact this usually happens and no one makes an issue of it.
HampusA wrote:Could you please next time get a nicer track layout? it´s Silverstone and they have built a new complex so we could celebrate it like that in a way ;)
Ps- I said 'relative' not 'relavant' #-o

I'll see what I can find. Might see if I can find some good pics of the pit complex with its funky roof (do you know who the architect was - it's bound to be on their website). Will that fulfill the artistic requirements along with the scaled pen sketch I'm doing for Forumla None? I'm gonna be busy, I'm terrible at freehand sketches so the sketch of the track will take a while. :lol:
The whole point in having this stuff on the first post is so that people can flick back to it quickly and find this information. It's no good if the proper map ends up on page 2,3 or 4 and we end up having to hunt for it each time. Stop being so rigid and actually listen to the people that use these threads eh?

For the record, words of an unnamed mod:
Whiteblue used to do a better job but for some reason Andrew just decided to take that away from him without even asking or acknowledging that WB had been doing it for over a year.

Mandrake

Re: Euorpean GP 2011 - Valencia

HampusA wrote:Exaggerating way to much here. It´s not like we are on 256K lines anymore.
It´s just some friendly criticism on how we think it could look better. No need to get all defensive :)
Maybe not 256k anymore, but crappy 3G connections in the train. Takes ages to load all the images.....

andrew
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland - WhiteBlue Country (not the region)

Diesel wrote: The whole point in having this stuff on the first post is so that people can flick back to it quickly and find this information. It's no good if the proper map ends up on page 2,3 or 4 and we end up having to hunt for it each time. Stop being so rigid and actually listen to the people that use these threads eh?

For the record, words of an unnamed mod:
Whiteblue used to do a better job but for some reason Andrew just decided to take that away from him without even asking or acknowledging that WB had been doing it for over a year.
If someone has an issue, they know where I am. In my experiance the mods are not shy so I find your unnamed quote quite funny.

Anyway, the matter is past, I have taken on your demands and I will see what is available at the time of opening the next race thread. Is that ok?

HampusA

Ok with me anyway, :)
I´m expecting a very fly looking track layout next time with a bonus picture of the complex ;)
The truth will come out...

i70q7m7ghw

andrew wrote:Anyway, the matter is past, I have taken on your demands and I will see what is available at the time of opening the next race thread. Is that ok?
Muchas Gracias :D

raymondu999

I think double DRS should work, in principle, but maybe not consecutively? I think consecutive DRS zones would almost compound the advantage and make things too easy.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

i70q7m7ghw

I think the idea is to perhaps allow drivers a chance to get away after making an overtake, rather than see drivers constantly swapping positions.

HampusA

But the guy being overtaken gets the ability to use his in the second zone right?
So both of them will run the last zone with DRS enabled?

Or is there only one detection zone?

andrew
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland - WhiteBlue Country (not the region)

HampusA wrote:But the guy being overtaken gets the ability to use his in the second zone right?
Only if they are behind. This is my main annoyance with DRS, the driver ahead can't use it to defend and is basically a sitting duck.

ajdavison2

HampusA wrote:But the guy being overtaken gets the ability to use his in the second zone right?

I think there will only be one zone, in the build up to the Canadian GP, I think it was Brundle who said the system simply couldn't cope with two detection points and two activation points.

beelsebob

andrew wrote:
Only if they are behind. This is my main annoyance with DRS, the driver ahead can't use it to defend and is basically a sitting duck.
Not if there's only one detection zone. If you are behind at the detection zone, but ahead at either or both of the activation points, you get to use it.

beelsebob

ajdavison2 wrote:

I think there will only be one zone, in the build up to the Canadian GP, I think it was Brundle who said the system simply couldn't cope with two detection points and two activation points.
My understanding was that the system couldn't cope with the tiny gap between the two activation points – basically, they would have had to have the second detection zone in the chicane, and then the activation point would be too close for the latency of computing it and retransmitting back to the car that it was usable.

HampusA

I see thanks guys.

Btw, Andrew, i don´t know the name of the architect but the job was given to Populous.
EDIT: Apparently he´s called Drew Mcdonald
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LiPciwRd ... re=related

rfs

beelsebob wrote: 3) Ferrari have been incredibly strong in mechanical grip circuits lately.
Wasn't that because they didn't have to use Pirelli's harder tyres in Monaco and Canada?

godlameroso

Well maybe two activation zones was a little excessive for Canada as there is passing on that circuit without DRS, but on this one I think it's the right call.
Saishū kōnā