DTM 2012

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
Nando

Re: DTM 2012

This is great news!

Same with ACO and FIA merging regulations for their respective "GT3" categories.

Edit: woops new page, anyway, Super GT and DTM will share regulations.
"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."

skgoa

You know what, with ACO and FIA redoing their regulations as well, now would be the time for global GT regulations. That would result in all non-US manufacturers having a car that can compete in practically any sportscar event outside the US and Australia. (I'm assuming that V8 Supercars and NASCAR won't change their regulations so soon after introducing a new car and NASCAR/Grand-Am won't change to match other people's regulations.)

Ganxxta

There you go, BMW made it =D>

First year back, won everything :D

Poor Mercedes, failed here too :lol:

wunderkind

Ganxxta wrote:There you go, BMW made it =D>

First year back, won everything :D

Poor Mercedes, failed here too :lol:
Yes, it is most unfortunate for Mercedes-AMG that BMW manages to win at it's first season.

The fact is Mercedes' performance faltered in the middle of the season and squandered their massive points lead. The Mercedes C Coupe have had trouble making the tyres work.

Mercedes is looking more and more like the McLaren of DTM. A race-winning team, not a champion-winning team.

Seriously, Mercedes should stop bitching about how BMW poached some of their best people and decide whether they should continue racing in the DTM. The current management has failed to win a championship in the last three seasons. Forget fairness, forget sportsmanship. Just quit the DTM if you can't win.

Norbert Haug and Gerhard Ungar should both be fired if Mercedes does not win the championship in 2013. The car's performance dropped and the engineers failed to improve the situation. The current driver lineup of Mercedes is not what you'd call stunning. It's good that Coulthard and Susie Wolff are leaving. Schumacher should leave too and make way for some young talents. It's just a bad case of mismanagement.

Nando

Congratulations BMW!
Looks like a boss, drives like a boss.

BMW´s started to really come alive at the second stint of the season, poor Tomczyk though, he should be way higher up the list but has had massive bad luck for several races...

20 years absence and they come back and show Audi and Mercedes how it´s done, just brilliant.
"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."

carisi2k

ESPImperium wrote:The new DTM cars are also in line to be adopted by the Ausie V8 guys as well, and there has been talk of a new NASCAR-2 formula to replace the Nationwide Series that also has had talk of coming into the USA.

All this talk has also made the South American TC 2000 championship has also thought about coming into the same common regulations.

This has led to talk over a new common World TDM championship with 2 or 3 car teams ran by as many as 6 or 7 diffrent manufacturers, and a localised DTM chamionship as well. So in effect there would be 2 tiers to DTM;

World DTM Championship - 12-15 races on the F1 off weekend, supporting some F1 events in some places (Brazil, Canada, Japan, China and Austrailia for example)
DTM Euro Series - 8 races
NASCAR-2 America - Supporting NASCAR
DTM Asia - 8 to 10 races
TC 2000 South America - 8 races
V8 Supercars (Austrailia) - 26 to 30 races (They do 2 races a wekend typically)

Personaly i think this would lead to a really strong tin top series. Lets face it, there isnt a strong tin top series out side of America, and would really would enjoy watching a strong series regionally and internationally.

The FIA and ACO are trying to make a strong endurance championship now, and i welcome this, but watching about 8 to 10 endurance races every year could become tedious, Le Mans is fine for me, but i like watching the rest in about a 60 to 90 minuite programme. However a DTM series that had races that lasted 50 to 90 minuites once or twice a weekend (if there was a sprint and feature race format, sprint on the Saturday, Feature on the sunday) is something id think id like to watch.
The V8supercars will not be joining this combined dtm/supergt championship because they don't need to. The v8supercars cars cost a fraction of both of these series. A new car cost only A$500,000.00 to build. With all the carbon fibre in a DTM vehicle I'm going to assume that it is going to cost at least 10 times that to build. Maybe someone can provide figures that dispute this but they are extremely expensive vehicles that we can't afford in Australia.

The Australian series is the best in the world and if anything the DTM and Super GT should be coming towards the v8supercar championship when it comes to the specifications. Our series welcomes manufacturer support but doesn't require it. The racing this 2014 year has been amazing with the Volvo s60 proving extremely competitive and the Nissan just claimed a podium at the Bathurst 1000 and have been getting stronger as the year goes on. The Erebus Mercedes has had a victory and several high finishing places this year as well.

The V8supercars has several huge events throughout the year and shares the pit lane with the F1 boys at the Australian GP. The series is the closest touring car series in the world with qualifying separating 1st to 25th by less then a second at many tracks this year. They are also the most spectacular cars, especially at the street events in Adelaide, Gold coast and Sydney.

langwadt

carisi2k wrote:
ESPImperium wrote:The new DTM cars are also in line to be adopted by the Ausie V8 guys as well, and there has been talk of a new NASCAR-2 formula to replace the Nationwide Series that also has had talk of coming into the USA.

All this talk has also made the South American TC 2000 championship has also thought about coming into the same common regulations.

This has led to talk over a new common World TDM championship with 2 or 3 car teams ran by as many as 6 or 7 diffrent manufacturers, and a localised DTM chamionship as well. So in effect there would be 2 tiers to DTM;

World DTM Championship - 12-15 races on the F1 off weekend, supporting some F1 events in some places (Brazil, Canada, Japan, China and Austrailia for example)
DTM Asia - 8 to 10 races

Personaly i think this would lead to a really strong tin top series. Lets face it, there isnt a strong tin top series out side of America, and would really would enjoy watching a strong series regionally and internationally.

The FIA and ACO are trying to make a strong endurance championship now, and i welcome this, but watching about 8 to 10 endurance races every year could become tedious, Le Mans is fine for me, but i like watching the rest in about a 60 to 90 minuite programme. However a DTM series that had races that lasted 50 to 90 minuites once or twice a weekend (if there was a sprint and feature race format, sprint on the Saturday, Feature on the sunday) is something id think id like to watch.
The V8supercars will not be joining this combined dtm/supergt championship because they don't need to. The v8supercars cars cost a fraction of both of these series. A new car cost only A$500,000.00 to build. With all the carbon fibre in a DTM vehicle I'm going to assume that it is going to cost at least 10 times that to build. Maybe someone can provide figures that dispute this but they are extremely expensive vehicles that we can't afford in Australia.

The Australian series is the best in the world and if anything the DTM and Super GT should be coming towards the v8supercar championship when it comes to the specifications. Our series welcomes manufacturer support but doesn't require it. The racing this 2014 year has been amazing with the Volvo s60 proving extremely competitive and the Nissan just claimed a podium at the Bathurst 1000 and have been getting stronger as the year goes on. The Erebus Mercedes has had a victory and several high finishing places this year as well.

The V8supercars has several huge events throughout the year and shares the pit lane with the F1 boys at the Australian GP. The series is the closest touring car series in the world with qualifying separating 1st to 25th by less then a second at many tracks this year. They are also the most spectacular cars, especially at the street events in Adelaide, Gold coast and Sydney.
does look like those V8 land yachts provide some nice racing, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqjwunmNqyE

Pierce89

carisi2k wrote:

DTM Asia - 8 to 10 races

I know where some real easy dead chicks are, since you're obiously into necro stuff.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

carisi2k

I know how good the racing is. I was at Bathurst on the weekend. The amazing different engine notes between the old boy pushrod v8's of Holden and Ford and the new multi valve Merc, Nissan and Volvo engines is amazing. Eventually the slight aero issue might be sorted but considering that these cars don't have anywhere near the aero that the dtm cars have mean that they tend to have good mechanical grip and passing without the need for fake overtaking by using DRS.

J.A.W.

& the V8 Supercar Bathurst lap times - actually showed progressive improvement - for the 1st time in many years..
"Well, we knocked the bastard off!"

Ed Hilary on being 1st to top Mt Everest,
(& 1st to do a surface traverse across Antarctica,
in good Kiwi style - riding a Massey Ferguson farm
tractor - with a few extemporised mod's to hack the task).

timbo

OK, bumped this old thread as I didn't think my question warranted a new one.
So, in cockpit they have this H-shaped lever. I've seen from onboards they turn it. What it is?

rscsr

timbo wrote:OK, bumped this old thread as I didn't think my question warranted a new one.
So, in cockpit they have this H-shaped lever. I've seen from onboards they turn it. What is it?
Break Balance

timbo

rscsr wrote:
timbo wrote:OK, bumped this old thread as I didn't think my question warranted a new one.
So, in cockpit they have this H-shaped lever. I've seen from onboards they turn it. What is it?
Break Balance
Interesting. F1 drivers tweak it quite often (Schumacher was noted for tweaking it almost every corner), I've seen DTM drivers tweaking it quite seldom. Do they adjust it to compensate for something? Like fuel level? Where do they have tanks? Or tyre wear?