DTM 2012

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
HampusA

Re: DTM 2012

If you want racing similar to the golden years of DTM, check STCC.
We have go-cart tracks almost with elevations and are just stupid quick and seems like they are built for Touring Cars.
There´s alot of trading paint, crashes etc because of the tracks nature.
Very narrow but extremely fun and fast.

Right now we have a special guest by the name Gabriele Tarquini :)
The truth will come out...

Rennsport_helgi

Does anybody know if those new silhouettes have a production roof and A- and C-pillars? All cars look too wide in that area (not mention everything under the silhouette {hub} line).

HampusA

Not sure. I do know that there are more parts from the real car though then this and the years before.
The truth will come out...

raymondu999

FWIW a large part of the components making those cars up are now spec parts that are provided to the teams.

Does anyone know what would become of the downforce figures of the new DTM cars? Will they be quicker, or slower than the current cars? The new cars that is, not the dumbed-down pieces that the B teams run
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

matt21

As far as i know, the aerodynamic grip will be less in 2012, but the mechanical grip will improve due to wider tyres.

So I expect them to be a little faster than this year due to new design and more testing.

raymondu999

I thought it was only wider fronts
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

matt21

2011:
Front 260/660 R18
Rear 280/660 R18

2012:
Front 300/680 R18
Rear 320/710 R 18

raymondu999

Ah alright. Does anyone know where I can check dtm event times btw?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

matt21

Pierce89

raymondu999 wrote:FWIW a large part of the components making those cars up are now spec parts that are provided to the teams.

Does anyone know what would become of the downforce figures of the new DTM cars? Will they be quicker, or slower than the current cars? The new cars that is, not the dumbed-down pieces that the B teams run
The 1 year old DTM cars are competitive with new ones. It's just the 2 year old cars that are slow.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

Pierce89

raymondu999 wrote:He's repeatedly been linked with BMW's DTM movement. And many people say that he is. He even says he's interested in DTM.
I would love to see Ekky and Scheider back on top in the sport though - my two favorite DTM drivers. Ekky more so nowadays; though I'm starting to get a little bit of a soft spot for Mortara.

Do we know who is going to which car though? I know Priaulx is driving for BMW DTM; no?
+1 Mattias Ekstrom is probably my favorite non f1 driver. If he could just pull the consistency!!
On races where he's fast, he just drives off and leaves them(like the last race at Oschershleben)

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

raymondu999

Absolutely! In 37 racing laps he pulled out 42.167s of a lead! Absolute dominance. He was very dominant in Nurburgring too; and I thought he had the pace to challenge in Brands Hatch. I still think there were team orders to let Tomczyk through :P

I find that consistency point highly irritating. In DTM you never know who will be competitive/not. Timo Scheider and Mattias Ekkstrom are both double champs; and yet Scheider isn't really anywhere right now. Ekky maybe is going through a Webber-like phase where he's struggling to adapt to the new Hankooks; but seems to be over now. He's won 2 out of the last 3 races, and the other race he finished a close 2nd; only losing the lead by (IIRC) locking up and letting Tomczyk through.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Pierce89

raymondu999 wrote:Absolutely! In 37 racing laps he pulled out 42.167s of a lead! Absolute dominance. He was very dominant in Nurburgring too; and I thought he had the pace to challenge in Brands Hatch. I still think there were team orders to let Tomczyk through :P

I find that consistency point highly irritating. In DTM you never know who will be competitive/not. Timo Scheider and Mattias Ekkstrom are both double champs; and yet Scheider isn't really anywhere right now. Ekky maybe is going through a Webber-like phase where he's struggling to adapt to the new Hankooks; but seems to be over now. He's won 2 out of the last 3 races, and the other race he finished a close 2nd; only losing the lead by (IIRC) locking up and letting Tomczyk through.
Yes!! Ekky's the man. You are right about how irritating it can be the way the order swaps so much from track to track. I guess it's because the cars are so close on performance, that when a track doesn't suit you and you lose a couple tenths, that's eight positions. Regardless it's so awesome to see tin-tops gripping like a gp2 car.

Rennsport_helgi

I don't want to minimize Eki's efforts at that race (in fact he's one of those Audi drivers who are really quick in any type of cars) but there were no real competitors. Mortara was waiting to let half-demolished Tomczyk's car "pass for the championship". Under other circumstances of course it would be an amazing victory.

Back to topic. Since 2008 I really was waiting for Group 5 "reborn" but it seems to be that all hopes won't come true. New silhouettes, maybe, are good for close racing but they are too even, identical. There'll be the same works teams and no new entrants during the season. It's as stupid as F1 or GP2 are. Why somebody has no chance to buy a car and enter it only in suitable races? Not saying about "worlds fastest production based", "battle of manufacturers" etc. It would be thousand times better if it had BTCS (Belgian series) format.

raymondu999

Yes, but Tomczyk is no wet weather slouch; and arguably if it was for team orders they could also have held Ekstrom back. If you remembered the race in the A1 Ring earlier this year; Tomczyk pulled out a blinder in qualifying and he dominated the wet Brands Hatch. Furthermore; if Ei wasn't dominantly fast that weekend then Mortara wouldn't have to back down that far to give Tomczyk track position. While Mortara is undoubtedly my rookie of the year, he's still a rookie
失败者找理由,成功者找方法