Innovo 2012 F1 Car - Tozza Mazza and JordanGP

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
Steven
Owner

Re: Innovo 2012 F1 Car - Tozza Mazza and JordanGP

Small question though. Do you guys have rules regarding crash structures?
I mean there is the obvious rear crash structure, but the bodywork around your sidepod inlet is so narrow that I cannot see a possibility to fit any current side impact crash structure into that.

Thumbs up for the great work though!

MIKEY_!

What's the intake behind the airbox?

jordangp

It's for the condenser. It will revert back for China.

Tozza Mazza

I doubt the water blown diffuser would work in that set up.

One use which is could be used for is a seal right?

You could use the water to effectively create a wall between the tyre and floor/diffuser area, to reduce the magnitude of the effect of tyre squirt. I doubt it could be used in a way similar to the EBD. This used high velocity flow to extend these vortices if i remember correctly.

(Shelly's theory, image courtesy of DRCorsa in the diffuser profile thread).

I also doubt the 'double diffuser' would be effective at all. The air feeding it is most likely very turbulent and has a lower energy than the air in the main diffuser, unlike in the DDD's of 2009/2010. I also doubt your use of the starter motor hole is legal. Only one hole is allowed, I can see two, a big one (too big for the regulations) at the back of the diffuser, and the intake to this second deck. I'm skeptical on its legality and performance.

Car looks nice though.

CottrellGP
CottrellGP

Wrinsed :lol:
Dan Cottrell

Master Of Innovation!

jordangp

Of course the WBD is a concept, and no performance enhances are proven. But i don't think it would hinder performance.

As for the DDD, I understand that the original version, was in fact illegal due to 2 apertures. However the most recent one, just interacts with the rear impact structure as the diffuser roof for the top deck, so there isn't actually a hole. From looking at the floor separately, it just looks like there are 2 struts in the centre, similar to that of front wing pylons, and That itself, is not a hole.

As for where the airflow comes from, I don't think there's any dramatic difference in the energy of the flow. The central hole, is really no different to the 2009-2010 DDD's, and as for the floor tunnel intakes, other teams wouldn't feed them into the underside of their main diffuser, if there was no benefit, so feeding it onto a secondary deck, will also be beneficial.

MIKEY_!

What are the rough dimensions of your fuel tank?

ringo

water blown diffuser?
You will lose water pressure in your cooling system almost instantly once that water goes to atmosphere.

Not only that, latent heat is not permitted for cooling in the cooling system. The FIA could argue that flashing water into the diffuser is an act of cooling by latent heat.

Lets assume it does work, it would be better to have the water vapour coming in before the throat of the diffuser so it can condense as the pressure rises.
For Sure!!

jordangp

Our Water Blown Diffuser has now been banned for safety reasons.

However, we now have a new front wing for Shanghai.

Aussie
Aussie

We were all waiting for that to happen :lol:

jordangp

:lol: Even we were, but we had already planned ahead for it

Aussie
Aussie

So another super secret sneaky upgrade coming soon??

jordangp

We don't really have anything 'radical' planned until 2013, unfortunately. But we will still try and be aggressive with our upgrades, despite us not bringing any to Bahrain next weekend.

MIKEY_!

Wow 2013 already!!! So it's completely incompatible with your current design I assume. Or are you just really confident of winning sketch this year :lol:

astracrazy
astracrazy

sorry guys for asking (the answer may be on a previous page somewhere) but how does formula sketch work? In terms of practice results, quali and race. Who decides whos better then each other?