Innovo 2012 F1 Car - Tozza Mazza and JordanGP

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
jordangp

Re: Innovo 2012 F1 Car - Tozza Mazza and JordanGP

MIKEY_! wrote:Wow 2013 already!!! So it's completely incompatible with your current design I assume. Or are you just really confident of winning sketch this year :lol:
:lol: Yes, we start to think about it in April, and begin work during May. We are going to build a new car from scratch, with hopefully 0% carry over, but will be based on similar concepts. We are not confident of winning at all though, it's going to be a very tough year. F1Fighters are breathing down our neck in the constructors, and their driver; Adrian Sutil, is beating us in the Drivers Championship.
astracrazy wrote:sorry guys for asking (the answer may be on a previous page somewhere) but how does formula sketch work? In terms of practice results, quali and race. Who decides whos better then each other?
They use a simulator, which can simulate many aspects, including details such as tyre wear, safety car expectation, as well as driver stats, and how they compare to eachother. It's really good because you can see that some drivers excel in some cars, and fail in others. For example Christian Klien has always been one of the best drivers. Never finishing outside the top 3, however this year he has moved teams, and is currently running 9th, whereas his teammate is 3rd.

There are a group of people at the moment that have extreme knowledge that look over the CAD files, to rank them, and then the information they decide, goes into the database, which gets updated every race weekend. They don't have links to any of the teams, so should be fair, however this isn't the fairest way of doing it. The championship is currently working with some people to create our own CFD Plugin for Sketchup for 2013.

jordangp

Afraid there aren't too many updates for Bahrain, as I have exams all week :(

However we have got a new floor, and additional cooling.

You can see, a cooling intake in the sidepod entrance, as well as some big-ass cooling louvres, along the floor, directing to the floor tunnel, which of course leads to my DDD.

You will also notice, some new shark-tooth cutouts, similar to Pre-Season at the back, and a loss in the section of floor in front of the rear wheels.

EDIT: I will get some nice renders of the overall car shortly, to see how it looks in the real. All nice and smooth :)

MIKEY_!

Not sure about those exits along the floor. I think that dirty air will make your DDD less effective.

jordangp

MIKEY_! wrote:Not sure about those exits along the floor. I think that dirty air will make your DDD less effective.
Well it'll only be a temporary solution, to deal with the temperatures at Bahrain.

jordangp

Via @InnovoF1
Here's a first insight then. It's a bit unusual, but we don't think it'll pass crash tests... #FSketch http://pic.twitter.com/wkqaBWsy

MIKEY_!

I think it'll pass. The sauber nose and last years TR nose are pretty thin as well.

MemroableC
MemroableC

if it passes it has fantastic potential.

Anyone have a copy of the 2013 regulations? I cant find them online anywhere.

jordangp

MemroableC wrote:if it passes it has fantastic potential.

Anyone have a copy of the 2013 regulations? I cant find them online anywhere.
When I say 2013 regulations, I mean the Formula Sketch 2013 regulations. Weren't you in the FSTA meeting though? I saw your name come up in the chat.

MemroableC
MemroableC

I tried to be but the stream would only play for a second then stop and buffer for 4 seconds, not particularly watchable

jordangp

MemroableC wrote:I tried to be but the stream would only play for a second then stop and buffer for 4 seconds, not particularly watchable
Never heard anyone have that sort of issue before, but I guess it depends on your broadband and where you're from. Anyway, they're going to be sending out the official atarter pack with the regulations shortly.

FormulaSketch

MemroableC wrote:I tried to be but the stream would only play for a second then stop and buffer for 4 seconds, not particularly watchable
You will be able to re-watch the FSTA Meeting from Friday, on our Youtube channel in the coming days! :)
Follow Formula Sketch on Twitter!

Visit our website
2013 registration opening soon! #FS13!

MemroableC
MemroableC

FormulaSketch wrote:
You will be able to re-watch the FSTA Meeting from Friday, on our Youtube channel in the coming days! :)
Yay, thanks

astracrazy
astracrazy

have you got any tips for the engine cover and sidepods. I can't get the shape right and i can't make it smooth. I'm using google sketch up

jordangp

astracrazy wrote:have you got any tips for the engine cover and sidepods. I can't get the shape right and i can't make it smooth. I'm using google sketch up
For sidepods, the most important part is to make sure, it flows from the splitter along the bottom, to maximise airflow to the rear. Also try and make the whole car taper towards a point at the back. For example my bodywork tucks right in, flowing to the rear crash structure.

As for technique; make one face for your bodywork section, and then push pull it say every 50mm (the less distance you push/pull each section, the smoother it is). Then every time you push/pull the face, scale parts, and isolate different areas of the face and scale, to create different curves in different areas. To be honest, it's quite difficult for me to explain, but actually doing it is quite simple.

I would recommend not to use the follow-me tool (my arch-nemesis) and doing everything correctly and manually, using the push/pull tool.

Probably wasn't that helpful, but I don't know how to explain what I do very well, I just learn as I go, and then go back and redo sections with my re-learnt skills.

astracrazy
astracrazy

i know what you mean. Thanks

What height/depth (how thick) do you do the floor? 10mm?