Lotus E20 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
ESPImperium

Re: Lotus E20 Renault

Forza wrote:
James Allison wrote: Q: What’s the state of play with upgrades? Are there more to come?

JA: We are still experimenting with the latest evolution of our Coandă system. This delivers the same downforce as the one we introduced in Korea and used in the Abu Dhabi race, but does not sap as much power from the engine. We trialled this evolution in Abu Dhabi, but opted to go for the known quantity of the Korea-spec. Now we have the young driver test behind us, we are confident that this evolution will assist with around an extra six horsepower for the last two races of the season. We also have a little aero upgrade to the front wing too.

Q: How useful was the young driver test?

JA: We were able to evaluate three drivers and get different input for the car which is always useful, but primarily the test allowed us to calibrate our factory based tools we use to assess what is good and what is bad for developing the car. We were able to measure our simulations against reality by performing correlation tests at the track. The young driver test gave us a brilliant opportunity to catch up with the backlog of these correlation tests that have built up over the course of the year to make sure that the design direction we’ve taken from our factory-based tools is not leading us astray. This is valuable as we approach our final two races of the season, but also for design developments heading into next season too.
So Lotus focused on the correlation of tools. Id asume thats their wind tunnel, CFD and simulator now.

As i am led to belive that Lotus will be running 3 cars a session like McLaren now with the simulator running at all 5 sessions a GP weekend with Prost or Mortara at the wheel same way Turvey or Paffett do at Mclaren when a car is on track. I also belive that Red Bull are starting to follow a similar route as well with a driver at the wheel of their simulator, Williams started doing the same mid season with Klein at the wheel when their cars are on track. Im not sure if Ferrari do it, but id like to think they will have Rigon at the wheel most sessions in their simulator and i think that Heartley does the same for Mercedes as well,

Leaving Caterham, Marussia, HRT, Force India, Toro Rosso & Sauber all with out this tool. However Toro Rosso & Caterham will have this sorted soon as they are having a simulator built at both their factories, and HRT are going to have a Williams supplied and built one in the new year as well.

The other three could be left behind if they dont have a simulator soon as i think a Simulator doing the sessions in real time is a massive tool for the teams as it means they can check their simulations against real data and this will force a better development path on the team as a whole. I believe simulators could become more powerful than CFD in the next 5 to 10 years in F1.

PlatinumZealot

The don't need to run the full blown simulator during the sessions you know. Only in rare circumstances is it done. The aero setup is pretty much done, gearing pretty much decided before Friday. The tyre life prediction is decided on track. I think they only do live simulations (or simple programs?) for strategy during the race - and those are all AI run.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

stefan_

USA

Last edited by stefan_ on 15 Nov 2012, 17:18, edited 1 time in total.
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

Forza

US GP Wednesday

stefan_

via Justin Kircher (‏@jKirch_F1)

Justin Kircher (‏@jKirch_F1)

Last edited by stefan_ on 16 Nov 2012, 09:11, edited 1 time in total.
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

madly

stefan_ great photo with body of E20 and one sidepod!
Without rear it is clearly visible, how tight are sidepods and how big area is just a plain floor.

scarbs

Those two floor pics are from Justin Kircher (@jKirch_F1) Assoc. TV Producer for SPEED (F1 & GP2).

stefan_

Sorry, I added the credits now. For some reason I thought I did that in the first place.

I was not expecting to see that kind of pictures with floor/bodywork details. Or it is too late in the season for secrecy?

aleks_ader

Thurday

EDIT: Added...
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

Forza

F1 US GP - Friday Free practice

stefan_

Brazil:

korzeniow

stefan_ wrote:Brazil:
Top of teh engine cover: there is small removable part that seems to be made from diffrent materil. Why would that be? Higher temperatures maby?
It's been a long time since we drove last time, but it has also been a short time at the same time
Roam Grosjean ponders the passing of time on the first day of testing at Jerez
February 5, 2013

Matt Somers

korzeniow wrote:
stefan_ wrote:Brazil:
Top of teh engine cover: there is small removable part that seems to be made from diffrent materil. Why would that be? Higher temperatures maby?
It's the area in which DRD is normally placed, they simply haven't painted the cover that's in that picture.
Catch me on Twitter https://twitter.com/SomersF1 or the blog http://www.SomersF1.co.uk
I tweet tech images for Sutton Images

RB7ate9

Great car. Was a great stand-out whose results were augmented by Kimi, but hampered by Grosjean. Really excited to see the evolution of this car for 2013.

techF1LES

Source: F1 Sokuho