Mikey F1 - 2012 Innovations

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
MIKEY_!

Re: Mikey F1 - 2012 Innovations

raymondu999 wrote:Yes body roll is relatively insignificant when cornering. Mikey I think your picture is rather showing a kerb strike; like when the cars monster Singapore Turn 10 and Turn 14/15 Catalunya
I know i was just looking for a pic to demonstrate the point.

MIKEY_!

Thought I'd get this topic going again:
I know part of this idea will work. The exhaust blown radiator uses the exhaust gases to suck air though the radiators. However I want to blow the floor through the same place it is now but using hot radiator air. It'll be less effective than the EBD of course but better than nothing. What I don't know is, will the exhaust blown bit (exit B though the sidepods) reduce the flow/pressure to the floor exit (exit B)
Red = exhaust, orange = radiator air.

Holm86

MIKEY_! wrote:Thought I'd get this topic going again:
I know part of this idea will work. The exhaust blown radiator uses the exhaust gases to suck air though the radiators. However I want to blow the floor through the same place it is now but using hot radiator air. It'll be less effective than the EBD of course but better than nothing. What I don't know is, will the exhaust blown bit (exit B though the sidepods) reduce the flow/pressure to the floor exit (exit B)
Red = exhaust, orange = radiator air.
Its only allowed to have 1 exit. So this cant be legal...

MIKEY_!

The exhaust??? The exhaust can't exit in more than one place with this so I didn't think it mattered, anyway ringo (i think) found a way round that.

Holm86

Sorry i need to open my eyes :)

Thought it was the orange that was the exhaust ....

MIKEY_!

lol!

godlameroso

The way the sidepod areas converge can create a build up of pressure on that part of the chassis, the Ferrari already makes use of this, although they still have the outlet shape to work on. There are many questions to be asked: do you blow the beam wing, or the top of the diffuser? Is it a combination of both? Will the temperature and pressure be enough to warrant ducting to blow the diffuser? How will it affect the trailing wake of the car? If teams find out ways to claw back more downforce from the rear of the car will the rear wing play such a pivotal role?
Saishū kōnā

Pierce89

raymondu999 wrote:I agree with volarchico. Hence why this year the teams have been experimenting with all the gurney tabs they're attaching onto the diffuser too.
No the beam wing's current position doesn't help much with a 2011 diffuser,a little yes, but it's much further from diffuser exit than it was with the DDDs. This year, the beam wing is more a a wing in it's own right, that's the reason teams this year made sure to feed the underside of the beam wing. Last year, when it was more for diffusor extraction teams were much less concerned with getting flow to the underside, in fact last year Ferrari, and Mclaren udes the beam wing almost as an oversized gurney for the DDD's large top exits.

An example of how when it was used as an extractor the beam wing didn't need the underside exposed like this year when it wing in it's own right:2010

Old picture from start of season but it shows the difference in how the beam wing is treated:2011

“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

raymondu999

I see your point. Yes, they were much more clearly used as extraction augmenters last year
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

ringo

I think the renault r31 has taught a lot in terms of what is possible for the exhaust.
Not talking about the exhuast location, talking about the method of creating downforce.

If one notices, renault nozzle their exhuast which increases the speed of the exhuast by a factor.
Then a winglet, no longer than 7 inches, is blown by this high speed flow.

This 7 inch wing effectively behaves as if it were 9 times bigger depending on the exhaust speed.

This is a very valuable observation.

This means that teams can try to nozzle the exhuast and blow the monkey seat or any aero shaped appendage in that middle 150mm of the car.
No need to blow a whole wing when all is needed is to blow a little winglet at near sonic speed.

I don't know the regs as yet in terms of exhuasts, but i think nozzling is the only freedom the teams have.
For Sure!!

raymondu999

Ringo - you're talking of the R31 engine cover exhaust that exits in a flat line above the diffuser I presume?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

MIKEY_!

So would the exhaust accelerating the cooling air through the upper exit decrease pressure at the lower exit?

ringo

It would kinda work.
It would be more effective at speed where flow restriction is more critical.
For Sure!!

atanatizante

With so many tech gurus around here how about these:

1. Tear drop shape radiators
2. Sharply pointed (movable) cone air inlets like SR-71B
3. A passive fan (like wind mill) placed in to the air intake for air box/radiator
4. A carbon fiber triangle deck which unite/bond the upper side of the nose with the air attack panel of the sidepod (like a delta wing)
5. An “opened” or perimeter delta wing in order to unite/bond the air box intake and the rear wing endplates
6. Double/triple/... decker above the floor, placed in a cascade manner; same thing above the nose or FW
7. Rectangular air box intake, like a horn speaker (http://www.inta-audio.com/pa-live-sound ... -15w-p1916)
This one has 3 roles:
a.to concentrate and accelerate the air speed hence increase the air pressure for the engine
b.to accelerate the air speed towards the rear wing with the help of the upper deck
c.to create DF with the front slope
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

MIKEY_!

Could you explain 1 in more detail for me?
2 is more for supersonic flow management than subsonic flows.
Not sure what the benefit of 3 would be.
4 would sit outside the nose box so i suspect it's illegal.
5 would be illegal under the same rules that banned shark fins.
6 would have trouble getting around the radius rules etc that banned winglets (i think)
Skeptical about 7 but but I'll let someone with more knowledge than me take this one.