Mikey F1 - 2012 Innovations

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
Holm86

Re: Mikey F1 - 2012 Innovations

The cones in the intake of the SR-71s engine is only to direct sonic shockwaves away from the engine. I dont think that will ever be necessary in formula 1.

atanatizante

MIKEY_! wrote:Could you explain 1 in more detail for me?
2 is more for supersonic flow management than subsonic flows.
Not sure what the benefit of 3 would be.
4 would sit outside the nose box so i suspect it's illegal.
5 would be illegal under the same rules that banned shark fins.
6 would have trouble getting around the radius rules etc that banned winglets (i think)
Skeptical about 7 but but I'll let someone with more knowledge than me take this one.
First of all thanx for your effort of reading MIKEY!

1. A radiator usually has a rectangular and flat shape. Imagine a 3D tear drop shape radiator how could it be ... the benefits would be a higher heat transfer and a smaller volume needed hence a smaller air intake opening ... now regarding a higher heat transfer there are many other fluids (salty fluids, in general) that could get a better heat transfer rather then simple water :D
3. This fan has a role in accelerating the air flow in this area hence a better and therefore quicker heat transfer. You could build a smaller radiator ...
7. It could be interesting isn`t it? :D
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

ArchAngel

This is an ignorant question from a newb & non-engineer, so please be gentle. :oops:

Would it make any sense to 'collect' air at speed (via sidepods, intake, etc.) and store it in a compressor, then release that pressurized air via +/- G sensors/valves to either stall the front/rear wings in straights or blow the diffuser in turns/corners? Would the air pressures involved (during 'collection' &/or blowing) be enough to produce measurable gains? Or would the consequences of the engineering required prove to be too disadvantageous, thereby completely negating any possible miniscule gains in downforce/straightline speed?

godlameroso

Not practical at all, as air does not compress well at less than 200mph. I think it's more important how teams arrange the space of their monocoques than to venture into any radical design direction. As the air passing through the chassis itself has a sizable influence on downforce, that and a lot of the aero appendages are already very well developed, or pretty much spec, so it would really be the only place teams can get creative.
Saishū kōnā

MIKEY_!

The 3d teardrop idea is an interesting one, I think that the thickness of it will mean that the rearmost parts of the radiator do not get sufficient air flow to be effective.
The windmill is illegal (moveable aerodynamic device) but I think you should check out the topic on cooling fans in F1. I think the general consensus was that they would actually reduce cooling at high speed. (sounds strange I know)

atanatizante

MIKEY_! wrote:The 3d teardrop idea is an interesting one, I think that the thickness of it will mean that the rearmost parts of the radiator do not get sufficient air flow to be effective.
The windmill is illegal (moveable aerodynamic device) but I think you should check out the topic on cooling fans in F1. I think the general consensus was that they would actually reduce cooling at high speed. (sounds strange I know)
MIKEY, if you would see next year one of your ideas on a F1 car what could you do?
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

MIKEY_!

Laugh. And then fill this site with bragging. And the laugh again. And maybe demand to see the original dated team documents to prove I had the idea first. Does intellectual property extend to sites like this? :lol:

godlameroso

Us Fans are in a tricky place, the only ones that can benefit from ideas bouncing around here are the teams. I'm sure a concept or two have been taken from here but that's just it, all these ideas are pretty much useless to us armchair enthusiasts, unless we work in fields where the concepts apply. Even then your at the mercy of the people that own the capital, and are putting up the funds for your research. In a way we have it better as there is no pressure to perform, F1 teams are under incredible cortisol inducing stress, to perform at all times. So while we don't gain or lose much, aside from becoming slightly more educated when things are discussed in a civilized way, f1 teams have different demands, so it makes sense to be secretive especially if your aim is to maximize your advantage.
Saishū kōnā

MIKEY_!

Having red scarb's article on the new regs, I'd say this system is illegal. Any thoughts?

MIKEY_!

What do the teams package into here?

Tozza Mazza

MIKEY_! wrote:Image

What do the teams package into here?
Legs and ballast.

wesley123
wesley123

I am sur ethe legs dont go there, not even a little bit. This is a bit of empty space I believe, most teams house balast here, some a device to cheat the tests and Williams houses their KERS batteries here
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

MIKEY_!

Thanks guys. Could they move some suspension components down there? I guess it would mean some long and complex connectors and probably not a massive improvement in CoG. I'm not a suspension guy. Is this a viable option?

wesley123
wesley123

I cannot even see how you are even able to operate the dampers when placing them there
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

MIKEY_!

Like i said I'm not a suspension guy... :(