Sauber C31 Ferrari

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Giblet

Re: Sauber C31 Ferrari

allstaruk08 wrote:go look at the pictures of the C30 in brazil it had a flat bottom to the airbox, Byronrhys picture is of the seat fitting for the C30 they were showing you that the airbox is the same shape as they used last season. the other picture im pretty sure its the C31 the whole shape is different
When you repaint a carbon car, you paint over the old paint. I doubt they would be able to strip a car down to the raw carbon like that. Its too porous.

That is raw, and unfinished carbon. There are obvious parts that need sanding.

Also, why would Perez be doing a seat fitting in the old car? The new car will be a different shape and need a new seat, and if not, then he can use the same seat as last year.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

allstaruk08

what are you on about? i said the picture with perez with the helmet on is the C31 and the picture without the helmet is the C30 look at the different shaped bottom to the air intakes

Crucial_Xtreme

Yes it's confirmed the new Sauber has the same nose as Caterham. Livery is white, overall impression is dark with red.

http://formula-one.speedtv.com/article/ ... nose-bump/

jordangp

Same colour scheme, but apparently a slightly different design. Nothing too interesting then, by the sounds of it.

Cuky

I have to agree with that. Those white Saubers are kinda boring. I have very much liked blue color on Sauber cars before BMW bought them

jordangp

I did like the Red Bull era Sauber liveries. My facourite was the C24, after Red Bull, but before BMW came along and gave us that boring white and blue. Things never really improved much since then...

Crucial_Xtreme

jordangp wrote:Same colour scheme, but apparently a slightly different design. Nothing too interesting then, by the sounds of it.
Yeah that's what it sounds like. I agree with the C24. What obviously will be the most interesting is if they can surpass SFI and compete with Merc. Sergio could possibly be up for the Scuderia seat in 13. What an interesting season we have coming up.

jordangp

Yeah the shape of the C24 really went with the livery. Not sure on Sauber next year, don't think they'll come up with anything too innovative, but I guess we'll see. Hard to judge which teams will be better than others, when only 1 car is released :lol:

Gridlock

"In short, it is different (compared to 2011). I remain a friend of the color white, although often on television some cars cannot be well distinguished."
In other words, it is much less white than last year, and probably more grey/red highlights like the team wear, because he was getting annoyed with the other team running white cars... So HRT good for something at least =D>

scuderiafan

I like the white Sauber liveries. I think Sauber has identified themselves with the white livery, and Mr. Sauber has even said he quite likes it.
"You're so angry that you throw your gloves down, and the worst part is; you have to pick them up again." - Steve Matchett

Patiently waiting...

aleks_ader

Beacuse the Sauber are the team with more limitted financial and stuff resources. Is cheap reliable approach just one of logicaly moves. So in that context goes rumours about ugly nose. This nose is small compromise for design team. They keep the whole monoqock almost untoucht... They make minimum design changes, save money and time... And most importanly they like Caterham team focus more in detail in onother areas of the race car...
“Yes, for reasons of aerodynamics, this step in the nose is almost inevitable,” admitted Peter Sauber, a week before the Hinwil-built C31 is revealed.
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

Coefficient

Giblet wrote:
allstaruk08 wrote:go look at the pictures of the C30 in brazil it had a flat bottom to the airbox, Byronrhys picture is of the seat fitting for the C30 they were showing you that the airbox is the same shape as they used last season. the other picture im pretty sure its the C31 the whole shape is different
When you repaint a carbon car, you paint over the old paint. I doubt they would be able to strip a car down to the raw carbon like that. Its too porous.

That is raw, and unfinished carbon. There are obvious parts that need sanding.

Also, why would Perez be doing a seat fitting in the old car? The new car will be a different shape and need a new seat, and if not, then he can use the same seat as last year.

Paint over the old paint? What century are you from. The paint weighs around 2 to 3 kilos, they have to strip it off before repainting. It has a huge effect on the cars weight which is why teams leave as many surfaces as possible unpainted.

Many teams have an old tub for seat fitting. The basic geometry of a drivers preferred position is designed into a car and the measurements are taken by putting the driver in an old tub, moving the pedal box around and padding the seat area out until the driver is happy.
"I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it".

Raptor22

paint stripping a carbon tub is nearly impossible. the tub is merely touched up through its usefull life.

shelly

But Sauber has expertise in that since repaintin ferrari f2003ga for 2004! (just a joke)
twitter: @armchair_aero

Raptor22

but it took them 3.5 months to complete the job using student labour :)