Mikey's 2012 F1 concept

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
MIKEY_!

Re: Mikey's 2012 F1 concept

RicME85 wrote:To me the exhaust/rear of the sidepod seems a long way from the rear of the car, even the rear wheel center line
the exhaust is about the same distance from the rear wheel centre as the launch spec mclaren, its a bit higher but i plan to lower it when i get the chance.

thanks guys, feedback is always much appreciated :)

RicME85

Maybe its just the angle of the pic :wink:

MIKEY_!

Updated front of the floor, the old one was illegal and this one is better anyway, enjoy!

N12ck

MIKEY_! wrote:Updated front of the floor, the old one was illegal and this one is better anyway, enjoy!
Great work, I love the entry of the side pods
Budding F1 Engineer

MIKEY_!

thanks mate

N12ck

Are the slots above the intakes extra intakes or cooling outlets?
Budding F1 Engineer

RicME85

Look like extra cooling slots for some other internals to me.
I too like the intakes :)

MIKEY_!

N12ck wrote:Are the slots above the intakes extra intakes or cooling outlets?
Extra intakes, there's a picture from earlier where you can see the profile better.

N12ck

MIKEY_! wrote:
N12ck wrote:Are the slots above the intakes extra intakes or cooling outlets?
Extra intakes, there's a picture from earlier where you can see the profile better.
I wonder if this concept could be took to the limit... hmmm
Budding F1 Engineer

MIKEY_!

What have you in mind? The intake can't be moved back any further and going forward is tricky as the crash structure gets in the way. It could be extended outwards a bit and down the side of the sidepod but not by much.

N12ck

MIKEY_! wrote:What have you in mind? The intake can't be moved back any further and going forward is tricky as the crash structure gets in the way. It could be extended outwards a bit and down the side of the sidepod but not by much.
That is exactley what I had in mind, I wonder if you could do that and reduce the large intake size slightly hmmm
Budding F1 Engineer

wesley123
wesley123

I dont see why you'd want such an intake, can one expalin to me why you'd want a slit there that grabs flow on top of the surface that has importance of keeping the flow attached to the top surface and indirectly be of high importance to the coandra exhausts. Having a slit there would imo be counter productive and actually be worse than just having a slightly larger intake
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

N12ck

wesley123 wrote:I dont see why you'd want such an intake, can one expalin to me why you'd want a slit there that grabs flow on top of the surface that has importance of keeping the flow attached to the top surface and indirectly be of high importance to the coandra exhausts. Having a slit there would imo be counter productive and actually be worse than just having a slightly larger intake
It would be the same reason why you have the idea of moving sidepods further back (see ferrari F2012 rumors)
Budding F1 Engineer

wesley123
wesley123

Are we talking about the remote crash structure thing here at the start of the year?

If so, that solution is incredibly different, since first of all it is a wing shaped profile much like saubers that will guide the air over the side pod profile, keeping the flow attached, not grabbing airflow and sending it inside the sidepod.

The solution might be useful, but not in this position, it might be useful to use such a slit/system to reduce duct drag by shedding off the boundary layer, but that's about it
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

N12ck

wesley123 wrote:Are we talking about the remote crash structure thing here at the start of the year?

If so, that solution is incredibly different, since first of all it is a wing shaped profile much like saubers that will guide the air over the side pod profile, keeping the flow attached, not grabbing airflow and sending it inside the sidepod.

The solution might be useful, but not in this position, it might be useful to use such a slit/system to reduce duct drag by shedding off the boundary layer, but that's about it
It would restart the boundary layer, which is the idea, which is the same reasons you want sidepods further back so the boundary layer is smaller.
Budding F1 Engineer