Force India VJM05

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter does not belong here.
beelsebob
beelsebob
85
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:49 pm
Location: Cupertino, California

Re: Force India VJM05

Post

I hearby name this the Force India Hammerhead Eagle i-Thrust.

That's some serious side pod under cut going on there though!
Last edited by beelsebob on Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Holm86
232
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:37 am
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark

Re: Force India VJM05

Post

Those are som seriously small sidepod intakes aint it???

sesku
sesku
0
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:14 pm
Location: Earth

Re: Force India VJM05

Post

look OK compared to Ferrari. Cannot compared to Caterham because we only see render version of CT01.
This letter is computer-generated ; no signature is required.

User avatar
Gridlock
30
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:14 am

Re: Force India VJM05

Post

CMSMJ1 wrote:Jesus..these cars are terrible.

Hope to see some nosecone redesign soon..
Speaking from a purely statistics/probability point of view, the car most likely to get one is the McLaren.... :cry:

I can't wait to see whIch way Newey's team have gone.
#58

User avatar
pluisje
0
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:01 am
Location: The Netherlands

Re: Force India VJM05

Post

What is that thing on the nose? Looks like a camera, but the teams can't be happy with that? It's quite in the way, and blocks the sensorhole normally in the tip of the nose.

It could be a passengerseat, or it's a hint that the VJM05 is very unreliable and it's a handle for the towing line:P

beelsebob
beelsebob
85
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:49 pm
Location: Cupertino, California

Re: Force India VJM05

Post

pluisje wrote:What is that thing on the nose? Looks like a camera, but the teams can't be happy with that? It's quite in the way, and blocks the sensorhole normally in the tip of the nose.

It could be a passengerseat, or it's a hint that the VJM05 is very unreliable and it's a handle for the towing line:P
Yes it is the mandated camera mount. Probably just the most efficient way of integrating it.

Tyler
Tyler
0
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:50 pm

Re: Force India VJM05

Post

Gridlock wrote:
CMSMJ1 wrote:Jesus..these cars are terrible.

Hope to see some nosecone redesign soon..
Speaking from a purely statistics/probability point of view, the car most likely to get one is the McLaren.... :cry:

I can't wait to see whIch way Newey's team have gone.
McLaren have had one of the lowest noses in the field for the past 2 seasons.
Their 2011 nose was almost low enough to be legal under the current regulations and they had the 2nd quickest car, the only car better than theirs with a higher nose was the Red Bull so it's doubtful McLaren have made some sort of misjudgement with their nose this year. I don't think changing to a stepped nose would benefit them now because of the way the suspension is mounted.

User avatar
Vasco
0
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2004 9:05 pm
Location: Johannesburg, South Africa

Re: Force India VJM05

Post

Looks very neat, with the small intakes and huge undercut.

With the exhausts, I wonder if they are trying to blow that winglet that sits in the middle of the beam wing (monkey seat).

User avatar
roadie
39
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:52 pm

Re: Force India VJM05

Post

Interesting car! The sidepods seem to be a halfway house between STR's complete undercut and a normal one like the McLaren. I wonder if they took a decision to raise the CoG slightly for better aero performance?

Tyler
Tyler
0
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:50 pm

Re: Force India VJM05

Post

The Force India looks the ugliest of the lot so far!
It's difficult to judge the sleekness of the sidepods in comparison to the others.
Would be great if someone can put together some overhead shots for comparison.
They don't seem to be doing anything interesting with the exhausts - the McLaren and Ferrari look more innovative in that area.
I have a feeling the racing is going to be very close this year with multiple teams winning races and the majority of the teams barring Marussia and HRT scoring points, similar to how it was in 2008.
Even Caterham look like they've put a really good car together, that's been the biggest surprise for me so far.

King Six
King Six
1
Joined: Tue May 27, 2008 3:52 pm
Location: London, England

Re: Force India VJM05

Post

Tyler wrote:The Force India looks the ugliest of the lot so far!
It's difficult to judge the sleekness of the sidepods in comparison to the others.
Would be great if someone can put together some overhead shots for comparison.
They don't seem to be doing anything interesting with the exhausts - the McLaren and Ferrari look more innovative in that area.
I have a feeling the racing is going to be very close this year with multiple teams winning races and the majority of the teams barring Marussia and HRT scoring points, similar to how it was in 2008.
Even Caterham look like they've put a really good car together, that's been the biggest surprise for me so far.
The exhausts are blowing the beam wing, but I think looking at the exhausts on the launch spec for any car is futile, they'll try to experiment with all sorts over testing and practice sessions.

Sidepods seem very undercut and the rear seems quite tightly packaged, the front nose is the best of the worst noses so far in terms of looks/sleekness.

It's certainly prettier than the Ferrari and Caterham (the Caterham is still very boxy), but we still need to see real pics of the Caterham. Anyway year in year out people say the Caterham/Lotus is better than Force India, so I don't even bother commenting on that anymore.

It's abit of a shame how little credit and outright disrespect this team gets, especially compared to Caterham, who have achieved nothing, yet are treated like champions. Personally this is a very well packaged car. Force India seem to be doing even better after they offloaded alot of key personnel to Lotus/Caterham.

Francesc
Francesc
48
Joined: Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:44 pm

Re: Force India VJM05

Post

Image

Raptor22
Raptor22
26
Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:48 pm

Re: Force India VJM05

Post

Vasco wrote:Looks very neat, with the small intakes and huge undercut.

With the exhausts, I wonder if they are trying to blow that winglet that sits in the middle of the beam wing (monkey seat).

whats al the fascination with blowing this month...?

...
Last edited by mx_tifoso on Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed inappropriate and unnecessary comment.

King Six
King Six
1
Joined: Tue May 27, 2008 3:52 pm
Location: London, England

Re: Force India VJM05

Post

Raptor22 wrote:
Vasco wrote:Looks very neat, with the small intakes and huge undercut.

With the exhausts, I wonder if they are trying to blow that winglet that sits in the middle of the beam wing (monkey seat).

whats al the fascination with blowing this month...?

...
Ever since the middle/end of 2010 and 2011-onwards the F1 teams have realised/remembered (again) that the exhaust flow can be useful to the aerodynamics. Even if the FIA are trying their hardest to clamp down on it, it's not going to be completely forgotten, but history often repeats itself, if they forgot before they can eventually forget again, lol.

King Six
King Six
1
Joined: Tue May 27, 2008 3:52 pm
Location: London, England

Re: Force India VJM05

Post

Shakedown begins:

Image