Toro Rosso STR7 Ferrari

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
ringo

Re: Toro Rosso STR7

edit.. lets not drag out the floor thing.
For Sure!!

PlatinumZealot

jordangp wrote:
n smikle wrote:
beelsebob wrote:
No, the transition between the two is on neither plane, and doesn't have the mandated 25mm/50mm curvature as mandated by the rule Intego quoted.
But You can't see that part! :wink:

which rule intego quoted? In this thread?... I don't think it will apply to this..but if you can direct me to it. or tell me the rule number I will look at it.

Just out of interest - not directly related.. but look at these two.. the transition lies not on the step plane nor regference plane.. I think this is the free 50mm from the edge.. but still my design is all "flat" when viewed form below.

Article 3.12.4
The boundaries of the surfaces lying on the reference and step planes may be curved upwards with
maximum radii of 25mm and 50mm respectively. Where the vertical transition meets the surfaces on the
step plane a radius, no greater than 25mm, is permitted.
Still legal to my understanding. As you can see..that scoop is not a boundary and it is hidden from view from below.

πŸ–οΈβœŒοΈβ˜οΈπŸ‘€πŸ‘ŒβœοΈπŸŽπŸ†πŸ™

neilbah

you arent allowed any parts descending below the floor line.. regardless if you cant see thru the floor to any bodywork

PlatinumZealot

Which rules say that? I am trying to look..

I found it...
3.12.2 Additionally, the surface formed by all parts lying on the reference plane must :
- Cover the area which is bounded by two transversal lines, one 330mm behind the front
wheel centre line and the other on the rear wheel centre line, and two longitudinal lines
150mm either side of the car centre line.
Ok then I will try another design..haha.

PlatinumZealot

neilbah wrote:you arent allowed any parts descending below the floor line.. regardless if you cant see thru the floor to any bodywork

:idea:
To help overcome any possible manufacturing problems, and not to permit any design which
may contravene any part of these regulations, a horizontal tolerance of 3mm is permitted
when assessing whether a surface is visible from beneath the car. In addition to this, an
absolute vertical tolerance of +/‐ 3mm is permissible across the surfaces lying on the reference
and step planes between a point lying 330mm behind the front wheel centre line and the rear
wheel centre line.

Crucial_Xtreme

I believe Toro Rosso will definitely keep the twin floor for 2012. In an interview with AutoSport Ascanelli said he thought they(Toro Rosso) didn't get all of the performance out of the twin floor last year and quote "there is more to come". As well as saying
"I don't know if the other teams will take it. The vortex under the floor is very powerful and the elimination of the double decker diffuser [ahead of last year] made us hunt for areas to exploit."

Robbobnob

I wondered last year, with the obvious link with RB. is the STR a test bed for innovation that Prodromou or Newey feel has benefits in exploring?

Just a wild theory, but the STR6 definitely had pace to be exploited, proved by their strong showing at Spa

just my two cents
"I continuously go further and further learning about my own limitations, my body limitations, psychological limitations. It's a way of life for me." - Ayrton Senna

beelsebob

I don't now why I didn't see this before, but just to be extra clear on the illegality...
3.12.5 All parts lying on the reference and step planes, in addition to the transition between the two planes, must produce uniform, solid, hard, continuous, rigid (no degree of freedom in relation to the body/chassis unit), impervious surfaces under all circumstances.
I think impervious may defeat you here ;)

ringo

when's the launch?
For Sure!!

Pierce89

Robbobnob wrote:I wondered last year, with the obvious link with RB. is the STR a test bed for innovation that Prodromou or Newey feel has benefits in exploring?

Just a wild theory, but the STR6 definitely had pace to be exploited, proved by their strong showing at Spa

just my two cents
I don't think Georgio Ascanelli is the kind of TD to let another designer(even Newey) throw wild ideas at HIS CAR(which is how Ascanelli seems to consider the STR cars now). I really believe the buck starts and stops with Ascanelli on the 2011-12 STRs.
β€œTo be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

β€œI've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

RB7ate9

ringo wrote:when's the launch?
It's supposed to be on Monday, though I haven't seen any specific time. I figure 1pm, GMT ish? Similar to Red Bull?

raymondu999

4.30PM UK.
ε€±θ΄₯θ€…ζ‰Ύη†η”±οΌŒζˆεŠŸθ€…ζ‰Ύζ–Ήζ³•

shelly

Crucial_Xtreme wrote:I believe Toro Rosso will definitely keep the twin floor for 2012. In an interview with AutoSport Ascanelli said he thought they(Toro Rosso) didn't get all of the performance out of the twin floor last year and quote "there is more to come". As well as saying
"I don't know if the other teams will take it. The vortex under the floor is very powerful and the elimination of the double decker diffuser [ahead of last year] made us hunt for areas to exploit."
Intersting quote about "the vortex under the floor". What could Ascanelli be referring to?
twitter: @armchair_aero

lombers

A quick update on the new car from twitter:
NobleF1: Just spotted the Toro Rosso nose in the pitlane. It joins the stepped trend. Let's see the full car later on
I guess that was expected...

timbo

shelly wrote:What could Ascanelli be referring to?
Vortex under the floor? :D
Well, why trying to read more than there is? The trick is how they create it, but some sort of vortex generators around the floor can be seen on most cars.