Setup Sheets

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
DaveW
DaveW

Re: Setup Sheets

mep wrote:I know about jacking effects but keep in mind that the suspension pick up points on the chassis are fixed (very likely) so changing the wishbone angle in front view is very difficult to achieve.
What about changing (or controlling) push-rod length, or, indeed rocker position. It's not impossible that "PPS" has to do with front ride height control, which, if hydraulic based, would probably require an independent measure to check fluid volume.
Last edited by DaveW on 21 Jul 2012, 22:22, edited 1 time in total.

Tommy Cookers
Tommy Cookers

GSpeedR wrote:
mep wrote:Also interesting that they mention the wishbone angle (12deg). You would not think that this is a variable parameter for the setup.
Assuming that "wishbone angle" refers to the front-view angle from horizontal, it gives an indication of the lateral/vertical coupling (aka jacking coefficient). It isn't exactly equal to the jacking coefficient, but it is easily measurable on an actual car. Measuring the arm angles is a quick/easy way to confirm or compare geometric settings in their software to ensure things are how they should be. Suspension coupling certainly has important effects on roll moments and platform control. Looking at suspension geometries of some of the cars this year (like the Ferrari), the teams are using significant amounts of kinematic anti-roll.
I've been going squitty-eyed peering at the TV for weeks, and have likewise got Ferrari in the frame for this !

Any views on how much is a significant amount ? (or roll centre position wrt CG ?) Anyone ?

(have searched old threads, honest !)

mep

Well you can just take a picture facing the front of the car and do some drawing to get instant center and roll center position.
The Ferrari should have a quite high roll center on the front therefore high anti roll even when we don't really know how high the center of gravity is. We can assume it has a similar height as the other teams.

Kiril Varbanov

One more setup sheet from me, originally located on my blog. A while ago I made an attempt to describe the basic stuff with simple words in terms of setup.

Code: Select all

Arrows A22, 2001

Kiril Varbanov

Re: Torro Rosso Setup sheet

Owen.C93 wrote:I thought I'd share this setup sheet from Torro Rosso at Hockenheim.
I took the liberty to modify what Owen has posted before, the same Toro Rosso programme for GER 2012:

Belatti
Belatti

Very interesting setup sheet that one of the Arrows. Check the steep rake. I cant understand the brake balance (50:42)
"You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." -Juan Manuel Fangio

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence." -Ayrton Senna

gato azul
gato azul

Belatti wrote: I cant understand the brake balance (50:42)
I could mean 50 bar front to 42 bar rear, something easy to check/set via the display for the mechanics in the pits.
That would explain, why the sum does not equal 100.
I guess that is what you where "wondering" about.
It would equal ~54.3% front and ~45.7% rear pressure

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

I hope you don't mind me posting this here. It's just tyre warmer temps for some team.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

hardingfv32
hardingfv32

In the above session script sheet note:

1) Why is there an effort to gather data with no DRS activation. What knowledge might be gained from this?

2) Why the call for constant speed 200kph T6 T11?

2) They call for floor flexibility test and tyre weight. Is tyre weight a wear measurement?

3) "P. Start: TQ4 - EM10 - RBP - 3 tyre warmig - EM3 - Pit off" Any ideas about what is being specified??
3 tyre warmig.... wouldn't the tire warming temp always be the same?
What is 'Pit off"?

Brian

Kiril Varbanov

hardingfv32 wrote: ...
1) Why is there an effort to gather data with no DRS activation. What knowledge might be gained from this?
This would be a baseline testing, a benchmark effort serving for future comparison base. No DRS because that's what is in the race.
2) Why the call for constant speed 200kph T6 T11?
Getting out of Turn 6 at Germany, which is a tight hairpin will give you an answer about your front downforce, hence the flap change (Angle of attack). The speed is relatively low (200 kph) as the max over there should be around 320 in racing mode.
3) They call for floor flexibility test and tyre weight. Is tyre weight a wear measurement?
I'm not sure here, speculating, but it should be related to grain and blistering - to what extent the tire degradation and potentially the pieces that would fall off will affect the total wear of the tire. This is related to floor flexibility, because rules changed, and the deflection tolerance is smaller.
4) "P. Start: TQ4 - EM10 - RBP - 3 tyre warmig - EM3 - Pit off" Any ideas about what is being specified??
3 tyre warmig.... wouldn't the tire warming temp always be the same?
What is 'Pit off"?
Practice start, Torque map 4, Engine Map 10, RBP should be related to KERS map (?) = "Regenerating brake power", i.e. how much to harvest, but I'm not sure about the tire warming and pit off.

My contribution on what the F1 teams see continues with this small picture (an empty setup screen ...):

It is a result of the partnership between Lotus F1 team and iRise software company - it's used to visualize the settings of the car.
I apologize for the small resolution, that's all I've got.

Kiril Varbanov

Setup sheets resurrected, courtesy of Toro Rosso:
http://f1zoom.fx1.nl/?year=2012&race=it ... 799&full=1

9 laps left in Friday engine, -2 degrees front wing.

Jersey Tom
Jersey Tom

Kiril Varbanov wrote:My contribution on what the F1 teams see continues with this small picture (an empty setup screen ...):

Are you sure this is public domain information? Doesn't appear in their press release.
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

Kiril Varbanov

Jersey Tom wrote: Are you sure this is public domain information? Doesn't appear in their press release.
To be honest, I don't remember where I got it from. It must have been from the Internet = available for everyone.
Issues? Let me know and I'll take it down.

Jersey Tom
Jersey Tom

I personally have no issue with it, I don't work for them. Was just curious if it was "officially" public domain or leaked.

Like LH's Instagram post of ATLAS data, it doesn't really give anything away... but on basic principles, leaking even the innocuous is a bad call.
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

olefud
olefud

...[/quote]

3) They call for floor flexibility test and tyre weight. Is tyre weight a wear measurement?
I'm not sure here, speculating, but it should be related to grain and blistering - to what extent the tire degradation and potentially the pieces that would fall off will affect the total wear of the tire. This is related to floor flexibility, because rules changed, and the deflection tolerance is smaller.

[/quote]

Just speculating; but could tyre weight be vehicle weight at the tire? Uneven tyre weights while probably not desired would also crank a bending load into the floor.