Ferrari F2012

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
aleks_ader

Re: Ferrari F2012

Hail22 wrote:
bhallg2k wrote:
Chuckjr wrote:Actually, I would think any lesser team would be SCRAMBLING right now to come to terms with doing something like that.
That's funny because it's exactly what I see happening with Ferrari right now.

Does anyone know if Ferrari is obliged to eliminate the more outboard exhaust housings if they end up using the more inboard exhaust?

If legal, would you want to do that?
If the body work remains its good for the flow of the air over the sidepods and forces it into the new beam wing ;) hope it is legal its longer bodywork :P
Its totaly legal... :wink: I made after short test some deep investigation and i figured out "al design of RB, Macca and Prancing horse team ARE LEGAL"
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

Pierce89

I see no conflict as long as said apertures fall within size regs, which I haven't noticed the holes getting bigger so I figure they do.
As long as they don't add up to more than 50,000mm2 and are no lareger than 350mm at any point.I'm an American stuck with a weird measuring system, so I can't really visually estimate those numbers easily, but I believe it's legal.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

MIKEY_!

Is that in any particular projection?

Pierce89

MIKEY_! wrote:Is that in any particular projection?
no only allwed area and size. projection controlled by tailpipe regs because it's an exhaust aperture and tailpipe has tightly specified loctation

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

MIKEY_!

Aren't you were talking about the cooling exits around the exhaust with the area you gave us?

BTW the 350mm is 13.8 inches and the 50,000mm squared is 77.5 inches squared if you're interested.

DAMNINice

Enhanced Diffuser pic:

REal men play with twins!

Pierce89

MIKEY_! wrote:
BTW the 350mm is 13.8 inches and the 50,000mm squared is 77.5 inches squared if you're interested.
Ahh! numbers my simple American brain can process. and yes the numbers I quoted are in the exhaust opening regs but those are what the exhaust pods consist of
Last edited by Pierce89 on 02 Mar 2012, 09:55, edited 2 times in total.

Pierce89

MIKEY_! wrote:
Ahh! numbers my simple American brain can process. and yes the numbers I quoted are in the exhaust opening regs

For future reference, if your computer is slow to react, don't hit submit again. :oops:

alogoc

DAMNINice wrote:Enhanced Diffuser pic:

nice pic only question is why is not working
THE F2012!
THE CAR THAN WON 2012 WORLD F1 CHAMPIONSHIP WHIT A TILTED ENGINE!

Crabbia

interesting to see the innner strakes and outer strakes at what looks like opposing angles.
A wise man once told me you cant polish a turd...

Crabbia

and as for the acer ducts being the their only outlet for cooling you can see there is a shroud around the crash structure in the pic above. Although i'm not sure that is new and im not sure if its possible for the sidepod airflow to exit here.
A wise man once told me you cant polish a turd...

MIKEY_!

I think the inner strakes are further forward in the diffuser while outer ones are at the back. The inner ones guide air past the end of the plank/reference plane as it narrows.

DAMNINice

Here a sketch of the diffuser shape and vanes:

REal men play with twins!

Richard

Some team talk posts have been moved to the team thread :arrow: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=12096&view=unread#unread

As a pre-emptive note - Testing chatter belongs in the testing thread. :arrow: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=12073&view=unread#unread

If your comment isn't about an object that is on this car then it doesn't belong in this thread!

bhall

OK. Going on the assumption that the outer exhaust housings are permitted when the more inboard exhausts are being used, the question is, do you keep them?

I think they should be eliminated, and I suspect that will happen, too.

I don't think the housings were necessarily designed with a downward slope for performance reasons. That downward slope kept the car legal despite the contradictory regulation calling for the exhaust pipe itself to be angled up.

3.8.4 Any vertical cross section of bodywork normal to the car centre line situated in the volumes defined below must form one tangent continuous curve on its external surface. This tangent continuous curve may not contain any radius less than 75mm. [Emphasis is mine.]

All bodywork in that area naturally slopes downward simply because that's just how contemporary sidepods are designed, so any related bodywork is required to follow the same curve.

Now that they appear to be focusing the exhausts on the beam wing, I don't see a point in keeping the old housings, even if they provide a cooling benefit or help to direct air flow to the back. I think it's better to have nothing there at all, because it's always easiest to move air through an otherwise empty space.

Does any of this make even a lick of sense?