Ferrari F2012

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Crabbia

Re: Ferrari F2012

i know its a gif and bad res but its the first time i've seen a directly straight down shot of the new exhaust layout. interesting to compare it to the launch one here.

considering how the new exhaust still bulges out away from the sidepod it really put into perspective how much the launch lay out stuck out of the car.

if anyone has a better top down shot of the new layout please post. i'd like to try do a side by side or slider overlay.
A wise man once told me you cant polish a turd...

alogoc

is this aditional flap on diffusor something others will now copy and is it allowed to put even more of them?

http://www.formula1.com/wi/0x0/sutton/2 ... 1my110.jpg
THE F2012!
THE CAR THAN WON 2012 WORLD F1 CHAMPIONSHIP WHIT A TILTED ENGINE!

Neno

alogoc wrote:is this aditional flap on diffusor something others will now copy and is it allowed to put even more of them?

http://www.formula1.com/wi/0x0/sutton/2 ... 1my110.jpg
seen last season on red bulls, if anyone copy someone that is ferrari. ofcourse, i dont say that is bad, but most of top team, last few years dont want copy nothing from ferrari! why, you see results and performances with their budget.

Crucial_Xtreme

Neno wrote: seen last season on red bulls, if anyone copy someone that is ferrari. ofcourse, i dont say that is bad, but most of top team, last few years dont want copy nothing from ferrari! why, you see results and performances with their budget.
I'm pretty sure this is unique to only Ferrari. There are two gurney flaps in the picture I don't recall Red Bull using two last year. Yes we have copied RB in the design of our gurney flap, but in the configuration pictured, no other teams have used similar solutions to the best of my knowledge.

tpe
tpe

f1316 wrote:Development of that obviously points to Ferrari's radiator layout (as Gary Anderson mentions in his BBC article) and that reminds me of the engine cover part they brought to China (was it?) with the central cooling behind the driver. I'm still fascinated by the fact that that part made it to the track but not onto the track.
Are we 1000000% sure that this photo was from 2012? I mean, it it nonsense to bring to fly away race a part and then you just expose it and not even test it...

Crucial_Xtreme

Here's the best look at the turning vane update introduced in China.

Reference picture

Spanish GP
Original Image

Interesting with what they're doing here. As it seems the white vane & the vertical vane are pushing flow away from the car.

sknguy

Crucial_Xtreme wrote: Interesting with what they're doing here. As it seems the white vane & the vertical vane are pushing flow away from the car.
I'd guess it's to stabilize, or shape, the air flow for the sides of the flat bottom to counter tire turbulence?

amouzouris

interesting thing is that here he is using the new turning vanes under the nose but he didnt in the race....whilst massa used the new ones!

bhall

Anyone ever figure out how the nose is different?

amouzouris

bhallg2k wrote:Anyone ever figure out how the nose is different?
the extended fw pylons are now painted black...which was also tested in mugello!! :lol: jokes apart...no not really

ema00

isomax89 wrote:[...]
chi si vede!!! hello isomax!! sorry for the OT and the italian but he follows the same italian forum (unless they are two different person with the same name :mrgreen: ).

however the Pit Stop in Spain seems to me very fast, italian "commentators" said that in bahrein they did it in 2.6 sec, is it true?

Crucial_Xtreme

amouzouris wrote:interesting thing is that here he is using the new turning vanes under the nose but he didnt in the race....whilst massa used the new ones!
Marc Gene commented after FP3 that they would make a decision soon as to which one to run. He said that they are very important to the car and the improvement is almost worth a tenth. Which makes me wonder why Fernando didn't use the new ones. Probably more of a balance & feel thing for him.

@Ben I saw James Allen say they had a new nose, but other than the black pylons(Mugello) I've looked at countless pictures and cannot tell any difference whatsoever.
Last edited by Steven on 14 May 2012, 23:24, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: we = Ferrari

Crucial_Xtreme

Ok regarding the nose or new nose, I think maybe(!) the new black(uppainted) pylons are longer. Now it's quite possible they have moved slightly the Kaspersky logo to or fro, but I think it's longer/closer to the driver.

I'm not sure about this. But maybe.

bhall

I wonder if the "new nose" isn't so much a new nose as it is a description of the deflectors attached to it. Or were they listed as a separate development?

Crucial_Xtreme

Maybe so. I also think maybe the radiators were moved ever so slightly. See pics below. I know they're different angles, but things are different.

Bahrain

Montmelo

Edit: Switched pictures & it looks like I'm wrong. Sorry. :(
Last edited by Crucial_Xtreme on 15 May 2012, 01:19, edited 1 time in total.