Ferrari F2012

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Forza

Re: Ferrari F2012

For the angle reference point use the bolts besides. The radiator layout is the same but the picture angle makes is look more agled.

Edit: Crucial switched pictures. I was referring to the picture that was posted before where there was no radiator attached.
Last edited by Forza on 15 May 2012, 18:23, edited 1 time in total.

reichsmarshal24

After qualifying, a lot of people were praising the improved traction of the F2012 based on its sector 3 times. However, I observed during the race that the Ferrari lost ground to the Williams on the final chicane which prevented him from overtaking on the straight with the DRS.

Is this still a rear downforce issue or more on the suspension side?

f1316

tpe wrote:
f1316 wrote:Development of that obviously points to Ferrari's radiator layout (as Gary Anderson mentions in his BBC article) and that reminds me of the engine cover part they brought to China (was it?) with the central cooling behind the driver. I'm still fascinated by the fact that that part made it to the track but not onto the track.
Are we 1000000% sure that this photo was from 2012? I mean, it it nonsense to bring to fly away race a part and then you just expose it and not even test it...
Well, all I can say is that it was posted on this forum as a picture from China which showed that part sitting outside the garage. I presume it was from 2012, but you'd have to ask whoever posted it.

If it is genuinely 2012, the only thing I can think of was that the part was faulty/didn't fit right etc. Why else would you bring it and not fit it?

kebab

reichsmarshal24 wrote:After qualifying, a lot of people were praising the improved traction of the F2012 based on its sector 3 times. However, I observed during the race that the Ferrari lost ground to the Williams on the final chicane which prevented him from overtaking on the straight with the DRS.

No. The traction has actually improved as Alonso was able to closing in in early part of the final stint. He only lost ground to the Williams at the later part when he ran out of rubber as he was on used prime compared to Maldonado who was on new prime.

myurr

reichsmarshal24 wrote:After qualifying, a lot of people were praising the improved traction of the F2012 based on its sector 3 times. However, I observed during the race that the Ferrari lost ground to the Williams on the final chicane which prevented him from overtaking on the straight with the DRS.

More likely that Alonso was trying to protect the rear tyres or they were already degrading. Towards the end of the stint he was starting to burn through the rears which is why he ended up dropping back from Maldonado.

Afterburner

Crucial_Xtreme wrote:Maybe so. I also think maybe the radiators were moved ever so slightly. See pics below. I know they're different angles, but things are different.

Edit: Switched pictures & it looks like I'm wrong. Sorry. :(
I think you're right crucial, i read they've changed the radiators layout on mugello, how much they changed it i don't know.

Mazdaboy

Some little updates on the front and rear wing:

Every race ends when the chequered flag is out!

mx_tifoso

Discussion about Fernando Alonso's tyre choices and performance at the previous GP have been moved to the respective thread.

Same goes for the pit stops, as that is now in the team thread.

Recently split is the debate on using 'we'; The use of 'we' in regards to teams and supporters.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

Crucial_Xtreme

via AutoSprint

Diffuser with Curved Junctions

In Barcelona to complete the Mugello Update package Ferrari now has a new diffuser characterized by curved junctions (1) between the vertical strake and upper part of the diffuser to reduce turbulence in this area. The same vertical strakes are not L-shaped as before but rounded (2) to improve efficiency. Also changed is the gurney flap (3) at the top that actually increases the number of diffuser channels. Also new is the vertical extensions (4) in the lower part of the rear wing end plates which acts like an extension to the diffuser

Evolved Rear Wing

The new rear wing, introduced at Mugello with McLaren-style end plates and several horizontal slits in the top (top circle) and twisted beam wing used in Spain- also the addition of mini flap(monkey seat) that was used on the old Rear Wing in Bahrain increases down force

Mr Alcatraz

Neno wrote:
alogoc wrote:is this aditional flap on diffusor something others will now copy and is it allowed to put even more of them?

http://www.formula1.com/wi/0x0/sutton/2 ... 1my110.jpg
seen last season on red bulls, if anyone copy someone that is ferrari. ofcourse, i dont say that is bad, but most of top team, last few years dont want copy nothing from ferrari! why, you see results and performances with their budget.
Except quick the release wheel nuts, and the pneumatic bit for it. :-"
Those who believe in telekinetics raise my hand

sknguy

Some posts have mentioned moving the engine exhaust still further inboard. And some others are mentioning that it's the hot air duct that should be moved closer to center. I suspect Ferrari needs to keep the exhaust working above the hot air ducts and that these air flows are needed to work together in some fashion.... seperately but in conjunction with each other.

The car has cooler air wrapping around the sidepods underneath the hot air flow of the "acer" duct, over which the hot engine exhaust is flowing, over which another layer of cool air flows over the top of all that. It seems to me they're having better success with layering these flows, rather than originally charging the hot air directly with the engine exhaust. This is just speculation, and I wish I understood more about aero and what the goal is for the diffuser deck and beam wing.

alogoc

Ferrari has aerod.traction problems not mechanical right?
THE F2012!
THE CAR THAN WON 2012 WORLD F1 CHAMPIONSHIP WHIT A TILTED ENGINE!

amouzouris

alogoc wrote:Ferrari has aerod.traction problems not mechanical right?
thats about right! they said from the beginning of the year that their problems were aero related...thats what they focused on and the car really improved! we can expect a good result as monaco as the car showed that it had good mechanical grip in montmelo...in the last sector which is mostly mechanical it was putting in really good times!!

xpensive

amouzouris wrote:
thats about right! they said from the beginning of the year that their problems were aero related...thats what they focused on and the car really improved! we can expect a good result as monaco as the car showed that it had good mechanical grip in montmelo...in the last sector which is mostly mechanical it was putting in really good times!!
But that's the rear, front is a completely different story, right Z?
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

amouzouris

xpensive wrote:
amouzouris wrote:
But that's the rear, front is a completely different story, right Z?
we'll see in about a week X!! :)