Red Bull RB8 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
raymondu999

Re: Red Bull RB8 Renault

On what grounds do you think it'll be banned though? I don't see any regs really of contention or borderline there - except perhaps their handling of the 50mm rule? Mind you I'm not entirely clear on the wording on the 50mm regulation anyways. Usually the FIA have banned these sorts of things between seasons and not during seasons.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

nash929
nash929

Cam wrote:Give it another race or so and it'll be banned.

That said, if they manage to keep it, they look very strong.
If it's illegal, what makes it so?

Cam

Interpretation. The RB was in a league of its own. A clarification will come. That 50mm is prime for it. Hope not though. Just can't see how the RB will be allowed to dominate again.
“There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.”
― Socrates
Ignorance is a state of being uninformed. Ignorant describes a person in the state of being unaware
who deliberately ignores or disregards important information or facts. © all rights reserved.

alogoc
alogoc

Re: Ferrari F2012

http://www.formula1.com/wi/0x0/sutton/2 ... ur3033.jpg

is this suspension tweek key to RB pace.because it was checked by FIA after the race?

http://www.omnicorse.it/magazine/19237/ ... e-tecniche
THE F2012!
THE CAR THAN WON 2012 WORLD F1 CHAMPIONSHIP WHIT A TILTED ENGINE!

GrizzleBoy
GrizzleBoy

Doesnt have to be illegal to get banned.

The FIA will simply deem it "banned from this point onwards" if the feel the need.

raymondu999

Yes but it has to be banned for a reason, even if illegality is not the reason. What was the reason the FIA gave for disallowing off-throttle during Silverstone last year? Does anyone remember?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

amouzouris

Re: Ferrari F2012

alogoc wrote:http://www.formula1.com/wi/0x0/sutton/2 ... ur3033.jpg

is this suspension tweek key to RB pace.because it was checked by FIA after the race?

http://www.omnicorse.it/magazine/19237/ ... e-tecniche
in the pre race show on sky...on an interview with horner they said that they did a last minute change on seb's car before qualy which was later copied on to marks car...and that that change allowed them to get pole...

edit: this should be moved to the rb8 thread

shelly
shelly

the strakes on the top floor are interesting (evolution of what williams showed preseason). Does anybody know why the 50mm height limit is not applicable in that zone? Seeing tha picture from tha back, I guess it could be because they are above the diffuser and the +50mm limit is applied counting 0 from the top of the legality box of the diffuser.
twitter: @armchair_aero

Nando
Nando

raymondu999 wrote:Yes but it has to be banned for a reason, even if illegality is not the reason. What was the reason the FIA gave for disallowing off-throttle during Silverstone last year? Does anyone remember?
From Wiki but should be somewhat reliable.
Further controversy erupted on the Friday of the Grand Prix when it was revealed that the FIA had allowed Renault-powered teams certain concessions over the ban. Where the ban prevented teams from running engine maps that simulated throttle conditions of more than 10%, Renault had applied for a special exemption to the rule on the grounds that running at 10% of full throttle conditions adversely affected the reliability of their engines. The FIA granted the concession, permitting them to run up to 50% of full throttle.[16] This sparked a protest from the Mercedes-powered teams, in particular McLaren. Red Bull Racing's Christian Horner responded to the protest, stating that the Mercedes teams had been granted concessions of their own to manage pressure within the crank case. The FIA agreed to review the exemptions granted to the Renault-powered teams, and the concessions allowed to Renault-powered teams were revoked ahead of the final free practice session on Saturday morning;[17] however, early reports indicated that the concessions granted to Mercedes-powered teams would remain in place, with Red Bull and McLaren team principals Christian Horner and Martin Whitmarsh seeking clarification over the matter with FIA technical delegate Charlie Whiting, who called an extraordinary meeting of the sport's Technical Working Group to resolve the dispute.[18] Due to the teams' dissatisfaction with the situation, the FIA has stated that it is prepared to withdraw the rule change from the German Grand Prix, restoring the Valencia specification of regulations, which would allow teams the freedom to run engine maps at their discretion, but require them to use the same engine maps between qualifying and the race.[19] However, team principals and technical chiefs failed to come to an agreement at an extraordinary meeting on Sunday morning, with the Ferrari-powered Ferrari and Sauber teams refusing to sign an agreement restoring the pre-Silverstone specifications.[20] At a second meeting among the teams on Sunday afternoon, Ferrari and Sauber agreed to the terms of the proposal, abandoning the ban on blown diffusers for the 2011 season.[21]
"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Tomba wrote:One thing is unclear to me though: is it clear that there actually is a duct for the big entry? Or is there only a real duct for the smaller entry hole?
I think the larger, front hole just vents directly through the side pod to the vents below and to the side of the original cooling vent at the rear of the engine cover spine.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

hardingfv32
hardingfv32

I am suspect of Vettel's performance indicating the RB has developed a better solution. I think that the fact that the second driver of most teams is not close to the first driver is an indication that the tire management issue is still problematic to even RB.

Brian

Matt Somers
Matt Somers

I'm sure I'll get flamed big time but in for a penny and all that

Here's my take on the Red Bull Tunnel Solution and perhaps a reason for the Driveshaft Fairing/Cowl

http://somersf1.blogspot.co.uk/2012/06/ ... lysis.html
Catch me on Twitter https://twitter.com/SomersF1 or the blog http://www.SomersF1.co.uk
I tweet tech images for Sutton Images

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

Just_a_fan wrote:
Tomba wrote:One thing is unclear to me though: is it clear that there actually is a duct for the big entry? Or is there only a real duct for the smaller entry hole?
I think the larger, front hole just vents directly through the side pod to the vents below and to the side of the original cooling vent at the rear of the engine cover spine.
This is correct. Big hole goes past gearbox out of the bottom cooling exit. Little hole is contained within a duct into the starter motor hole in the diffuser.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

raymondu999

Nando wrote:
raymondu999 wrote:Yes but it has to be banned for a reason, even if illegality is not the reason. What was the reason the FIA gave for disallowing off-throttle during Silverstone last year? Does anyone remember?
I think you misunderstood me. I was wanting to remember what exactly the FIA stated as the reason of the new rule. Eg. did they say that the off-throttle mapping wasn't environmentally friendly? Was it because "Bernie said so?" Or what?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

raymondu999 wrote:
Nando wrote:
I think you misunderstood me. I was wanting to remember what exactly the FIA stated as the reason of the new rule. Eg. did they say that the off-throttle mapping wasn't environmentally friendly? Was it because "Bernie said so?" Or what?
I think it's because engines are frozen and are meant to be as similar as possible (hence why Renault were allowed to increase power), when a team with a certain engine has a half second advantage over another I guess it needed to be normalised, even if it was from downforce.

Don't expect a completely logical answer though.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)