Red Bull RB8 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter does not belong here.
User avatar
aleks_ader
84
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:40 am

Re: Red Bull RB8 Renault

Post

bhallg2k wrote: EDIT: Perhaps Red Bull puts the engine in neutral for every braking event and uses KERS harvesting to take the place of engine braking. Although, that would likely contravene the rules on KERS energy storage limits unless excess energy can be discharged by other means.
Thats is imposible beacuse the KERS unit is atacth infront engine itself.. so if you put in neutral durin braking you lose engine braking and also KERS harvesting.. simply doest make sense...
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

bhall
bhall
244
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2006 8:26 pm

Re: Red Bull RB8 Renault

Post

There's no requirement for KERS be located on the front of the engine. And don't forget that Red Bull has placed at least the KERS battery on the gearbox in the past.

User avatar
aleks_ader
84
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:40 am

Re: Red Bull RB8 Renault

Post

bhallg2k wrote:There's no requirement for KERS be located on the front of the engine. And don't forget that Red Bull has placed at least the KERS battery on the gearbox in the past.
No no i talk about eletric/generator motor... Dont forget about that still very importand part of whole KERS unit... :wink: That is actually REAL mehanic link wiht tooth gearings atatch on the engine crankchaft and eventually on gearbox, diff... and eventually to the tyres.

Image

I recon this Scarbs blog...
http://scarbsf1.wordpress.com/2012/01/2 ... velopment/
Last edited by aleks_ader on Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

.poz
.poz
40
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:44 pm

Re: Red Bull RB8 Renault

Post

alogoc wrote:i heard a rumor that it's not the off-throttle blowing because RB or Renault has developed a system where driver actually don't let go of the gas pedal in the corner but cylinders are deactivating it self.......!

something like that anyway!
isn' t that illegal?

5.5 Engine torque demand :
5.5.1 The only means by which the driver may control the engine torque is via a single chassis mounted foot (accelerator) pedal.

bhall
bhall
244
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2006 8:26 pm

Re: Red Bull RB8 Renault

Post

aleksandergreat wrote:No no i talk about eletric/generator motor... Dont forget about that still very importand part of whole KERS unit... :wink:
No, I understood your point. I guess I wasn't very clear in making mine, though.

Most teams place KERS batteries underneath the fuel tank. Red Bull, on the other hand, placed theirs on the transmission. Because of that, and because the location is not mandated in the regulations, you really have to keep an open mind about KERS placement in general. You never know what an F1 engineer might do, especially one like Adrian Newey.

User avatar
Kiril Varbanov
147
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:00 pm
Location: Bulgaria, Sofia

Re: Red Bull RB8 Renault

Post

Preview picture from Craig S (@Scarbsf1) for Red Bull's solution here.

Seamus
Seamus
3
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:51 pm

Re: Red Bull RB8 Renault

Post

Kiril Varbanov wrote:Preview picture from Craig S (@Scarbsf1) for Red Bull's solution here.
10x man : )

User avatar
strad
117
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:57 am

Re: Red Bull RB8 Renault

Post

There would be no added engine braking and that is a huge part of it that they now depend on.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

bhall
bhall
244
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2006 8:26 pm

Re: Red Bull RB8 Renault

Post

strad wrote:There would be no added engine braking and that is a huge part of it that they now depend on.
Slipper clutch perhaps?

rayden
rayden
2
Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:30 am

Re: Red Bull RB8 Renault

Post

alogoc wrote:I think it a fact that Adrian Newey is a genius,but always on a border of legality!
As a designer, if you aren't on the border of legality, you shouldn't be in Formula 1.

alogoc
alogoc
-10
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:54 pm

Re: Red Bull RB8 Renault

Post

rayden wrote:
alogoc wrote:I think it a fact that Adrian Newey is a genius,but always on a border of legality!
As a designer, if you aren't on the border of legality, you shouldn't be in Formula 1.

for example the off throttle is banned but Newey just keeps persistentning on it because FIA stated the rule wrongly!

he crossed the border!

instead of the software FIA gave the teams to control engine maps the rulu should be very simple,any gasases that come out of the exhaust when driver relesees the gas are prohibited,put sensors on exhaust if it blows when off throttle vo-la illegal!

engine reliability!?

nonsense!
THE F2012!
THE CAR THAN WON 2012 WORLD F1 CHAMPIONSHIP WHIT A TILTED ENGINE!

beelsebob
beelsebob
85
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:49 pm
Location: Cupertino, California

Re: Red Bull RB8 Renault

Post

alogoc wrote:for example the off throttle is banned but Newey just keeps persistentning on it because FIA stated the rule wrongly!
No it's not, doing certain things with the engine mapping are illegal. The media over-simplified the rule when they relayed it to you.

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme
404
Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:13 pm
Location: Charlotte

Re: Red Bull RB8 Renault

Post

RB8 today in Silverstone

Image
via @tgruener

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme
404
Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:13 pm
Location: Charlotte

Re: Red Bull RB8 Renault

Post

Better picture of the RB8 today

Image

User avatar
Forza
238
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:55 pm

Re: Red Bull RB8 Renault

Post

Another set of close ups

Image

Image