Mercedes AMG F1 W03

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Crucial_Xtreme

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W03

First signs of a burned exhaust cover

via F1Talks.pl

Gerhardsa

yeah...i have been moaning about the burn marks since page one. you seem to be one of the only ones to have noticed it as well...

wjpbill

cirrusflyer wrote:Link to test times:

http://f1tests.co.cc/2012.php?rev=on

Not good at the moment!
Don't go to this website - it's got a virus on it

Administrator could you remove please ???

Crucial_Xtreme

Nice suspension details. Right click>view image for all pictures

@gerhardsa Agreed it's starting to burn. Let's see in a couple hours what it looks like. :)

Mr.S

Out of those 6 laps MSC only set up 1 TIMED LAP. An ULTRA slow 2.01.Something which I doubt is a proper timed lap anyway. Maybe a constant speed test kind of lap.

gridwalker

wjpbill wrote:
cirrusflyer wrote:Link to test times:

http://f1tests.co.cc/2012.php?rev=on

Not good at the moment!
Don't go to this website - it's got a virus on it

Administrator could you remove please ???
We've had false virus warnings from that site before.

I believe that it is using cross-site scripting (commonly known as XSS) to aggregate its data. This is a commonly used technique that can be used for many purposes (including virus attacks), but which can trigger false-positive results with some virus checkers even when there is no malicious intent.

Several of us have checked it out already and we believe that site is ok. If you don't want to risk it, that is up to you (of course), but I think it should be fine.
"Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine ..."

RB7ate9

Just based on Crucial_Xtreme's pictures, the fairings for the suspension don't seem as well polished as they ought to. I'll chalk that up to pre-season testing and changes as needed, the same with the push-rod adjuster cover.

Otherwise, I don't see why they would need three different intakes around the airbox. Engine, KERS, gearbox? Particularly since the crescent one behind the roll-structure was said to have inconsistent performance under yaw.

Schurcedes

The car has done over 300km already, it's not like this is the first time it's done a run to run into teething problems. The livery makes the 'burned' areas look worse than on the other cars.

snoop1050

i hope they didnt do a slow lap on purpose so the car would start to get really hot..

im just preying we wont see a car covered in gills all the time .... it was obvious last year at the coolraces without gills the car was pretty quick but for the warmer races when the gills were out the car turned into an aerodynamic turd

ovidiulucaci

yener wrote:Do they really have heat problems already?
I noticed that too!
It looks like burn to me. But so soon...... :-?
The hole exhaust system will be tested hard those days.

Raptor22

oh the skyis falling the body work behind the exahust plume is discoloured...

Yikes what else did you expect? hot gases flowing over paint work is not an indication of overheating...

RB7ate9

snoop1050 wrote:i hope they didnt do a slow lap on purpose so the car would start to get really hot..

im just preying we wont see a car covered in gills all the time .... it was obvious last year at the coolraces without gills the car was pretty quick but for the warmer races when the gills were out the car turned into an aerodynamic turd
I'm not disagreeing with you or arguing with you, but I'd like to know the particular cool/hot races that you're referring to and take a gander at the W02 and its results for those races.

RB7ate9

Schumacher does 1:25.032 for the fans!

FrukostScones

No monkey seat, just a split beam wing because of the high crash structure.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

Peetbeat

For me as a beginner, it is difficult to understand how Mercedes would like to try different exhausts. There is not much change in the aerodynamic design of the car, if you tried different exhausts?