Tales from the moderating garage

Everything about this website and its content. Here you will find update announcements or requests for feedback. Questions about layout, functionality, content, and your suggestions are welcome.
Scuderia Nuvolari

Re: Tales from the moderating garage

xpensive wrote:
strad wrote:I think our boy Richard has gone off the deep end with his Moderator powers. When he deletes little jokes that are there to lighten a thread that is getting argumentative and in no way are offensive. Way too much Way too serious Way out of hand!
Au contraire, I think richard is indeed what this forum needs in terms of active moderation.

Besides, if I was him I would have given you a board warning for referring to him as "our boy"
And I should be spanked with a hundred lashes from a wet noodle for saying that "four molecules colliding" is a big load of BS :lol: :lol:

marcush.

I fail to see the forum improving over the years unfortunatelly.the style of moving posts has made the whole thing less enjoyable for me ,a few ventures off topic are not detrimental to a quality thread methinks .not everything has to be black or white even in a technical forum.
I very much feel moderating should concentrate more on guys attacking each other in inapopriate ways or people posting things that may have legal impact..
I just don´t want to see any post flaming other people and in fact calling them idiots or whatever .If someone has the opinion someelse has a bleaked or reduced vision he may well voice this but still in a proper ways aand that includes irony and sarcasm which in my experience usually hints at some extra notches in terms of brain capacity on the side of the guy who posted..

wesley123

We can go on and on with this marcush, but in the end it wont change since 'enough guys like the moderating'. I have yet to see them, I have seen like 2 of them, compare that to a vast majority of forum members who dislike it.

I have said it so many times, without effect, others did it too, without effect. Topics become less and less enojoyable and more unreadable per minute, since we are getting quotes which arent in the topic, references to things said which arent in the topic and half posts. Not to mention there are huge gaps in the topics due to that. The mess becomes pretty much unreadable, and because of what? To categorize things?

It is useless moderating to categorize things, things are split up way, way too fast, as with the littlest it is split off. Then mods start saying 'only things about the car in this topic', but then when we actually do and there is a bit more talk about the great new rear wing they are having it is split up into its own topic, which is completely unneeded. The Lotus DRS thingy was split up. All great, but now we have talk about it in the merc topic, lotus topic, the split up topic, I beleive there is one for Merc's DDRS too. Why is that even needed? Not only has the DDRS system became a unreadable mess, it also causes 5 times the same thing. People are saying thins already said in the other topic, and why? Because it was just a little off topic.

90% of the time the off topic corrects itself when the topic isnt interresting anymore, too bad it is split way before that and we have another dead topic just doing nothing until some idiot bumps it 5 years from now.

Then on the other hand, members are flaming each other a lot of the time, no one does something about it. I do it a lot, I know that by myself that I am quick to call someone an idiot etc. I have only gotten a warn once, and that was after me and another member started calling each other all sorts of things. It was going on for days by then. Honestly on any other forum I would have been banned long ago.

Mods should take more attention that members are kept in line instead of topics, when that is done huge off topics are much less likely to happen and it keeps everything much easier to control.

Just food for thought, but would it be a possibility to let a topic be searchable by tags? For example the Lotus topic would have a DDRS tag, that would immediately show all posts containing 'DDRS' and quotes to which was referred to. That would save a lot of time for the mods to categorize things, since that isnt needed anymore. Also it would make much less dead topics that get bumped in 2017 by new, stupid, idiotic forum members.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

strad

marcush. wrote:I fail to see the forum improving over the years unfortunatelly.the style of moving posts has made the whole thing less enjoyable for me ,a few ventures off topic are not detrimental to a quality thread methinks .not everything has to be black or white even in a technical forum.
I very much feel moderating should concentrate more on guys attacking each other in inapopriate ways or people posting things that may have legal impact..
I just don´t want to see any post flaming other people and in fact calling them idiots or whatever .If someone has the opinion someelse has a bleaked or reduced vision he may well voice this but still in a proper ways aand that includes irony and sarcasm which in my experience usually hints at some extra notches in terms of brain capacity on the side of the guy who posted..
Sounds good to me. :wink:
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Pup
Pup

Holy Cow, Richard - on quite a mission this morning, no?

:lol:

Scuderia Nuvolari

IDIOT!!!!, I''ll have you know that I have NEVER (well almost) been called an idiot before and I think that it is Richard's fault, maybe not. What do you think Richard? Am I correct or should I just wait for the bashing of a lifetime?

wesley123

I can very well understand Richard motives behind it, and I fully agree with it. However I have the feeling it is a bit too late, the discussions have been going in full effort, and from what I've seen it went very well too(who would have guessed that), I havent really felt that any of the threads locked got the fanboy ying yang in it, but well it would head there eventually(or already had).

However one thing I do not agree with was that all these threads are locked, but bhallg2k's topic stays open, it even has as title 'dear fanboys...'. That alone already invites flame wars. I have to say that that was the only thread I have reported and I stand behind it, that one just had to be closed.

As said, all threads went fairly well, better than anyone would expected. Every of the threads were fairly well posted in their opinions and on that I feel that there had to stay at least one open for such discussions, but to leave the 'dear fanboys...' open, no, just no. However outside of that I feel that richard did the right job, all those threads would went into an flamewar or fanboy ying-yang eventually.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

notsofast

Instead of fighting the fanboys, why not given them a place to discuss/debate? As soon as a race is over, we could create a separate thread with a title like "2012 Brazilian GP - Post Race Discussion/Debate". I assume that moderators have an easy way of moving posts from one thread to another, so it shouldn't be too much effort to manage the traffic. The original thread might have to stay open in case the stewards publish relevant new information. Or maybe it's easier for the mods to just lock the race thread unless/until relevant new information becomes available. It seems to me that the new team threads have helped to keep the car threads clean. This proposal could do the same for the race threads.

flynfrog

notsofast wrote:Instead of fighting the fanboys, why not given them a place to discuss/debate? As soon as a race is over, we could create a separate thread with a title like "2012 Brazilian GP - Post Race Discussion/Debate". I assume that moderators have an easy way of moving posts from one thread to another, so it shouldn't be too much effort to manage the traffic. The original thread might have to stay open in case the stewards publish relevant new information. Or maybe it's easier for the mods to just lock the race thread unless/until relevant new information becomes available. It seems to me that the new team threads have helped to keep the car threads clean. This proposal could do the same for the race threads.
waste of bandwidth and Moderators time. Ban the idiots that cant take it somewhere else.

strad

I think Richard said all that needs to be said about site moderation philosophy here...
Also rich language that would normally be seen as an inappropriate can occasionally be appropriate, especially when the moderator agrees

He is saying that you can get away with shìt as long as you agree with the Mods. real nice.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Richard

That was a tongue in cheek comment about not deleting a reference to --- tyres. I'm sorry that its caused offence.

strad

No No Richard,,,It's fine...Now your biases in moderating are out in the open and explained. As long as one agrees with your point of view they are golden...If not they get hammered. Trust me...I'm not shocked,,just suprised you admit it.
Sir Stirling Moss