Tales from the moderating garage

Everything about this website and its content. Here you will find update announcements or requests for feedback. Questions about layout, functionality, content, and your suggestions are welcome.
hollus

Re: Tales from the moderating garage

Richard certainly showed some beginner exuberance. Human nature, and in the eyes of many not a problem at all. Now he is probably catching his breath, expect him to come back in a more, ahem, moderated way soon.
In my eyes, volunteer work should only be confronted with reactions from the neutral to the positive. Bashing a person that is doing it either out of altruism or in exchange for good feelings is kind of cheap. And don't forget that there is an orchestra director here, any sniping should be directed at him in any case. My opinion anyways, and there is enough opinion all over the place already, so I better stop.

To those bashing the moderators:
How many words do you estimate are being posted daily on this forum?
How many seconds would it take to read them all?
Rivals, not enemies.

Steven
Owner

Hollus, thank you for some understanding.

I also insist that moderator criticism is PMed directly to the moderators (by using the Moderators group), rather than complain over and over again in posts.

Pup
Pup

hollus wrote:Bashing a person that is doing it either out of altruism or in exchange for good feelings is kind of cheap.
What's cheap is that comment.

But hey, I'm sure you're not trying to belittle my criticism by labeling it 'bashing', since that's not allowed.

hollus

Wasn't aimed at you in particular, Pup, only by extension.
By the way, you have no PM button. I've missed it more than once, why is that?
What you write is often quite interesting and thought provoking, but one can only respond in a very public place, where often 5 extra pages have been posted.
Rivals, not enemies.

strad

I am beginning to see the reason for the push..
This place is populated by some of the rudest people I have run into on any forum.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Pup
Pup

Strad is right. The problem is that we've got a handful of people like that, but because of the way they post it brings out the worst in everyone. It puts us all on the defensive and so when anyone says anything slightly out of line you jump down their throat, like I did with Hollus.

Hollus, I've got my PM's turned off. It was sort of a pain keeping track of PM conversations that had spun off of the threads here.

Pierce89

Pup wrote:Strad is right. The problem is that we've got a handful of people like that, but because of the way they post it brings out the worst in everyone. It puts us all on the defensive and so when anyone says anything slightly out of line you jump down their throat, like I did with Hollus.

Hollus, I've got my PM's turned off. It was sort of a pain keeping track of PM conversations that had spun off of the threads here.
agree totally.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

Richard

Yes moderators do have a life outside the forum, I'm back now.

The volume of posts is much lower in winter. I've been of the site for roughly 2 weeks and when I click on "go to first new post" I'm seeing that there are more than 5 pages on most threads.

I'm interested about the "rude people", please do drop a note to moderator group by PM as Tomba mentioned. Then the mods can share notes and speak to the person if there is an underlying trend of negativity or stirring things up.

strad

If you need a guide to find them you're not looking. :lol:
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

strad

Hold it guys. I need some clarification. mx_tifoso
Has PMed me to tell me I should not give a thumbs up...or down I guess to others posts.
Isn't that like telling us that one forum member cannot agree with another?
If so the why have the smilies...there we have clapping,,doh...praying,,fiddling which I can only take as some facetious sympathy..We have bunches of them. Are we to not be allowed to use them?
Sir Stirling Moss

bhall

strad wrote:Isn't that like telling us that one forum member cannot agree with another?
I think that's more, "Don't encourage bhallg2k." It's perfectly valid, too.

Steven
Owner

strad wrote:Hold it guys. I need some clarification. mx_tifoso
Has PMed me to tell me I should not give a thumbs up...or down I guess to others posts.
Isn't that like telling us that one forum member cannot agree with another?
If so the why have the smilies...there we have clapping,,doh...praying,,fiddling which I can only take as some facetious sympathy..We have bunches of them. Are we to not be allowed to use them?
strad,

it's been no secret that posts with only smilies or "+1" are considered useless and may be deleted. In fact they usually are.

Also, one of my personal suggestions sicne the very beginning of this forum has been "Motivate your posts". It's still the case... It's actually quite simple, and the same as in real life. If there's nothing to add, just read and listen instead.

Richard

From the W03 thread...
mantikos wrote:How is Adamski's post (about car upgrades) that you moved to team talk NOT about the car?
This is silly over-moderation; one can't have any continuity of discussion with your heavy handed 'I am going to now move this to an irrelevant graveyard thread because I can' BS.
Adamski's post was good, and many of the replies were too. However, the car threads are meant to be about what is on the car, not crystal ball gazing.

wesley123

And in what way is that relevant to a team? I always though upgrades were meant to be on the car, not on the team. It is 1000 times more relevant to the car than to the team
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Richard

I've looked through the moved posts again, they're all about the team other than one that mentions an AMUS rumour about a new lightweight gearbox. It is virtually all team talk...
I think this is the time in the season, when teams are facing the 'do or die' situation.

About the uogrades in Mugello, it's still an unknown for all of us ...

I think there's added interest for the Mercedes upgrades since this will be the first bit of kit we get to see that has unquestionably been done under Costa....

Really looking forward to the upgrades Merc has hiding, especially the exhaust. They should be able to accomplish quite a bit during testing

I agree. Maybe they didn't feel that updates were necessary for the 4 first races, but upgrades are a must if you want to stay in the fight for wins

If true, I imagine Mercedes are having to massively re-evaluate their way of viewing, and simulating the world

Are you going to say the same thing about Mclaren because they seemed horrible in Bahrain

Costa is an aero guy I believe. Bob Bell....

Nope, Costa is working on the mechanical side....

Brawn said Willis will be primarily focussing on aero,...