Formula Sketch SB-01 - ScottB

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
jordangp

Re: Formula Sketch SB-01

I did a livery for your team, based on the sponsor contracts. Unfortunately you don't have a logo yet, so I just quickly mocked one up temporarily. Unless you like it, then keep it :lol:

ScottB
ScottB

Haha thanks!

I've actually been sat doing a livery tonight, still need a logo but should get that polished off tomorrow...

The car itself now has new sidepods, rear body work and modified diffuser and front wing... Hopefully enough to close the gap on those ahead...

ScottB
ScottB

Livery preview!

BalazsSzabo
BalazsSzabo

I also would like to give a try to his program. I have just downloaded it. Can you give me some pieces of advice how to start it?

Monster_Energy_F1

jordangp wrote:One thing I would say is use the aerofoils in the starter pack to make your wings! You are just using single faces, which is probably why your performance is right down at the moment. Take a look at my front wing and rear wing as an example, to see what I mean.
No! What you don't do is have a look at Andy's parts...

Even Adrian Newey doesn't understand wtf is going on with they're that complex! :lol: :lol: :D

ScottB
ScottB

Haha I'm working my way through the whole car again, calling it a B spec is almost a disservice, since only the nose come will remain untouched!

Thus far the car has new sidepods, rear body work, engine cover, air box and gearbox, the diffuser has been modified, the beam wing thickened up and lowered, the rear wing has a new shape and a proper short chord DRS will be added. Currently finishing off a Mclaren esque front wing, then there's some more changes to the rear wing, floor and suspension if there's time pre China...

ScottB
ScottB

Re: Formula Sketch SB-01 - ScottB

Hmmm this site seems to be a bit fussy about image uploads!

Can people see this one?

jordangp

Yep, I can see it now.
Can you outline what parts your working on, and what parts are new?

Also a tip is to take your time when designing. Don't try and get things finished as quick as you can. Make it smooth and flowing. Your design had a lot of sharp edges etc.

Look at the smoothness of real cars and some of the other models, and try to replicate them. Your car has a low face count, whereas, for example just my front wing is made up of a couple of a couple of thousand, which may well be more than your whole car by the look of it.

I hope this helps in your development of your skills. Always tray and make curves and smoothness, it'll be more efficient than sharp edges.

ScottB
ScottB

At the moment it's been more of a refinement of what was there, so replacing and giving thickness to everything as a better starting point to move forward from. Since the car that did the first 2 races almost everything has been at the least tweaked, if not outright replaced. While it's still on the clunky side, it's a lot less so, so will hopefully add a bit of pace to the car.

After that I can go back and start doing a lot more detail piece by piece.

N12ck

jordangp wrote:Yep, I can see it now.
Can you outline what parts your working on, and what parts are new?

Also a tip is to take your time when designing. Don't try and get things finished as quick as you can. Make it smooth and flowing. Your design had a lot of sharp edges etc.

Look at the smoothness of real cars and some of the other models, and try to replicate them. Your car has a low face count, whereas, for example just my front wing is made up of a couple of a couple of thousand, which may well be more than your whole car by the look of it.

I hope this helps in your development of your skills. Always tray and make curves and smoothness, it'll be more efficient than sharp edges.
for example, my sidepods are quite a few thousand each, work with triangles, they are your friend :)
Budding F1 Engineer

ScottB
ScottB

Oh I know, I just appear not to be using enough of them :D

I figure each time I redo it I learn more about what can be done, this car is much smoother than first couple attempts, as I'm sure the next car will be a quantum leap from this one! Hopefully this car is enough of an improvement to get it qualifying without worrying about the 107% rule, then I can focus on redoing parts slowly in far greater detail...

omar2726

What program do you use for these designs? How do you also simulate them? Thanks!
Is the glass half empty or half full?
Engineer - "The glass is twice as big as it needs to be."

Monster_Energy_F1

It says it in the first line -_-. Google Sketchup...

omar2726

Monster_Energy_F1 wrote:It says it in the first line -_-. Google Sketchup...
Yeah I know you use SketchUp, but what program do you use to simulate? Any CFD or simulation software?
Is the glass half empty or half full?
Engineer - "The glass is twice as big as it needs to be."

Monster_Energy_F1

This isn't my car. My car is Monster Energy Racing. But I don't think Scott uses CFD, however I'm not sure.