Formula Sketch SB-01 - ScottB

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
ScottB

Re: Formula Sketch SB-01 - ScottB

Nope, I have no CFD in this... How those who do use it do so is something I've been wondering about however. There is a CFD plug in for Sketchup, but it didn't like my model haha

jordangp

Yes, CFD is allowed, but is used by very few teams.

omar2726

If only some of the teams use CFD, how do you determine if your design is effective?

Thanks
Omar
Is the glass half empty or half full?
Engineer - "The glass is twice as big as it needs to be."

jordangp

omar2726 wrote:If only some of the teams use CFD, how do you determine if your design is effective?

Thanks
Omar
Well... if you qualify last, your design might not be as effective as you first thought :wink:

omar2726

jordangp wrote:
omar2726 wrote:If only some of the teams use CFD, how do you determine if your design is effective?

Thanks
Omar
Well... if you qualify last, your design might not be as effective as you first thought :wink:
Ah, I see. Thanks.
Is the glass half empty or half full?
Engineer - "The glass is twice as big as it needs to be."

ScottB

Think this'll be China Spec... It's more or less totally changed since the car that did the first 2 races.

The plan will be to go back and slowly redo the car in chunks in far more detail. At the moment I'm happy with the floor, diffuser, rear end, rear wing and suspension. Hopefully by the Mugello test can have another quite big upgrade pack!

Monster_Energy_F1

Alot better Scott! :D Also sent you a PM, have a look and reply please..

ScottB

Well almost 2 seconds inside 107%, so a definite improvement...

ScottB

The cars best finish yet in Bahrain, still only 17th, but an improvement all the same...

Work is progressing well on the C - Spec car, far, far, far more detailed, aiming for the Mugello test ideally but we shall see how things progress. Only the current suspension, rear crash structure and rear wing will be carried over. All being well I hope this new car will push the team into the midfield battle...

jordangp

ScottB wrote:The cars best finish yet in Bahrain, still only 17th, but an improvement all the same...

Work is progressing well on the C - Spec car, far, far, far more detailed, aiming for the Mugello test ideally but we shall see how things progress. Only the current suspension, rear crash structure and rear wing will be carried over. All being well I hope this new car will push the team into the midfield battle...
Just a hint... there is no Mugello test :wink:

However the Turkish GP is 2 weeks away.

ScottB

jordangp wrote:
ScottB wrote:The cars best finish yet in Bahrain, still only 17th, but an improvement all the same...

Just a hint... there is no Mugello test :wink:

However the Turkish GP is 2 weeks away.
Haha oh well... Barca GP then hopefully!

ScottB

Many, many hours later... I present the C-Spec SB-01!

The only carry over from the B is the suspension, rear crash structure, rear wing, beam wing and diffuser. Everything else is brand new. Obviously a massive step forward in modelling quality, still very basic, by intention. Next steps will be to add much more detail to the front wing, and winglets to the rear wheel brake assembly.

MIKEY_!

Much improved, keep that extra detail coming :)

ScottB

Thanks, early signs from Monaco suggest it has closed right up on the cars in front, on the edge of the mid field pace now, which is encouraging as there is still much development to do, and it's probably a circuit that doesn't favour the car, so a good step forward so far. :)