Variante: my F1 car

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
MIKEY_!

Re: Variante: my F1 car

looking forward to it :)

variante

Hi guys, here's the latest version. I've introduced a new nosecone and a new front wing. The FW is just an evolution of the previous one, while the nosecone is highly modified so to make it legal. However there's a problem with legality: it makes things way less efficient... that's why i need your help to improve the design. I'm open to any kind of criticism or suggestion.

Coming back from holidays,i just realised that Lotus and Mercedes have introduced that "Drag Reduction Device". Now take a look at my one year old solution... 8)

astracrazy

can i ask why you have gone for such a low nose when you don't need to?

variante

your objection is totally legit, but if i had used a traditional layout it wouldn't have been funny at all!
however, there's also an actual explanation: the high nose layout produces lift and other inconvenients, so i searched for a more efficient solution, that i'll try to explain in few words, though it'll be hard...
That's how it works: sacrificing part of the front wing, i created a "channel", between the wheel and the nosecone (on each side of the car), which brings a lot of clean air to the sidepods and RW. I basically compensated the loss of downforce with the low nose (which acts as a wing).
These are the consequences: less turbulent air approaching the sidepods, therefore smaller radiators; slightly higher drag but higher maximum DF.
This being said, i can't actually guarantee that my solution works (to process the data i only have my brain and a stupid 2d CFD)...
Do you think it could work?

NonNewtonic

I don't think the Monkey Seat is legal because the rules will only allow a single element wing

variante

are you sure? all i know is that i am allowed to do pretty much anything within 7.5cm from car's center line
Well, thanks anyway, i'll check

rich1701

I admire your efforts to try an make the nose cone generate downforce but in reality it is not as efficient as the high nose concept for the overall downforce of the car. Basically manipulating the upper surfaces of the car (to this extent) to generate downforce at the expense of 'undercar' downforce is always going to be the less desirable option with current regs. I don't think it would be ideal for aero balance either.

variante

Well, rich1701, looking at 2012 nosecone trends, it looks like you are completely right.
However no team has ever tried my exact solution, which is not simply a nose generating downforce, but it is just the reverse concept of modern F1 cars: instead of creating downforce with the Fwing and channeling the air to the sidepods/floor, i create DF with the nose and i let the air pass through some neutral elements of the FW ---> doing so i eliminate lift and i gain higher quantity of clean air to the sidepods AND to the floor (since the turbulences are created only by the nose, at 1/2 meter from the ground).
In theory i think it work, but i'm not sure about the exact interactions of the airflows... and this could be a serious problem...

machin

variante wrote: However no team has ever tried my exact solution.....
In theory i think it work, but i'm not sure about the exact interactions of the airflows...
Have you considered joining the Khamsin Challenge? You can try out your nose design and the Khamsin Challenge team will evaluate it for you using CFD.

The championship properly starts in 2013 but there is a trial event coming up.... more info here:-

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=13382
COMPETITION CAR ENGINEERING -Home of VIRTUAL STOPWATCH

Amireles

I sort of enjoyed the first nose cone you had, albeit illegal. Its nice to see people with different takes on design. :D

MIKEY_!

getting air to the floor by sacrificing some front wing and lowering the nose is a solution i looked at earlier in the year as well, i would be very interested to see how it performs in cfd analysis, nice work

wigglez28

Loving the car! The sidepods look like they could be legal as it is similar to the mclaren of 2011. I would love to show you mine but I don't know how to add a picture from my documents instead of from the internet.

variante

Thanks man
i'm sure the sidepods are legal, i'm not sure whether they are big enough to store everything or not (but i'm confident that they are).

About uploading an image, you should first join some website like imageshack, where you can import pics from your documents, and then you can use one of the links you are given to show us your creation (or maybe you ment "directly" from your documents? well, in that case i don't know... try to ask to AlpineF1, he said it was easy for him to make screenshots..)

Anyway, i take this opportunity to show you this. Made with Kerkythea.
(It is not the KVRC car)

astracrazy

if you want me to run a quick cfd sim on your nose i can? pm me. see if it works

AlpineF1

Very innovative is your KVRC car based on this or completely different??
And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high.
Ayrton Senna

My blog
Twitter
Facebook