What is Formula Sketch?

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
flynfrog

Re: What is Formula Sketch?

FormulaSketch wrote:
Tim.Wright wrote:
FormulaSketch wrote:I hope this has helped your understanding and I will be happy to answer any questions ANYONE has.
I have been dying to ask. How do you asses mechanical grip? Ive seen some cars with horrible supension geometry and there seems to be no requirement to specify even basic vertical and roll rates. So I came to the conclusion that it was just a cfd competition.

Yes its another complicationto add to your model but if the only development path you allow is aerodynamic, then you are always going to end up with a CFD arms race.

Tim
This year we have not took mechanical grip into huge consideration but of course we have not ignored it, next year depending on people’s views we might change this rule.
so how do you simulate Mech Grip? What tire model is used how do you know one geometry is better than the other?

bhall
bhall

So, Formula Sketch is a beauty pageant?

bcoxa
bcoxa

FormulaSketch wrote:
Dude STOP! Why are you doing this, everything I have said above it true and a 4 core pc with 16gb of ram... No wonder it took so long, you said it was a good computer that is not a good computer dude and a powerful pc for me would be a 64gb pc with a built in Linux sever port. And yes at that time we did use a different program we are changing a lot like I said before. The plugin is made for us so that is why we would not. And no its not guessed like I have told you hundreds of times before and I have answered every question I have seen tonight.

I would love to know the rest of the spec, and what is a "built in Linux server port"?
I'm not an engineer, just an experiment.

Tim.Wright

bhallg2k wrote:So, Formula Sketch is a beauty pageant?
By placing secondary importance on mechanical grip, Id say its more of a cfd competition. There seems to be some scope for some actual engineering albeit only aerodynamic.

Modelling the suspension around a lap would require a lot less computation effort than cfd, but its a different knowledge set you need to bring in from somewhere

Tim
Not the engineer at Force India

flynfrog

Tim.Wright wrote:
By placing secondary importance on mechanical grip, Id say its more of a cfd competition. There seems to be some scope for some actual engineering albeit only aerodynamic.

Modelling the suspension around a lap would require a lot less computation effort than cfd, but its a different knowledge set you need to bring in from somewhere

Tim
I'm pretty sure its just a pretty picture competition Tim.

FormulaSketch

flynfrog wrote:
Tim.Wright wrote:

Tim
I'm pretty sure its just a pretty picture competition Tim.
Wrong flyn. I do not wish to explain this again you have had your explanation many times from many staff. Sam.
Follow Formula Sketch on Twitter!

Visit our website
2013 registration opening soon! #FS13!