2012 Canadian GP - Gilles Villeneuve

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
FakeAlonso

Re: Canadian GP 2012 - Gilles Villeneuve

Crucial_Xtreme wrote:The F2012 looks pretty good. The updates brought for this race have definitely given them a step forward. Car looks pretty stable & traction is very good.
Crucial do you have a link for Ferrari race pace. Rosberg and HAM had a good race pace dont know about ferraris

GrizzleBoy

I think its time to stop calling the Ferrari a dog.

Hasn't been one for probably half the races.

beelsebob

GrizzleBoy wrote:I think its time to stop calling the Ferrari a dog.

Hasn't been one for probably half the races.
Yep, deffinately not a dog any more... It's not the quickest on the grid, but it can hold its own in Alonso's hands.

fiohaa

what is everyones obsession with constantly referring to that wall as 'the champions wall', constantly referring to it all the time.
its incredibly annoying.
oh yeh, there was 1 race many years ago where 3 champions crashed into it, big deal.

calling it the 'champions wall' now just seems absurd, it has absolutely no meaning. its a bloody wall, ok.

Guisson

The Wall of Champion's is to Circuit de Gilles Villeneuve what Eau Rouge is To Spa or 130R to Suzuka ..A Caracteristic of the Circuit ^^
It is called Wall of Champions simply because many champions crashed into it !

List of the drivers "champion's walled"
Damon Hill, 1996 F1 World Champion, in 1999.
Michael Schumacher, 7 time F1 World Champion, in 1999.
Jacques Villeneuve, 1997 F1 World Champion, in 1997 and 1999.
Ricardo Zonta, 1998 FIA GT sports car Champion, in 1999.
Nico Rosberg, 2005 GP2 Champion.
Nick Heidfeld, 1999 International Formula 3000 Champion.
Juan Pablo Montoya, CART Champion.
Jenson Button, 2009 F1 World Champion, in 2005.
Vitantonio Liuzzi, 2004 International Formula 3000 Champion, in 2007.
Kamui Kobayashi, 2008-09 GP2 Asia Series Champion, in 2010.
Sebastian Vettel, 2010-11 F1 World Champion, in 2011.
Bruno Senna, nephew of 3 time World Champion Ayrton Senna in 2012.
The task is,not so much to see what no one has yet seenbut to think what nobody has yet thought, about that which everybody sees. Erwin Schrödinger

ced381

RB_[Gnx] wrote:The Wall of Champion's is to Circuit de Gilles Villeneuve what Eau Rouge is To Spa or 130R to Suzuka ..A Caracteristic of the Circuit ^^
It is called Wall of Champions simply because many champions crashed into it !

List of the drivers "champion's walled"
Damon Hill, 1996 F1 World Champion, in 1999.
Michael Schumacher, 7 time F1 World Champion, in 1999.
Jacques Villeneuve, 1997 F1 World Champion, in 1997 and 1999.
Ricardo Zonta, 1998 FIA GT sports car Champion, in 1999.
Nico Rosberg, 2005 GP2 Champion.
Nick Heidfeld, 1999 International Formula 3000 Champion.
Juan Pablo Montoya, CART Champion.
Jenson Button, 2009 F1 World Champion, in 2005.
Vitantonio Liuzzi, 2004 International Formula 3000 Champion, in 2007.
Kamui Kobayashi, 2008-09 GP2 Asia Series Champion, in 2010.
Sebastian Vettel, 2010-11 F1 World Champion, in 2011.
Bruno Senna, nephew of 3 time World Champion Ayrton Senna in 2012.
Many of those don't belong in that list, especially B. Senna.
'09 Volkswagen CC Sportline 2.0TSI 'Jennie'

Just_a_fan

fiohaa wrote:what is everyones obsession with constantly referring to that wall as 'the champions wall', constantly referring to it all the time.
its incredibly annoying.
oh yeh, there was 1 race many years ago where 3 champions crashed into it, big deal.

calling it the 'champions wall' now just seems absurd, it has absolutely no meaning. its a bloody wall, ok.
Ummm, Schumacher, Hill, Villeneuve, Button and Vettel have all hit it in the last 18 years.

So that's 12 out of the last 18 year's World Champions who have hit that wall. Sure, that's only 5 blokes, but it's a lot of titles and at least 2 of those, if not 3, are seen as greats or potential greats (Schumacher, Alonso, Vettel).

Perhaps you need to read up on the recent history of F1 before you bemoan it's little foilbles...
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

fiohaa

Just_a_fan wrote:
Ummm, Schumacher, Hill, Villeneuve, Button and Vettel have all hit it in the last 18 years.

So that's 12 out of the last 18 year's World Champions who have hit that wall. Sure, that's only 5 blokes, but it's a lot of titles and at least 2 of those, if not 3, are seen as greats or potential greats (Schumacher, Alonso, Vettel).

Perhaps you need to read up on the recent history of F1 before you bemoan it's little foilbles...
out of the 5 blokes you'd mentioned, i'd already mentioned 3 - and those 3 all occurred in 1 race. 1.

so now to justify the name 'wall of champions', you're adding up the championships earned between those 5 blokes? that doesn't make any sense? the main reason for naming the wall a wall 'of champions' is mainly because of that year where schumi, hill and villenueve, all hit it in 1 race, and were all former champions at the time. I don't see what the number of championships each of the 5 guys have won have anything to do with it. If they'd hit the wall in every one of their championship years.....i'd understand. But they didn't.

If all these champions had hit the wall multiple times, consistently, during the course of say 15 years - I'd understand calling it the 'wall of champions'.

But its not exclusively champions that hit that wall, and it is a very rare event.......rare to the point of occuring about once, for 3 of those drivers. i remember button hitting it in the BAR, he wasn't a champion at the time.....
Vettell crashed into it..........during practice. That hardly counts.

any other history i should know?

how about naming la source at Spa 'the corner of champions'? Loads of champion drivers have gone off there.

Websta

fiohaa wrote:
out of the 5 blokes you'd mentioned, i'd already mentioned 3 - and those 3 all occurred in 1 race. 1.

so now to justify the name 'wall of champions', you're adding up the championships earned between those 5 blokes? that doesn't make any sense? the main reason for naming the wall a wall 'of champions' is mainly because of that year where schumi, hill and villenueve, all hit it in 1 race, and were all former champions at the time. I don't see what the number of championships each of the 5 guys have won have anything to do with it. If they'd hit the wall in every one of their championship years.....i'd understand. But they didn't.

If all these champions had hit the wall multiple times, consistently, during the course of say 15 years - I'd understand calling it the 'wall of champions'.

But its not exclusively champions that hit that wall, and it is a very rare event.......rare to the point of occuring about once, for 3 of those drivers. i remember button hitting it in the BAR, he wasn't a champion at the time.....
Vettell crashed into it..........during practice. That hardly counts.

any other history i should know?

how about naming la source at Spa 'the corner of champions'? Loads of champion drivers have gone off there.
The fact that three champions crash into the same wall during the same race in dramatic fashion seems to be more than adequate justification to name it the Wall of Champions. The fact that two more F1 champions have also crashed there (why shouldn't it count if they weren't champions yet, or if it was during practise?) makes it even more interesting. There aren't many corners on the calendar where many drivers crash so regularly and spectacularly either. If it weren't called the Wall of Champions, I think "ball-buster" would be an appropriate alternative name for this wall.

I also like to think that the name comes from the fact that, in order to get a great final sector time, you have to be inch perfect up against the wall - in fact, this is one of the trickiest corners in motor sport - so only the best drivers ("champions") can tame the Wall of Champions, if you will.

raymondu999

I think it's also due to the fact that out of those who have crashed there, there aren't many non-champions, if at all...
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Smokes

can someone send me a link to the live qualifing times for canada as i haaven't got sky...

FakeAlonso

Should Vettel get a penalty for this?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIZ5M72vV0s[/youtube]

SiLo

Yes in my opinion. It's a super aggressive move that would most probably get penalised in the race. If you look carefully I think Vettel's rear wheel touches the Williams front wing, there is a lot of movement in it at one point.
Felipe Baby!

Hail22

SiLo wrote:Yes in my opinion. It's a super aggressive move that would most probably get penalised in the race. If you look carefully I think Vettel's rear wheel touches the Williams front wing, there is a lot of movement in it at one point.
Clearly the FIA don't agree which i feel is a disgrace:

http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/2796 ... ith-senna/
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

myurr

Vettel has form with such unnecessary moves, and the FIA have form on letting him off. He also deliberately cut the chicane to get past Senna on another lap, something that is expressly against the rules (the FIA even updated the rules for this season to make it more explicit), and yet he gets away with that as well.